Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Best Story In A Game.

I like all the Final Fantasy stories. The storylines in the Dynasty Warriors series are history based and I find the overall story and the separate character stories fascinating, i've even bought books and films based on the history since I started playing the games. I quite liked Vagrant Story as well, it wasn't a massive storyline but it was a pretty decent story.

For the Baldurs Gate fans, go to the official website. They're being upgraded and rereleased. Look class.

The original PC version is being re-released for iOS but there's no sign of ps2 dark alliance yet or the follow up on PC, shadows of amn. If sales are good then BG2 will be released though.

Can't believe nobodies mentioned any of the Elder Scrolls games yet.

Probably because the world is utterly fantastic, but the only two games to have a storyline to match were Daggerfall and Morrowind, both of which had really text heavy delivery which made it a bit more impenetrable than the later ones with less interesting storylines.

I think the problem with describing storyline in games is that its such a combination of elements - the actual predefined narratives are rarely any good, but its all about the delivery, in the same way that the story of most big movies is rarely anything good but something like Inception is gripping anyway because it has incredible design and a strong basic premise even if that's then hung around a fairly standard heist-movie plot.

For example, Deus Ex was mentioned here and that has a pretty dreadful story - its a mish-mash of absolutely every conspiracy theory in the world cludged together with limited style. But it has fantastically worked player agency within its framework, reasonably good pacing and a handful of reasonably well constructed side characters (who are then saddled with horrendous voice acting) along with its pretty weak central characters.

So really for me, game 'story' boils down to 3 things - the actual story itself (sense of place, plot, characters, etc.), the presentation of it, and player agency within it (though the latter is often perfectly acceptable to be an illusion, it breaks the suspense utterly when the only way to progress is to press a button that says "Don't Push" and bad things happen).

All of which means you're all totally crazy and the best game stories ever are Planescape: Torment and McPixel!

Archived