Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Best Story In A Game.

Just finished playing Uncharted 1 and 2 and I'm blown away with the quality of the story-telling, if not the actual stories themselves, though they're not too bad either. Though I think you'd have to go a long way to beat FFVII.

So what game has your favourite story? I'm thinking of a few, but I don't want to affect anyone else's answers.

Not a long way at all.

FF8.

I'm aware it's not an overly popular choice but I actually loved it, for some reason. I don't know why but it appealed to me far more than 7 when I was younger.

I think the Baldurs Gate series has a fantastic story too, to be fair.

Not a long way at all.

FF8.

I'm aware it's not an overly popular choice but I actually loved it, for some reason. I don't know why but it appealed to me far more than 7 when I was younger.

I think the Baldurs Gate series has a fantastic story too, to be fair.

I WAS loving FF8, but it was a 4 disc game and when I got to the 3rd disc, some 50+ game hours in, I found the disc was scratched beyond belief somehow (I'd bought it new and never had the 3rd disc out, so no idea how that happened.) By this time the reciept had long gone, in fact I probably had no idea which store I'd bought it from. I've often thought of replaying it... but 50 hrs all over again... I dunno. So I never found out what happened to Squall and co :(

I loved the card sub-game too.

If you don't mind a bit of obvious Rinoa-Squall cheese then FF8 is worth playing again just for the epic final cut scenes to be honest, they're about twenty minutes long if memory serves! Haha.

I think the game's worth playing again a few years down the line to be honest. Although I say that as someone who was quite young the first time round and didn't quite understand the draw system. Going back recently and playing it and actually investing in it, it was not only much easier (in the good way) but it was much more fun and involving.

I was going to say Bioshock but I think I'd say that has the best WORLD, not the best story. I don't REALLY think I'd say Bioshock has much of a story at all. The twist is amazing (and anyone that says it isn't has either hugely missed the point or has ridiculous expectations, or is just simply being contrary to "stand out") but the actual plot itself is mostly just trying to "escape."

Monkey Island 1 & 2, Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion or Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade in the early days.

FF7 had me hooked forever, played it through numerous times only to get to 100% completion. The graphics are now of rather stone-age likeness, but the story overshadows it all and still holds up well.

FF 8 wasn't bad, but already a step in a more "mature" way of making an RPG. I also found it a tad bit too hard and/or unbalanced. A friend of mine ripped a Japanese copy off the web (when it was still young back in 1998).

Didn't know a word, but surely made my way through the menus and such step by step. lol

I lost touch with story-based games, switched over to the FIFA and NHL franchise the following years.

Loved Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne and the original Resident Evil, though (but the latter more so for its creepiness factor).

Parasite Eve wasn't bad, either.

Oh, and Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

As for recent titles, I waited a long time before getting a copy, but Mass Effect 2 is epic. In particular the extra missions "Overlord", "Stolen Memory" and "Arrival" ("Lair Of The Shadow Broker" was soso-lala).

Monkey Island 1 & 2, Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion or Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade in the early days.

FF7 had me hooked forever, played it through numerous times only to get to 100% completion. The graphics are now of rather stone-age likeness, but the story overshadows it all and still holds up well.

FF 8 wasn't bad, but already a step in a more "mature" way of making an RPG. I also found it a tad bit too hard and/or unbalanced. A friend of mine ripped a Japanese copy off the web (when it was still young back in 1998).

Didn't know a word, but surely made my way through the menus and such step by step. lol

I lost touch with story-based games, switched over to the FIFA and NHL franchise the following years.

Loved Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne and the original Resident Evil, though (but the latter more so for its creepiness factor).

Parasite Eve wasn't bad, either.

Oh, and Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

As for recent titles, I waited a long time before getting a copy, but Mass Effect 2 is epic. In particular the extra missions "Overlord", "Stolen Memory" and "Arrival" ("Lair Of The Shadow Broker" was soso-lala).

They were fackin' brilliant they were!!

Resident Evil 2, all the way :D The GTAs, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire e.t.c

Bioshock had a really good twist in it

Totally agree with that one. Resi 2 was given much ore room and time to expand the story of the first game. Subsequent Resident Evils have gone a bit too OTT, still good, but just growing legs so to speak. I really enjoyed the 2 play throughs of Resident Evil 2, the story-lines happening simultaneously were really well synchronized. Code Veronica was good too.

Batman: Arkham Asylum was really good and I expect Arkham City to be as good.

The original Donkey Kong.

That poor princess tied at the top of that building site.. ill never forget the look on her face when i failed to save her time after time.. but those flaming barrrels were so difficult to jump, and them those ladders...and even when i thought id made it and saved her, that evil Kong just grabbed from my arms and took her away.

sob :(

This! Especially Baldur's Gate 2.

Also Dragon Age is worth a mention, especially the first.

Yes! Shadows of Amn without a doubt! :D amazing!

Also the classic Snes RPGs were frikin awesome, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, to name a few

I can remember Grandia on the ps1 having an awesome story, can't remember why though :dunno:

Yes! Shadows of Amn without a doubt! :D amazing!

Also the classic Snes RPGs were frikin awesome, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, to name a few

I can remember Grandia on the ps1 having an awesome story, can't remember why though :dunno:

The level of immersion in these games is great, and the funny/unusual Japanese story telling techniques covering a typical Western style-setting are entertaining. I'm not sure the stories themselves were that great though. I mean the dialogues and the fleshing out of lore were severely limited by the SNES format. :dunno:

Archived