Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Raw Dykes

5 Albums That Changed Your Life

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean ACTUAL life changing albums then it'd be:

1) The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

I haven't eaten meat since this came out. I was about 15 at the time, had never particularly enjoyed meat, and I remember my brother announcing to my mum - upon hearing the aforementioned album - one day that he no longer wanted to eat meat. At that time, it hadn't even crossed my mind that I COULD stop eating meat, but I quickly followed suit. I guess that's a pretty life changing one!

2) Suede - Coming Up

I was a bit later - ok a LOT later - than most folk in terms of popping my cherry. 26 years old, in fact, and not for lack of trying. I'd been interested in girls since I was about ten years old, but suffered an overwhelming lack of confidence around them. Then I sang and played guitar at an outdoor gig at a friend's house and my soon-to-be first girlfriend was at the party watching. Whenever "Coming Up" (rather appropriately!) was put on the CD player, I knew I was gonna get laid. And she turned out to be quite insatiable, so I heard that album a LOT. Still brings a smile to my face when I hear any tracks from that album now. I honestly believe that if you added up the amount of times I slept with my subsequent girlfriends and my wife, I still wouldn't come close to the amount of "carnal pleasure" I had with her!

3) Adam and The Ants - Kings Of The Wild Frontier

Purely because from the moment I heard it, as an eleven year old, I knew I was no longer a "casual" music listener - I was an obsessive fan.

4) The Jam - The Gift

Contains some of Weller's more political songs, and helped shape my political leanings.

5) Radiohead - OK Computer

When my first girlfriend left me, I listened to this a LOT. Not how you might think though, I wasn't wallowing in my own misery. The album actually cheered me up! I think, after several spins, I thought to myself "I know, I'll get a lodger to help me pay the house, and I'll get Sky and watch all the football I can". Turned out that one of my brother's old school mates was looking for a place to lodge, and he turned out to be the perfect lodger - he didn't stay in much, but when he did, we'd have a few beers and watch the football, he paid his rent at the right time every month and best of all, he was clean and tidy so the house was never a mess. They were good times - freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted, money coming in from 2 sources, a shedload of football (though i did get a bit extreme with it, watching beach football and the ilk if there was nothing else on) and of course, my confidence had grown enormously with women after finally having a girlfriend. You could say i made up for lost time in the 2 years between then and the day I met my wife. :)

So, I guess I associate that album with a very "free" time in my life.

If i had to make a list of 5 significant albums, it would probably look something like this. Mostly entry level stuff, but if im thinking about life altering material, these just about sum it up.

Nevermind - Nirvana. (If im honest)

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu Tang Clan (probably add "The W" here too)

Low - David Bowie

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

Additional albums of significance. The Chronic 2001 - Dr Dre, Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg, Liquid Swords - GZA, Only 4 Cuban Linx Pti+ii - Raekwon, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus, Giant Steps - John Coltrane, Deceit - This Heat, The Ghost Trade - Camberwell Now, Avalon - Roxy Music, Marquee Moon - Television, Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth, London Calling - The Clash, Is This It? - The Strokes, Relationship Of Command - At the Drive In, The Smiths/The Queen is Dead - The Smiths, Treasure - Cocteau Twins, Spiderland - Slint, Significant Other - Limp Bizkit, The Blueprint (part 1) - Jay Z, The Idiot - Iggy Pop, Entertainment - Gang Of Four, Illmatic - Nas, Remain in Light/More Songs About Buildings and Food - Talking Heads. Toxicity - System of a Down... got bored here as im sure you have reading it...

If i had to make a list of 5 significant albums, it would probably look something like this. Mostly entry level stuff, but if im thinking about life altering material, these just about sum it up.

Nevermind - Nirvana. (If im honest)

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu Tang Clan (probably add "The W" here too)

Low - David Bowie

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

Additional albums of significance. The Chronic 2001 - Dr Dre, Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg, Liquid Swords - GZA, Only 4 Cuban Linx Pti+ii - Raekwon, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus, Giant Steps - John Coltrane, Deceit - This Heat, The Ghost Trade - Camberwell Now, Avalon - Roxy Music, Marquee Moon - Television, Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth, London Calling - The Clash, Is This It? - The Strokes, Relationship Of Command - At the Drive In, The Smiths/The Queen is Dead - The Smiths, Treasure - Cocteau Twins, Spiderland - Slint, Significant Other - Limp Bizkit, The Blueprint (part 1) - Jay Z, The Idiot - Iggy Pop, Entertainment - Gang Of Four, Illmatic - Nas, Remain in Light/More Songs About Buildings and Food - Talking Heads. Toxicity - System of a Down... got bored here as im sure you have reading it...

