Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

R.E.M.

I agree to an extent their earlier stuff was better but thats true of many artists/bands that are around for such a long time. Bands have their time (if they're lucky) and REM had theirs in the early 90's but just because a lot of their later stuff weren't massive hits doesnt mean they still didn't release some good stuff.

No doubt as time passes their later work will become some of my favourites, as it isnt played to death. I know mr stipe was supposed to have disliked his voice but I believe he had a great voice, and unlike the mass of bands thesedays who all sound the same his stood out. I was never a big fan and I started to listen to their stuff years after they were popular, but theres a great body of work there. No doubt stipe will go solo and the band will reunite every now and then, it seems to be more the norm thesedays.

They always send me to sleep.

Of the thousands of CDs I've bought over the years I've only ever sold four, one of which was 'Out of Time'.

I'd be lying if I said they'd never done anything at all that I've liked but most of the time they bore me silly

But Out of Time was basically the album where they started to lose it. Before then, every album a cracker. They decided to go a little more radio-friendly with Out of Time, had a couple of hits, said, "Wayhey! Moooooneeeeeh!" and persued that course.

It's sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Correction: Gave us some real gems in the 80s and turned increasingly crap during the 90s. Got, or have had, all their albums up until Monster, at which point... meh.

Should have broken up 20 years ago.

I never understood the hate for "Monster". I thought it was a return to form and their best album in 10 years. Seems I'm in a minority there!

Archived