Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
danny.

To people with Macs

As a few people on here have Macs, I found an amazing app that speeds things up loads, esp. if it's an older machine.

It's called iDefrag - http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php it's a bit like defrag programs for windows, it also moves all your OS X files and apps together on the hard drive which makes the boot time loads less and the apps much quicker to launch.

I have zero affiliation with the company, but bought it the other week as my iMac was running slowly (it has a LOT of large files moving back and forth on it), it now boots in about 30 secs (used to take about 90) and most apps are opening in 1/2 - 1 bounce, where they were 5-6 bounces before.

Also used it on my laptop and another iMac and it's massively sped them all up - complete bargain for 20 odd quid.

• 2 weeks later...

might look into this. my macbook is about 6 years old. sounds like a steam engine most of the time. i am currently looking at getting a 15"macbook pro, but seeing as i am a long way off being able to afford that yet, this may be a viable option.

i dont know why i keep saying might...

probably because in reality i wont... im highly suspicious of software like this for some reason. can you vouch for it being safe and everything?

probably because in reality i wont... im highly suspicious of software like this for some reason. can you vouch for it being safe and everything?

I've used it on 6 macs at work, about 10-12k worth of kit, not a single problem, in fact some of the problems like one of the iMacs not going to sleep properly were fixed. It's a great bit of software! Also recommended to 4 other people who have tried it and they have had great results too

As a few people on here have Macs, I found an amazing app that speeds things up loads, esp. if it's an older machine.

It's called iDefrag - http://www.coriolis-...com/iDefrag.php it's a bit like defrag programs for windows, it also moves all your OS X files and apps together on the hard drive which makes the boot time loads less and the apps much quicker to launch.

I have zero affiliation with the company, but bought it the other week as my iMac was running slowly (it has a LOT of large files moving back and forth on it), it now boots in about 30 secs (used to take about 90) and most apps are opening in 1/2 - 1 bounce, where they were 5-6 bounces before.

Also used it on my laptop and another iMac and it's massively sped them all up - complete bargain for 20 odd quid.

Hey Danny how ya doing, it's been a while.

What's a bounce?

I was thinking about buying CleanMyMac do you use that as well as the defrag program?

WARNING!

I bought this yesterday and after I installed it, the app tried to restart but all I got was the chime a grey screen then a black one with a flashing cursor. As you can imagine I was not best pleased. Fortunately I was able to get it going by using my Snow Leopard disk. I repaired the volumes and permissions and it restarted in Lion after that. No idea what was going on. So if you don't have a repair disk I'd recommend you leave this app alone.

Which?

I was referring to iDefrag, sorry for the confusion.

You cannot use your computer while it is defragging as it restarts in iDefrag only so best to do it over night. I ran it yesterday and it took about 6 hours.

Earlier in the week I bought 8GB of ram which helped a lot with running VMWare (only $50 from Crucial ), then 'CleanMY Mac', which wasn't that noticeable other than made some space on the hard drive. iDefrag has made a significant difference to the operating speed.

WARNING!

I bought this yesterday and after I installed it, the app tried to restart but all I got was the chime a grey screen then a black one with a flashing cursor. As you can imagine I was not best pleased. Fortunately I was able to get it going by using my Snow Leopard disk. I repaired the volumes and permissions and it restarted in Lion after that. No idea what was going on. So if you don't have a repair disk I'd recommend you leave this app alone.

that's weird, I haven't ran into that - to be fair though I have always ran it within OS X first just to analyse the disk and on a couple of machines it's said the disc/volume needs repairing, which I have done with disk utility before using iDefrag. Had no other problems with the rebooting part though.

As you say, it takes ages so run overnight as you can't use your mac while it's running.

edit: if you have lion you dont need a repair disk, hold down alt/option when it chimes when booting up then select recovery HD and within 20-30 secs it boots into the lion equiv of booting off the snow leopard DVD only about 20 times faster, and you can use disk utility there

Hey Danny how ya doing, it's been a while.

What's a bounce?

I was thinking about buying CleanMyMac do you use that as well as the defrag program?

Never tried cleanmymac - I do use Onyx ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx ) though which looks like it does the same kind of things.

Also, since you mentioned you use VMware, I bought the VM optimiser from same co that do iDefrag as I have about 4-5 VMs, seems to have sped a couple of them up dramatically too. Think it's about a tenner.

Never tried cleanmymac - I do use Onyx ( http://www.macupdate.../mac/11582/onyx ) though which looks like it does the same kind of things.

Also, since you mentioned you use VMware, I bought the VM optimiser from same co that do iDefrag as I have about 4-5 VMs, seems to have sped a couple of them up dramatically too. Think it's about a tenner.

I use Deffragler (free) in Windows and that seemed to help with VMWare. I have wondered if I have it set up right. I didn't make a separate partition with Bootcamp and so just have it running as an app on the iMac. How are yours set up? Knowing how anal you are with your computers, I should just follow your methodology :thumbup:

I wondered how Lion restored from the disk but I was in such a fug over the black screen, I just did what I knew best without further research.

I've noticed a considerable upturn in speed in VM since the last couple of updates, Bruce.

I didn't, I was about to reinstall Windows on Bootcamp to see if that made a difference. Getting extra memory and allocating a lot more to VM has made a substantial difference.

I use Deffragler (free) in Windows and that seemed to help with VMWare. I have wondered if I have it set up right. I didn't make a separate partition with Bootcamp and so just have it running as an app on the iMac. How are yours set up? Knowing how anal you are with your computers, I should just follow your methodology :thumbup:

I wondered how Lion restored from the disk but I was in such a fug over the black screen, I just did what I knew best without further research.

I just run VMware fusion 4 with 4-5 virtual machines - optimised with the VMoptimiser thingy from within os x - they are running very quickly now

• 4 months later...

I've ran this and I'm having problems with sound. It doesn't recognise that I have internal speakers and is permanently on mute. I also can't even listen to anything through headphones.

Also, when I shut my screen and go into standby it won't start up again. I didn't have any of these problems before running the defrag thingy.

I've ran this and I'm having problems with sound. It doesn't recognise that I have internal speakers and is permanently on mute. I also can't even listen to anything through headphones.

Also, when I shut my screen and go into standby it won't start up again. I didn't have any of these problems before running the defrag thingy.

Oh, and I can't open Mail because it says that it's "Not supported on this type of Mac"

• 1 month later...

Archived