Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Xbox death lights

Alas, the three rings have hit my Xbox. What can I do?

Microsoft say it's not under warranty anymore and they want to charge 62 quid for the privilege of having it fixed, which will inevitably take weeks too.

Tried towel trick which worked for all of an hour. Might try it again tomorrow.

Anybody have a better idea?

Red light errors can be fixed for free by Microsoft for up to 3 years after purchase. They extended it about a month before my 1 year warranty ran out and it got the RoD. Outside that some people buy RoD xboxs for a decent amount which should contribute to most of a new one.

When I got RROD, the premium model's were being discounted. So I picked a new one up a bit cheaper :P

Try opening it up and see if any Heat sinks are a bit dodgy. You can also sell parts on Ebay. You won't make a fortune, but its a bit of dosh.

this is why you should buy a ps3 lads

according to my guy whose fixed three seperate 360's for the kids, ps3's are even worse for bother. I agree with another poster, sometimes the 'do it yourself' fix works and sometimes just for a while...bummer!!

I had mine about 5 years before the RROD - got a £3 clamp fix off ebay, took about 30 mins to fit in and it fixed it, but it died again after another 2 months. Just bought a 250gb S in the end as it was about £160 from game after promo and discount etc. not worth the bother trying to fix the old ones. The new one is about half the size and silent, and gets nowhere near as hot.

Microsoft say it's not under warranty anymore and they want to charge 62 quid for the privilege of having it fixed, which will inevitably take weeks too.

They used to repair this even when out of warranty as it's a known issue, now they've changed their mind.. We have 4 of them in our house and 3 have died with the same error in the last 12 months.. 2 of them only just outside the warranty which was deeply annoying.

MS will shaft you for the repair I'm afraid and if you combine parts to make a good one there's a high risk they'll blat the ROM if you can get it working..

I've had to bit the bullet and buy a new one, the new ones I'm hoping they've sold the issue on..

The only other option is to get out of this MS rip off cycle is to get a PS3, but personally I much prefer Xbox live and have many friends, family and work colleagues online with xbox live than PS3.

Red light errors can be fixed for free by Microsoft for up to 3 years after purchase. They extended it about a month before my 1 year warranty ran out and it got the RoD. Outside that some people buy RoD xboxs for a decent amount which should contribute to most of a new one.

They used to do this and not now.. 2 of mine died within the same week earlier in the year.. 1 18 months old and the other 15 months old.. They want cash to fix them both even though red ring of death..

In my eyes this is a con, a known error is a known error irrespective of age..

MS aren't as cash rich as they used to be as the IT market slips away from them, this is why they've cut back on honour repairs..

The new xbox, 'slim' as its called doesn't have any of the death light photos apparently anyway. Cheap to pick up now. £100 for 4GB one, £160 for 250GB one.

You can buy 16gb mem sticks cheap as chips now to extend the storage.. cheaper than bigger hard disk one.

Might be worth keeping your eye on this link... Brand new xbox's going for £99 from gamestation..

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-360-250gb-99-gamestation-please-read-description/1002846

• 4 weeks later...

Wheres the best place to get Xboxs fixed in Loughborough/Leicester?

Cheers

(I cant be arsed to do it myself! :) )

Fixing it yourself is probably less hassle than actually taking it somewhere to get it fixed, and a lot cheaper. It literally takes half an hour if you know what your doing.

Archived