Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Dark Souls

IGN are running a diary up to the review date. Here are a few quotes taken from the first three of these...

I slayed Taurus – after more than three hours of continuous failure – with a final, desperate swipe, a death throe, milliseconds before he crushed me beneath his club for what felt like the 600th time.
It's also huge. In the Chain of Pain – the little email support group that a collective of Dark Souls reviewers is currently relying upon for tips and moral support, in the absence of the online community that will grow up around the game when it actually launches – one of my fellows reckons he's about a quarter of the way through the game after 60 hours. This is something that people will spend months playing.
People read this review diary, and they ask me "how in the hell is this game supposed to be fun?" Truth is, Dark Souls isn't fun, 95% of the time. It's the other 5% that you play for. Things are so incredibly difficult that even the tiniest victories bring you close to tears of joy and relief.

I don't tend to like games that look like this (ala Oblivion) but this looks immense. I think it's the third person view, first person games seem to be taking over and there's no charm in gaming anymore. This is almost like a throwback to when I really gave a shit about games.

Might pick it up, although I know i'll regret it once my controller's in a million peices on the floor.

The first review is in...

If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable.

IGN written review

Rather than completing a set of objectives and being led along to the games finish, the challenge here is clearly to BEAT the game. Old school. :thumbup: Games these days are too soft.

It will be epic. No doubt Skyrim will be too, but that's more likely to be a stroll in the park compared to this.

lol This game is getting zero publicity on the TV. Whilst Forza 4 and Rage take the limelight, alongside FIFA 12 and Gears 3, it doesn't even get a sniff...

22 reviews in and it's now on an average of 90 with Metacritic. Its lowest score of 70, courtesy of a wuss who complained it was too hard, compared to a very telling score of 90 from Edge, who always tend to be quite critical. Gamespot gave it 95 and IGN 90, that'll do for me. :thumbup:

Hurry up Friday!!!

Finally picked up a copy today.

Asylum Demon beaten on 2nd attempt. Missed the slash on the 1st attempt as I fluffed the controls so he made the first move.

Taurus Demon beaten on 1st attempt. Well chuffed.

I'm now stuck on the run from the Burg? to the parish. Beat down the mini boss in the area with the archers but soon after that and going through the gate I can't find the next fire. By the time I'm in that area some huge sword guy wears me down and that's it. Frustration sets in and I get worse and worse. lol

Great game though. :thumbup:

All I've heard is that this game is real hard, I mean it has proper joypad-against-the-wall potential.

I find it odd that the monsters you've killed seem to respawn, regardless of whether you die or use a savepoint (bonfire).blink.gif

The atmosphere is the most attractive thing about this for me.

Oh well, time to really test my frustration tolerance level - as long as it's easier and fairer than the Mega Man series whistle.gif, I'm all in.

Finally picked up a copy today.

Asylum Demon beaten on 2nd attempt. Missed the slash on the 1st attempt as I fluffed the controls so he made the first move.

Taurus Demon beaten on 1st attempt. Well chuffed.

I'm now stuck on the run from the Burg? to the parish. Beat down the mini boss in the area with the archers but soon after that and going through the gate I can't find the next fire. By the time I'm in that area some huge sword guy wears me down and that's it. Frustration sets in and I get worse and worse. lol

Great game though. :thumbup:

Best to wait for the knight to make his move first, keep your distance and thrust straight after he attempts to hit you with his sword. Never get too close! Unless he uses the flask then go in for the kill.

Is there actually a plot that drives this game?

There doesn't need to be. Unlike a lot of games these days where you go from one objective to the next, uncover this part of the story and then do a little bit of that, and so on, this is just relentless punishment from start to finish. It makes a change.

I'm all for story driven games but the majority of these, although well told, are way too easy. The plot becomes the focus rather than the game mechanics. Assassins Creed is a good example.

Dark Souls is just punishing, severely so. It never lets up, you think you have it sussed, and it breaks you again and again and again.

It's old school punishing. You make one mistake and you re-do a whole section over again and hope you don't screw it up a second time. If you do, more you the fool for doing it.

I'm still stuck between the burg and the parish. Can't find that flaming bonfire. :giggle:

Which bonfire are you after? The one under the bridge near the dragon or the one near the church in the parish?

I have the bonfire under the bridge under the dragon. It's the run from there, past the poison rats, through the archers and the boar (defeated that), and past the lunatic's with the knives. You climb to the top and go across the area where the boar was and then there is a choice of two directions. One takes you to a knight with sword (dead end with a treasure) and the other to a pikeman and another knight with a sword. Can't get past there at the moment. Almost had the knight last time and another showed up and 2 v 1, no chance.

So far the bosses haven't been the problem at all. That's the easy aspect of the game so far. It's getting from one bonfire to the next with 5 flasks that is tough. Extremely difficult. As a result I am levelling up at the burg. 4 hours in, level 16 knight class, is where I'm at. I'm collecting the souls to buy the arrows to get the drake sword from the dragon. Perhaps that might give me a slight advantage?

I will win through with this game. The more it tries to break you, the more I want to beat it. The fact that it is rock solid makes it all the more enjoyable.

Archived