Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Your favourite bands growing up?

Which artists were you obsessive about when you were growing up? The ones you collected all the singles and all the albums by, knew all the songs like the back of your hand etc?

Mine were:

1981-1982 Adam and The Ants

1982-1987 Madness

1983-1987 The Smiths

1988-1993 Pixies

1988-1993 The Wonder Stuff

I never really had any "favourites" after 1993, though you could argue that in my thirties and early forties, I have become obsessive over Neil Young, Tom Waits, The Hold Steady and Drive-By Truckers. Those are all artists I consider "must haves" when they release new albums.

How about you?

Wasn't obsessive about any band but I grew up loving AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, The Clash, The Cure, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top etc.

Raised on a steady diet of classic rock.

Your parents raised you well. :D

Having said that, I never quite "got" AC/DC.

Early 80s - Duran Duran, Howard Jones, Utravox

Mid 80s - The Cure, Talk Talk, Psychedelic Furs, Depeche Mode, The Damned

Late 80s - Pixies, Sonic Youth, The Mission, All About Eve

Early 90s - Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Mercury Rev

all -ish. I'm probably forgetting stuff that I'll kick myself for later.

Early 80s - Duran Duran, Howard Jones, Utravox

Mid 80s - The Cure, Talk Talk, Psychedelic Furs, Depeche Mode, The Damned

Late 80s - Pixies, Sonic Youth, The Mission, All About Eve

Early 90s - Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Mercury Rev

all -ish. I'm probably forgetting stuff that I'll kick myself for later.

Well, although it's easy to look at your "early eighties" one and try to stifle laughter, truth is, I liked those at the time too.

Everything else there you listed is marvellous.

Well, although it's easy to look at your "early eighties" one and try to stifle laughter, truth is, I liked those at the time too.

Everything else there you listed is marvellous.

there is a thread on here where I had a scanned pic of a hand-written "my top 40" from the mid 80s... I'll try and find it - it's a good laugh.

Too many to mention but ones that spring to mind are:

Madness,The Specials,Funboy 3,New Order,Dexys Midnight Runners,The Skids,Teardrop Explodes,Ultravox,Adam & The Ants

Pet Shop Boys,The Cult,Echo & The Bunneymen,Talk Talk,Psychedelic Furs,The Smiths,The Cure

Deacon Blue,U2,Simple Minds,Big Country,Billy Idol

Loads more

Find it odd that no one has a few 'unfortunate' mentions on these lists.

I'm not proud of it but when nu-metal was at it's peak ('99-'02 (roughly)) - I was all over it like a paedo on jailbait. Not particularly pleased to say it but as a thirteen year old the likes of Limpbizkit and Korn got a shedload of play from me. Still know most of the lyrics to Chocolate Starfish..... so many years later.

Oh God this will be embarrassing. I was a kid/teen of the 90's when a lot of music was shite.

I admit that when I was 12 i used to love East 17. lol

I also went through a Whitney Houston phase around the time The Bodyguard movie came out, so around 1992 (i was 12), more so because i was infatuated with a girl at school that looked like her. haha

Then as i got older started listening to a bit of rap/hip hop which included Ice-T and Ice Cube, both of which i was a huge fan of. Also listened to lots of hip hop movie soundtracks and i remember playing the soundtrack to the film "Juice" all the time. Also used to listen to a lot of cheesy 90's trance stuff.

Then i left that phase and discovered guitar music, leading me from the likes of artists like Nirvana, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Metallica and many other bubble perm rock music.

Now i'm into all sorts, but my main love is for rock/metal but i listen to all sorts. Everything from Springsteen and Dylan to some classical. I'm no a fan of hip/hop or rap any more at all, but i can still see the appeal it brings.

Find it odd that no one has a few 'unfortunate' mentions on these lists.

I'm not proud of it but when nu-metal was at it's peak ('99-'02 (roughly)) - I was all over it like a paedo on jailbait. Not particularly pleased to say it but as a thirteen year old the likes of Limpbizkit and Korn got a shedload of play from me. Still know most of the lyrics to Chocolate Starfish..... so many years later.

Check my list above. lol

Had a healthy bombardment from Bob Dylan, Vin Garbutt, Billy Bragg, Max Boyce and Bruce Springsteen from my parents growing up and they've all stuck with me.

From my own generation RATM, Placebo, The Datsuns and Flogging Molly (in roughly that order) were all fanatical favourites in my teens.

In '84 about age 8 I was bangin this album out everyday.

SAXON

21or03o.jpg

Edit : And a big shout to Girl School, Megadeth, Venom, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and many more long haired people in the mid 80's. Then a big shift in my early teens to stuff like New Order, Depeche Mode, 808 State, The D.O.C, Low Profile, Eazy E, MC Ren, NWA, Cube's first solo album, PE, Too Short, The Prodigy's first two albums and hundreds more I can't remember right now.

All my money went on football and music when I was young but eventually I sold most of my records and gave the rest away. Big mistake that I regret. I had lots of pretty rare stuff that I can't even remember the names of. Imported shit and everyding. All vinyl. All gone. :(

The Animals

The Ivy League

The Rolling Stones

Barry McGuire

Hedgehoppers Annonymous

The Union Gap

Los Bravos

Ruperts People

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, and Tich

The Orange Bicycle

The Beatles

The Gun

The Who

The Move

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanks for the reminder :thumbup:

Four tops

Marvin Gaye

Temptations

Kinks

Herd

Quo ( obviously)

Dylan

Beach boys

Who

The Animals

The Ivy League

The Rolling Stones

Barry McGuire

Hedgehoppers Annonymous

The Union Gap

Los Bravos

Ruperts People

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, and Tich

The Orange Bicycle

The Beatles

The Gun

The Who

The Move

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haven't heard these. Any recommendations?

Archived