Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

Pronunciation of Sven-Goran Eriksson

Individual fans doing the Poznan in the Family Stand.

Calling it the fvcking Poznan in the first place.

Couldn't agree more mate. Man City's claim to it is pretty tenuous (stealing the idea after one away game in the EL) last season. However, it has literally fook all to do with us and makes our fans look a but knobby when we do it cuz we can't come up with an original celebration of our own.

Couldn't agree more mate. Man City's claim to it is pretty tenuous (stealing the idea after one away game in the EL) last season. However, it has literally fook all to do with us and makes our fans look a but knobby when we do it cuz we can't come up with an original celebration of our own.

It looks good en masse, no denying it. It's just the patchy nature of it due to the fact that so many can't be arsed.

And doing it on your own while everyone around is standing round politely applauding is the most laughable thing I've ever seen.

Guest MattP

Gradel had to go to France to get his name pronounced correctly. Poor guy.

I do agree with guy who said sort out the moronic Yuke song and the Poznan 1st, it's not going to happen though, the intellect of the average person in this country isn't going up anytime soon.

Kids not knowing the words to When You're Smiling.

I agree completely although I'm not sure you can blame just kids for that one - when I'm there most people don't seem to know what they're supposed to be singing during the middle bit (and we sing it so fast that it's nigh on impossible to fit all the words in anyway...)

I agree completely although I'm not sure you can blame just kids for that one - when I'm there most people don't seem to know what they're supposed to be singing during the middle bit (and we sing it so fast that it's nigh on impossible to fit all the words in anyway...)

Just not singing it properly. Bollocking up the hand movements, getting the words wrong and singing it too quickly. All cardinal sins when it's our club anthem in my book.

Far more embarrassing than not knowing how to pronounce Sven's name correctly. He's our manager now and is doing a good job but our traditions existed long before him and will continue long after he's gone.

Isn't the Anglicisation of foreign words and names a pretty standard thing? If we're going to start down that road we've got a long thread ahead of us.

FuriousFox46, do you go around telling people in Anne Summers that it's actually pronounced "lon-jree", or walk past Zizzis saying "that'S broo-SKEH-tah, not broo-SHEH-tah"? It happens in all languages. If I went and lived in Spain I'd expect people to call me Alejandro, not Alexander. I'd hardly call the mispronunciation of Göran due to punctuation that doesn't exist in the English language "embarrassing".

It may not be the case, but this thread gives the impression that you recently found out how it was actually pronounced and decided to start a righteous post. I apologise if that is the case, but that was my first thought when reading it.

Why do we rush our chants? I've never understood it it makes everything sound terrible. When your smiling would be so much better if slowed right down, could become more a club anthem than how it is at the moment if people actually pronounced the words.

Why do we rush our chants? I've never understood it it makes everything sound terrible. When your smiling would be so much better if slowed right down, could become more a club anthem than how it is at the moment if people actually pronounced the words.

Perhaps people'd take a bit more care of them if they weren't our own....say, for example, if we borrowed them from another club. I've heard that Milwall have quite a spiffy one, we should start a thread to get that going....

There are many things that embarrass me about our fans at times.

That chant about Yuki Abe. You know the one I mean.

Singing 'This is a Shithole' while getting off the FT coaches.

Kids not knowing the words to When You're Smiling.

Individual fans doing the Poznan in the Family Stand.

Calling it the fvcking Poznan in the first place.

So somehow a shaky grasp on the intricacies of the Swedish language seem rather a minor concern I'm sure you'll agree.

:wub:

Isn't the Anglicisation of foreign words and names a pretty standard thing? If we're going to start down that road we've got a long thread ahead of us.

FuriousFox46, do you go around telling people in Anne Summers that it's actually pronounced "lon-jree", or walk past Zizzis saying "that'S broo-SKEH-tah, not broo-SHEH-tah"? It happens in all languages. If I went and lived in Spain I'd expect people to call me Alejandro, not Alexander. I'd hardly call the mispronunciation of Göran due to punctuation that doesn't exist in the English language "embarrassing".

It may not be the case, but this thread gives the impression that you recently found out how it was actually pronounced and decided to start a righteous post. I apologise if that is the case, but that was my first thought when reading it.

I can vouch for this.

There's a Polish lad in one of my classes who much prefers his name to be anglicised to Michael. Which I'm happy with because his surname is fvcking impossible.

I can vouch for this.

There's a Polish lad in one of my classes who much prefers his name to anglicised to Michael. Which I'm happy with because his surname is fvcking impossible.

Bit like Gary Lineker's on here.

I find it funny that Leicester fans still manage to argue about some of the most pointless of things like the pronounciation of the manager's name, even if we're playing more than alright.

Agreed

And like the shite do the tree's and sheep think we are rivals and everyone hates us.

Do manure fans care no and why do we.

And if we had a crap sqaud and no chance they would not hate us.

And i would think SGE don't give a fvck how we say his name as long as the boys are wining.

Praps one or two on here should spend more time thinking about that than what people think about us.

There's no harm in pronouncing his name correctly, it doesn't make you a ponce. I'm sure Sven doesn't really mind.

Woe betide those who take the piss out of Alan Young for calling Dannzy "Lee" and then say Goran (Gore-an).

:beer:

Agreed

And like the shite do the tree's and sheep think we are rivals and everyone hates us.

Do manure fans care no and why do we.

And if we had a crap sqaud and no chance they would not hate us.

And i would think SGE don't give a fvck how we say his name as long as the boys are wining.

Praps one or two on here should spend more time thinking about that than what people think about us.

Why would I care what people think of us? They don't care what we think of them

I can vouch for this.

There's a Polish lad in one of my classes who much prefers his name to be anglicised to Michael. Which I'm happy with because his surname is fvcking impossible.

My uncle's anglicised his name from Zdenek to Dean lol Still speaks with the strongest Czech accent, mind.

Archived