Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Why Did I Buy That?

Let's have those skeletons out of the closet. Anything you bought which, when you look back on it, was a very bad idea indeed. If you're old enough to remember 7" singles, I would say that this is the format that I made most of my dodgiest purchases. The top of my shame list would probably look like this:

(incidentally, for the younger folk on here, downloads count as well).

1) Dennis Waterman and George Cole - What're We Gonna Get For 'Er Indoors?

2) Chas and Dave featuring the Matchroom Mob - Snooker Loopy

3) Bucks Fizz - When We Were Young

4) Paul Young - No Parlez (actually, I can tolerate his music, but the inclusion of his woeful rendition of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" means it must be on the list).

5) Toni Basil - Mickey

The fact that I was around twelve when I bought most of these probably excuses me a little. Would be interesting to see what embarrassing stuff I bought when I should have known better...

I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder. My first single. Stevie has done some great songs, but not in the 80s. What was he thinking? What was I thinking?

Take My Breathe Away - Berlin. Seriously, I had no idea as a teenager.

Countless A-ha singles...

Nothing wrong with Toni Basil though.

I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder. My first single. Stevie has done some great songs, but not in the 80s. What was he thinking? What was I thinking?

Take My Breathe Away - Berlin. Seriously, I had no idea as a teenager.

Countless A-ha singles...

Nothing wrong with Toni Basil though.

Astonishing to think she's nearly 70 now isn't it?!!

Robbie Williams - Sing When Your Winning

The Zutons - You Can Do Anything

The Script - Science and Faith

Scouting for Girls - Everyone Wants To Be On TV

Pendulum - In Silico

I've got some real crap (or had - I've loaded a few of those off to my little sister - she likes evanescence and paramore - there's no hope for her musically now).

Robbie Williams - Sing When Your Winning

The Zutons - You Can Do Anything

The Script - Science and Faith

Scouting for Girls - Everyone Wants To Be On TV

Pendulum - In Silico

I've got some real crap (or had - I've loaded a few of those off to my little sister - she likes evanescence and paramore - there's no hope for her musically now).

Admit it, you couldn't bear to properly get rid of them in case you wanted them back one day.

• 2 weeks later...

The first CD I ever bought was Superunknown by Soundgarden, think I was nine and found it cheap at a car boot or something. Don't regret that, in fact I don't think I've ever bought a CD I later think was a bad choice, I've got albums I rarely listen to nowadays from years ago (Example - System of a Down - Toxicity), but I'd have bought them for a reason at the time.

Gonna give that album a listen now, actually. Takes me back. Chop Suey!

REM - Out of Time. I think it would take a lot of effort to make a duller record.

The second and third Oasis albums and all the singles off them. Be Here Now! If only I'd been elsewhere

I liked it at the time. Looking back, it was probably their weakest album up to that point, yet it was the one that propelled them to worldwide fame.

Jason Donovan - When you come back to me.

A very worthy contender for this thread indeed.

If we ARE indeed looking for a "winner", that may well be it...though I must sheepishly confess I also bought one of his singles - the cover of "Sealed With A Kiss". Not sure which is worse, but I don't even have the excuse of being a kid, as I was 19 at that point...

Archived