Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jay

your 2011 in music

seems the end of another year in music is just about done and dusted listend to some great artists this year, seen some great live shows but what are your highlights or disappointments?

Tell me the best and worst of your year in terms of?

• the must have Album of the year 2011
    Best New artist discovered in 2011
    Live event of the year
    Disappointment of the year
    The ok I'm slightly embarrased by this but I've really enjoyed the album and I don't care what you say choice
    Honorary mentions

the must have Album of the year 2011

FRANK TURNER - England Keep my Bones

Franz Nicolay

Live event of the year

The Flaming Lips (performing The Soft Bulletin), Dinosaur Jr, and Deerhoof at Alexandra Palace. Seriously the best thing I have ever seen in my entire life

Kasabian becoming even more of a Kasabian tribute band than I though possible

The ok I'm slightly embarrased by this but I've really enjoyed the album and I don't care what you say choice

Example Playing with shadows

Honorary mentions

SBTRKT, J.cole, Dels, Fink, Jono McCleary,Little Dragon

The Vaccines - What Did You Expect from the Vaccines?
    Kids in Glass Houses - In Gold Blood
    All The Young
    Live event of the year
    Only one I've been to! Kids In Glass Houses supported by Francesqa, Save Your Breath, Blitz Kids at HMV Forum, London
    Travis Barker - Give the Drummer Some. I love this man and his talents, but I just couldn't get in to this album :(
    You Me At Six's latest album. They've stepped it up a notch, went in harder. Moved away from the pop/rock.
    Honorary mentions
    Blink 182's comeback album. Better than I expected. Soul Punk by Patrick Stump which is a brilliant solo album from ex-Fall Out Boy frontman. He's a changed man now.
    Being introduced to plenty of bands, most notably Save Your Breath, Blitz Kids, Cut Copy, The Naked & Famous, Twin Atlantic, Daytrader, Day of the Sirens, Silversun Pickups, Augustana, The Deer Hunter

The must have Album of the year 2011

We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX

Nostalgia/Ultra - Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean

The Weeknd

Mikill Pane

Kendrick Lamar

Live event of the year

Ed Sheeran (Haven't got to many gigs this year)

4 - Beyonce

Honorary mentions

Odd Future, Big KRIT, Knxwledge, Wretch 32, Professor Green, Vanilla, Ghostpoet, Elzhi... probably more.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Mona

Live event of the year

Hundred Dollar Cigar supported by Oddbeat. (Only really been to small breakthrough gigs this year)

Noel and Liam Gallagher serving up reheated oasis leftovers in their first albums since the split

The Wombats - Modern Glitch

Honorary mentions

Far too many to mention but, Mastodon, The Vaccines, Screeching Weasels, Friendly Fires.

I have a load of LP's I haven't lsitened to yet, but really enjoyed Yuck, 'Yuck'.

Live event of the year

Haven't been to any. (tear)

none

Not sure if this is really embarassing but I really liked Birdy by Birdy.

Honorary mentions

The Joy Formidable, 'The Big Roar'

PJ Harvey, 'Let England Shake'

A Different Kind of Fix - Bombay Bicycle Club

Teebs

Live event of the year

Outside of a festival - Jimmy Eat World at Leicester's o2. Coming back home to see arguably my favourite band completely nail everything was such a joy. Closed on The Middle and Sweetness - completely perfect.

Within a festival - I wasn't a massive KanYe West fan pre-Coachella. After seeing him live, my opinion did a complete u-turn. Incredible live performer and one I'd urge anyone to see.

Titus Andronicus failing at being musicians at Coachella, after convincing my mates to go see them.

Turtleneck & Chain - The Lonely Island. I shouldn't like it but I bloody do.

Honorary mentions

Too many to mention...

the must have Album of the year 2011 - Tom Waits - Bad As Me (runner up: The Horrors - Skying)

Best New artist discovered in 2011- The People's Temple

Live event of the year - Drive-By Truckers at Leaminton Spa Assembly

Disappointment of the year - Haven't really had any. The fact that Neil Young never released a new album this year, perhaps.

The ok I'm slightly embarrased by this but I've really enjoyed the album and I don't care what you say choiceNoah and The Whale - Last Night On Earth, but then I don't regard that as embarrassing, so it might not count.

Honorary mentions - Summer Sundae Weekender, "Gloss Drop" by Battles, re-runs of "Top Of The Pops" from 1976.

Cant decide between We're New Here, King of Limbs, Wander/Wonder and Blood Lust

Vondelpark, Balam Acab, Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats

Live event of the year

Spiritualized Leamington Spa playing their new album

Nothing comes to mind apart from the Kevin Shields Loveless remaster being put back again but I dont think its ever going to happen

Calvin Harris, singles anyway

Honorary mentions

The wife, WU LYF, Mogwai, James Blake and Bon Iver

The Horrors - Skying
  • Best New artist discovered in 2011
    The Men
  • Live event of the year

• Disappointment of the year
    PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
  • The ok I'm slightly embarrased by this but I've really enjoyed the album and I don't care what you say choice
    The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?
  • Honorary mentions
    White Hills - H-p1
    Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
    Veronica Falls - Veronica Falls
    Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys
    My Morning Jacket - Circuital
    Youth Lagoon - Year of Hibernation
    Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
    Dum Dum Girls - Only in Dreams

