Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Anyone built/build their own PC's?

What do you need to connect it to the Internet via wifi?

Network card. Don't think they're too expensive. Connecting to your router with a cable should be a lot faster and more reliable though if it's possible for you.

Network card. Don't think they're too expensive. Connecting to your router with a cable should be a lot faster and more reliable though if it's possible for you.

Nah it'll be upstairs, having a wire running through the house wouldn't be ideal. Deffo needs to be wireless.

Fox92 - why not? Local recycling centre if you're environmentally conscious :)

I might bin them then. Its a motherboard, PSU, two optical drives and a network card. Not worth selling, little value plus I didn't take care when handing them all because I knew of the little value.

Not sure if we have a recycling centre. Only live in a small town, we haven't even got a Morrisons! lol

You don't want to get a cheap motherboard. Cheap motherboards are likely to have been made with cheaper less reliable components and if you have a problem with the motherboard you may have damaged other components. Don't buy a super expensive one, but get a mid range one with the latest chipset.

Also Motherboards come in two sizes ATX and MicroATX, the MicroATX is smaller than ATX.

The motherboard you linked is micro-atx but the case is atx, if you are ok with having an atx case then get an atx motherboard, you'll most likely get more expansion slots without paying anything more.

Also a solid state disk for the operating system really does make a difference.

Ozwin

I'll just list the components that Custom PC magazine (www.custompc.co.uk) list for their budget model. It comes to £512 but includes a copy of Windows 7 which you may not need. I'd trust this lot to be honest. I won't give you links to the products on Overclockers though, I'm too lazy for that!

Case; Antec One Hundred

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H

Processor: AMD A8-3870K Black Edition

Memory: 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport PC3-12800C9

CPU Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2

PSU: Thermaltake SP-530PCWEU

Hard disk: 500GB Seagate Barracuda S T500DM002

Optical drive: Lite-On IHAS124-19

As you get some experience with this you'll start to build PCs using components that you trust because of brand, previous experience etc.

Edit: christ, don't take my advice. I've just typed all that in and realised the CPU includes integrated graphics. I really don't know how it will perform. Some Googling will tell you. But if you're stuck for a graphics card either way (or want to save some cash), I'll send you a FREE* ATI Radeon 3870HD. I only replaced it last year because it was a bit loud. If it turns out it's too slow, bin it. PM me if you're interested and we can work something out.

*Plus P&P :)

Real edit: I was curious, so I Googled the CPU:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/processors/amd-a8-3870k-black-edition-apu-1057509/review

Actually looks pretty good. I'm guessing by the name that the graphics portion of this chip is actually a 3870.

PS - you'll be hard pressed to find a mobo that doesn't include on-board LAN. Some higher end models will give you WLAN too. Add one of these tiny USB adapters to get wireless otherwise:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/18658448/-/Product.html

If you want it even cheaper, and you can, use your current case. When I built mine, I made sure my new motherboard was the same form factor as my current case (Micro ATX), so I saved a bit there and was able to use it elsewhere within the build.

Enjoy.

I'm in the process of putting together the following system:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k

MOBO: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

HDD: 500GB SATA III Seagate

MONITOR: 21.5" Phillips LED Full HD

Managed to get all the above for about £480 after much shopping around. My current system has a good case / PSU and DVD RW already so that has saved me a bit of cash.

A nice upgrade from my dual core AMD Athlon system....

I'm in the process of putting together the following system:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k

MOBO: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz

HDD: 500GB SATA III Seagate

MONITOR: 21.5" Phillips LED Full HD

Managed to get all the above for about £480 after much shopping around. My current system has a good case / PSU and DVD RW already so that has saved me a bit of cash.

A nice upgrade from my dual core AMD Athlon system....

If it was me, I'd make sure and go for 1600MHz of RAM, more likely to be able to OC it to 2000MHz, assuming your board supports the speeds.

Is there anything wrong with this?

http://tinyurl.com/7ujsey3

or this?

http://tinyurl.com/7jmtv6k

Dosnt look like it, unless they are a con artist, but you wont know that until they have your money. If you buy something off this guy though, let me know, because those prices are pretty damn cheap!

Edit : Having just looked at the bits seperatly, one thing i will point out, the graphics card is extremely cheap, you can pick them up for 30 quid. Not sure that'd be good enough to run new games. The processor is pretty cheap as well. plus the fact that it dosnt come with an operating system, so you'd be paying another £130 for a copy of windows 7 to put on it.

Dosnt look like it, unless they are a con artist, but you wont know that until they have your money. If you buy something off this guy though, let me know, because those prices are prettydamn cheap!

Edit : Having just looked at the bits seperatly,one thing i will point out, the graphics card is extremely cheap, you can pick them up for 30 quid. Not sure that'd be good enough to run new games. The processor is pretty cheap as well. plus the fact that it dosnt come with an operating system, so you'd be paying another

£130[\b] for a copy of windows 7 to put on it.

Only if you're a fool. Software4students.

I need a new graphics card, haven't got a clue where to start? Any recommendations? I am not very good at picking graphics card's.. Needs to be full height as well, not half height which I messed up on last time :glare:

I need a new graphics card, haven't got a clue where to start? Any recommendations? I am not very good at picking graphics card's.. Needs to be full height as well, not half height which I messed up on last time :glare:

How high performance are you after?

How high performance are you after?

Nothing major, I'm not a massive gamer. I play a few simulator games and Football Manager, that's all... My current graphics card is half height, so my cable always falls out etc

• 1 month later...

Archived