Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Publishing a Mag/Book via iTunes

Hi folks, just looking for some input from the tech genii? of FT.

I have a friend who produces a magazine (print copy), he wants to put it on to iTunes or via the bookstore, can anyone guide me as to how and where he can do it. We have googled and gone to apple, but im not finding the answer i need. Specifically...

He has the epub version of the book, what are the steps to list it for sale/giveaway on iTunes/bookstore.

Any help most appreciated.

I didn't actually know you could do this, and it is a good idea actually. Don't know if it is any help, but I have just read the following:

How do I sign up to sell my books on the iBookstore?

To sign up to sell your books on the iBookstore, complete the an application.

Should I work directly with Apple or go through an aggregator?

You can sign up to sell your books directly using iTunes Connect. However, if you are not sure how to create digital editions of your titles, or if you have other operational or financial needs, it may be best to work with an aggregator. Aggregators are experts in ePub conversion, formatting, marketing, promotion, and price optimization. For a nominal charge, they can format your book to Apple’s specifications so that it uploads correctly the first time, and they can distribute your book across multiple channels.

Do I need an iTunes account to apply to sell my books?

Yes, we require an iTunes account and a current credit card on file. If you don’t have an iTunes account, you can create one on the iTunes Store.

How much does it cost?

There are no fees associated with setting up an account. More details regarding sales terms are available during the sign-up process.

Why do I need an ISBN?

An ISBN (International Standard Book Number) uniquely identifies the book and its current edition, and helps sellers ensure that they are marketing the right book. In the U.S., you can obtain an ISBN by visiting www.myidentifiers.com Outside the U.S., visit www.isbn-international.org/agency.

The print edition of my book already has an ISBN. Can I use it for the version that I’m submitting to the iBookstore?

No. Print and digital editions of the same book must have different ISBNs.

Do I need a U.S. Tax ID?

Yes, we require a U.S. Tax ID as part of the iTunes Connect sign-up and authentication process. This requirement also applies to publishers outside the U.S.

Be sure to enter your U.S. Tax ID correctly when applying. If you are prompted to complete U.S. tax forms on iTunes Connect, you must use the same U.S. Tax ID.

I get an error message that the first or last name I entered does not match the name on file for the iTunes Store account I entered. What do I do?

Reenter your iTunes account information or go to the iTunes Store and update the name on file.

I already have an iTunes Connect account to sell another media type (apps, music, TV content, or movies). Can I use it for the iBookstore?

If you currently have an iTunes Connect account to sell another media type, you cannot create a second iTunes Connect account with the same Apple ID. You’ll need to set up a new Apple ID and use it to complete a separate book application.

Who should apply for the iBookstore on behalf of my company?

Someone with signature authority should apply to sell books on the iBookstore. Only that individual can accept the standard iBookstore contract on iTunes Connect.

I’m being prompted to enter my legal name. What name should I use?

If you’re registered as a company, enter your legal entity name. If you’re signing up as an individual, enter your first and last names. The legal name you enter should match the name affiliated with the U.S. Tax ID and Tax ID type that you provide with your application. This name will also appear as the seller’s name on all your books listed in the iBookstore.

How will I be notified of my application status?

You will be notified via email. Check any spam filters on your email account and make sure your account is set up to receive email from [email protected].

Do you accept PDFs?

No, the iBookstore accepts only ePub files.

What’s an ePub file?

ePub is a free electronic book standard that uses XHTML. You must validate ePub files to make sure they comply with ePub formatting standards (ePub schema). All submitted books must pass the latest version of ePubCheck, include only files listed in the manifest, and use UTF-8/16 characters.

How do I create an ePub file?

A variety of conversion tools are available. Or you can get help from an aggregator. Aggregators are experts in ePub conversion, and for a nominal charge, they can format your book to Apple’s specifications so that it uploads correctly the first time. In addition, they can distribute your book across multiple channels.

How do customers access the iBookstore?

The iBookstore is accessed from the iTunes stores on a Mac or PC or from the iBooks app on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

I produce a magazine. Can I offer subscriptions?

No, magazines and other periodicals are not supported by the iBookstore. Consider making your magazine available as a web app or via the App Store.

Can I distribute titles for free?

Yes, you can make your books available for free.

Can I distribute self-published books on the iBookstore?

Yes. All instructions and processes are the same for both publishing organizations and self-published authors.

:dunno:

Archived