Difficult but Friendly Fires - Pala - just for pure energy

]Best New artist discovered in 2011

Foster The People

]Live event of the year

Bombay Bicycle Club(but this might change as seeing FF next week)

The Strokes - Angles (lost their mojo in my opinion, look like a band who dont wanna be making music together

The Wombats- This Modern Glitch/ Jay Z Kayne West - Watch The Throne

Honorary mentions

Bombay Bicycle CLub-Different Kind of Fix

The Horrors - Skying

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See (they were also pretty epic at the 02 a few weeks ago)

The Joy Formidable - Big Roar

Noel Gallagher

The Naked and The Famous-Passive Me Agressive You

Metronomy - The English Riveria

Twin Atlantic - Free (underated scottish band if you like biffy you might like these)

:blink:

Don't worry, I'm well aware that not many people share this view!

I really just don't get the fuss. It's a listenable enough album, doesn't offend my ears. But that's about it, it just doesn't strike me as anything special - that's why it's such a big disappointment after the masses of hype and all-round rave reviews...

Saw PJ Harvey live at the Portishead-curated ATP thing at Alexandra Palace in July and blimey, she was dull as nails!

Titus Andronicus failing at being musicians at Coachella, after convincing my mates to go see them.

Pretty surprised by that. Saw Titus Andronicus at the Salford Lads Club last year and they were phenomenal...

The Strokes - Angles (lost their mojo in my opinion, look like a band who dont wanna be making music together

I don't think they like each other. Ever since First Impressions of Earth, or actually on that album too, there was in-fighting and I think they all recorded their own parts of the music at different places.

“Talk about not having fun– that’s the understatement of the year. I was balls-to-the-wall ****ed up, so it’s hard for me to judge.” - Albert Hammond Jr. lol

I don't think they like each other. Ever since First Impressions of Earth, or actually on that album too, there was in-fighting and I think they all recorded their own parts of the music at different places.

“Talk about not having fun– that’s the understatement of the year. I was balls-to-the-wall ****ed up, so it’s hard for me to judge.” - Albert Hammond Jr. lol

Steps hate each other more

Explosions in the sky - Take care, take care.
    WU LYF
    The Middle East
    The Head and the Heart
    Live event of the year
    Arcade fire @ Hyde park. Awesome support too, Mumford, Vaccines, Beirut.
    James Blake - really wanted to like this album, just couldn't. Still think he could produce a great album.
    No idea, whoever mentioned Beyone is a good shout but not particularly embarrased by it.
    Honorary mentions
    Ben Howard, Bon Iver, Lisa Hannigan

The Vaccines - What did you expect from the Vaccines?

Young the Giant

Live event of the year

N/A

Kaiser Chiefs (create your own album)

Never Shout Never - Time Travel

Honorary mentions

Kasabian, Ed Sheeran, The Wombats, Bombay Bicycle Club

Explosions in the sky - Take care, take care.

Well and truly unacceptable that I've not actually listened to this yet, saw them live earlier this year and they blew me away.

• The ok I'm slightly embarrased by this but I've really enjoyed the album and I don't care what you say choice
    The Vaccines - What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

The Vaccines - What did you expect from the Vaccines?

Don't you just love music :D

Well and truly unacceptable that I've not actually listened to this yet, saw them live earlier this year and they blew me away.

Don't you just love music :D

Take care take care take care is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I don't like to use the word epic because it's lost meaning what with the all the gaming use it has, but this album is epic in the truest sense of the word.

What was the gig like? I'm going to see them in Leeds in january :)

Take care take care take care is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I don't like to use the word epic because it's lost meaning what with the all the gaming use it has, but this album is epic in the truest sense of the word.

What was the gig like? I'm going to see them in Leeds in january :)

Live they were truly outstanding - at no point got tiresome (unlike, to my extreme surprise, Godspeed You! Black Emperor - one of my very favourite bands on record but in actuality worth only 10 or so minutes of listening to live) and they came across as very genuine guys, dispensing with all that "detached arty" stuff. They seemed to appreciate crowd reaction as much as the crowd appreciated them...

I realise that not all of these are strictly 2011..

Lushlife, The Subways, The Rolling Stones (:blush:), Maritime

Live event of the year

Pulp at Leeds, closely followed by Muse & Enter Shikari

Beady Eye at Leeds, Arctic Monkeys and RHCP album's were underwhelming

Well I found ymself downloading Marilyn Manson's greatest hits...

Honorary mentions

Nero, Turisas, Enter Shikari's live performances, Cage the Elephant

• 3 weeks later...

A Day To Remember

Live event of the year

Foo Fighters - Milton Keynes or Katy Perry lol

New simple plan album, Just shit!

You Me @ Six

Olly Murs :)

Honorary mentions

Blink 182 - Neighborhoods - Just a really good album

Don't worry, I'm well aware that not many people share this view!

I really just don't get the fuss. It's a listenable enough album, doesn't offend my ears. But that's about it, it just doesn't strike me as anything special - that's why it's such a big disappointment after the masses of hype and all-round rave reviews...

Saw PJ Harvey live at the Portishead-curated ATP thing at Alexandra Palace in July and blimey, she was dull as nails!

I think she's awful. I really cannot understand what the fuss was about.

Archived