Relationship of Command renewed my love of rock music after becoming very blasé about it. I was totally gobsmacked by it.

PS. Teenage Riot is not an album, it's a track off of Daydream Nation (which would have been close to one of my five), but I guess that's what you meant.

Relationship of Command renewed my love of rock music after becoming very blasé about it. I was totally gobsmacked by it.

PS. Teenage Riot is not an album, it's a track off of Daydream Nation (which would have been close to one of my five), but I guess that's what you meant.

lol ballbags, thats funny, because i was debating wether to put it over Sister THE SONIC YOUTH ALBUM and i decided that even though Sister THE SONIC YOUTH ALBUM made my emotions tingle, i probably listened to "teenage riot: the album" more

Bona Drag - Morrissey

A bit of a lame choice as it's actually a compilation of singles and their 'b' sides but it took me ages to realise this at the time, and it hangs together better than most proper albums anyway, I reckon. I always think of this as the first 'proper' record I got my hands on, my formative years being spent listening to stuff that my older brother enjoyed, like Dire Straits and Billy Joel (such heady times). I'd always quite liked Morrissey and the Smiths but as a callow youth raised on daytime radio and my Mum and Dad's old fashioned tastes, and by default sucked into the mainstream world of recorded music, getting into anything vaguely alternative seemed like a huge and frightening leap of faith. I asked for this particular record because it had 'Suedehead' on it (which remains my favourite song to this day, more than twenty years later), but was amazed to find that I loved every single one of the fourteen tracks. Ouija boards! The Kray twins! Disability! Burning hairdressers! Rent boys! At last, someone writing about things I could relate to

Radiator - Super Furry Animals

This is one of those unusual records that you expect to enjoy but it massively exceeds your expectations anyway. SFA are always pretty eclectic but the mixture of dischordant glam stompathons, atmospheric ballads, two minute pop songs and barely listenable techno is spot on. I can definitely say it's a great album whether or not you're on a drug

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - David Bowie

It's probably not even my favourite Bowie album, but I bought it pretty much on a whim, and a bit like the slaying of the demon of my fear of alternative music, this destroyed my perception that music from ye olden times was somehow deficient or less satisfying than current music. It's very easy to focus on the here and now, and of course stylistically music evolves over time, like any art form, but it doesn't by default get any better

The Life Pursuit - Belle & Sebastian

I'd been a fan of theirs for years, but I was amazed by this when it came out and it's probably in my top three most listened to albums ever. It's just a perfect pop record to me - there's a lot going on in it, but not a note is wasted. It's a shame that a lot of other B&S fans seem to hate it, but this just goes to show how ridiculous and precious so called indie fans can be

Vauxhall and I - Morrissey

Morrissey again, sorry. After a slightly disappointing album (which in turn had followed a very disappointing one) my expectations weren't that high, but this is just beautiful, and is possibly my favourite album. Like a lot of my favourite records, there's a lot of instruments used and a lot of layers, but it all hangs together fantastically. Absolutely lush, atmospheric, frequently spine tingling in its beauty and seventeen years later he's not really come close to making another as good

Seriously? "Your Arsenal" is far and away my favourite solo Mozzer album. Then again, I was one of the few who enjoyed "Kill Uncle" as well. Funny thing was, when he released "You Are The Quarry", it got tone of critical acclaim, and it was probably my least favourite!

Agree on "Radiator". It FAR exceeded my expectations, and I love "The Life Pursuit" as well. Don't get the gate for it. All fine choices, incidentally.

Libertines- Up the Bracket

The Streets- Original Pirate Material

The Verve- Urban Hymns

KOL- Youth and Young Manhood

Tapes n Tapes- The Loon

The Hives- Your New Favourite Band

Bloc Party- Silent Alarm

Battles- Mirrored

Ghostpoet- Peanut Butter Blues and Meloncholy Jam

Kasabian- WRPLA

MGMT- Oracular Spectacular

Tom Vek- We Have Sound

Miike Snow - Miike Snow

The xx- xx

WU LYF- Go Tell Fire To The Mountain

Bored now but im gonna have an album sesh tomoz!!!

Archived