Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Virgin Broadband

I have a Superhb router and have been on Virgin for phone tv and broadband for 4 moinths.

All was fine until 2 days ago when the BB speed dropped to snails pace and the connection keeps dropping out. The laptop finds all available networks no problem, sometimes though it finds, then loses the Virginmedia wireless connection. The same happens with iPhone and PS3 connections so it's almost certainly the hub or the internet connection. I can connect via ethernet cable.

I've tried all the suggestions for repairing the connection, re-booting the router, adjusting speeds etc. as suggested on the Virgin support boards but it's still happening

Is anyone else in the area having similar problems as some of the message boards seem to suggest it's a local propblem, others thats it's a nationwide issue.

Any help with what to do???

Hahahaaa i've got exactly the same problem. I have to re-boot it daily, which breifly works and change the channel it goes through. However, without fail every morning if I try to connect to it, it doesn't work.

I must have spent 2-3 hours on the phone to Virgin, costing me no end in charges and they won't come out and do anything about it. I am billing them for the costs incurred and threatening to sue them if they don't allow me to leave the contract. I told them I have a degree in contract law, that seemed to shut them up for now.

I have a Superhb router and have been on Virgin for phone tv and broadband for 4 moinths.

All was fine until 2 days ago when the BB speed dropped to snails pace and the connection keeps dropping out. The laptop finds all available networks no problem, sometimes though it finds, then loses the Virginmedia wireless connection. The same happens with iPhone and PS3 connections so it's almost certainly the hub or the internet connection. I can connect via ethernet cable.

I've tried all the suggestions for repairing the connection, re-booting the router, adjusting speeds etc. as suggested on the Virgin support boards but it's still happening

Is anyone else in the area having similar problems as some of the message boards seem to suggest it's a local propblem, others thats it's a nationwide issue.

Any help with what to do???

My Sky net and phone went off for around 4 hours on Tuesday night and others in the area had the same problem... I wonder if the two things are connected in any way... :dunno:

Everything seems to be ok now though...

Cable broadband firm Virgin Media has said that services around the UK are now fully restored following a nationwide failure.

The firm apologised to users for Tuesday evening's blackout and said that the issue has now been fixed.

The problems come just days after Virgin announced that it would be turning up the speed dial on its broadband service.

Over the next 18 months, it plans to double most of its customers' speeds.

Full BBC report - http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-16611686

Thanks guys for your prompt responses. Re-assured that its not just me. I haven't had to contact Customer service so I don't know whether they are any good or not.

However I'm stiil having problems with connecting to the router, Th laptop finds it sometimes then when i click "connect" it says unable to connect to Virginmediaxxxxxxxx (numbers) then the name disappears from the list of available networks.

I changed from TalkTalk because they were just CRAP... it seems most of them aren't great.

At least Virgin have given us ESPN free till March... I could watch the non-leaguers in FA cup action last night... great, thanks a lot Mr Branson :nono:

Thanks guys for your prompt responses. Re-assured that its not just me. I haven't had to contact Customer service so I don't know whether they are any good or not.

However I'm stiil having problems with connecting to the router, Th laptop finds it sometimes then when i click "connect" it says unable to connect to Virginmediaxxxxxxxx (numbers) then the name disappears from the list of available networks.

I changed from TalkTalk because they were just CRAP... it seems most of them aren't great.

At least Virgin have given us ESPN free till March... I could watch the non-leaguers in FA cup action last night... great, thanks a lot Mr Branson :nono:

I shall also be leaving Talktalk at the end of my 12 months, looking at moving to Sky with the phone and broadband but then might change it all over to Virgin but will see what prices i get monthly

Unrelated to the op question but I've heard due to virgin being linked heavily to London 2012 they are going to be doubling uk broadband speeds in June. Any truth to this?

I'm with sky never had any problems with their internet

According to this Syston should get it's increase sometime after July.

http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/

before i got the super hub my net dl speed was 100kbs when it should of been 1mb for some reason this was highest speed i could get for dl torrents,, a couple of days after this i recieved super hub n 30mb dl speed so far so good not too many probs,,,just out of interest is your speed ok using the ethernet cable rather than wireless ????, could be your firewall thats limiting access, you could try deleting your connection preferences and rescan for wireless connection again and set up the connection again.,,

The Virgin Media-provided internet in my student house is absolute pish. If more than one person tries to stream live video it becomes completely impossible. I'm assuming that's the fault of the router rather than the connection (which should be 12mbps fibre-optic), but why the hell would Virgin distribute routers that can't handle basic home wireless needs??

The Virgin Media-provided internet in my student house is absolute pish. If more than one person tries to stream live video it becomes completely impossible. I'm assuming that's the fault of the router rather than the connection (which should be 12mbps fibre-optic), but why the hell would Virgin distribute routers that can't handle basic home wireless needs??

I wouldn't call video streaming a basic home wireless need.

I wouldn't call video streaming a basic home wireless need.

Students watching programs on iPlayer or live TV from BBC etc? Using Skyplayer to watch football matches? Seems like fairly common practice to me :dunno:

And before anyone asks, yes we do have a TV license :P

Students watching programs on iPlayer or live TV from BBC etc? Using Skyplayer to watch football matches? Seems like fairly common practice to me :dunno:

And before anyone asks, yes we do have a TV license :P

It's not a basic home need. It may be a student need, but it's not a home owner's need, as they're likely to have TV and Sky already etc.

The Virgin Media super hub is pretty astonishingly crap. Some people report that you need to disable the firewall on it to achieve decent speeds.

What you can do, with the latest firmware, is use the device in "modem only" mode. This let you use an existing wireless router to connec your laptop etc to, and then the superhub just sends and receives that data across VMs network.

Parafox - your symptoms describe problems with your wireless LAN. If your laptop isn't reliably connecting to the wireless, it'll be nothing to do with Virgin's network, but your wireless router (superhub) or laptop.

Never heard of Youtube :)

A basic home need would simply be doing a bit of research, reading web pages without interacting with them. Even using forums and buying things online I wouldn't constitute as a basic need, let alone video streaming.

The SHUB is a shockingly poor wireless router.

I upgraded to it in October and lived with constant restarting, horrible signal and general poor speed and performance (paying for 30meg and only got 2meg with high pings, bad packet loss).

Downgraded back to the HubRouter and 10meg, full speed, full bar signal, grade A pings.

It's a shame that all the people signing up to virgin or having their router replaced (if faulty/upgrade) will get this SHUB as standard now on all packages.

Most of it is due to Virgin's own firmware on the device and also "bigging" it up to be a amazing device when the internals are technology of a few years ago now.

Biggest problem is over-subscription on the network.

Parafox - your symptoms describe problems with your wireless LAN. If your laptop isn't reliably connecting to the wireless, it'll be nothing to do with Virgin's network, but your wireless router (superhub) or laptop.

I think it was my router. I had to contact Tech support (had a 30 min wait to get through) They remotely fixed the problem. It was a bit of a blur what the guy did, It's wierd seeing the pointer whizz over the screen with me touching the mouse!

This problem occured only after Virgin lost the network for a few hours the day before. The tech didn't seem surprised at the problem

I think he adjusted the speed of something or other.

Thanks again to all respondents

A basic home need would simply be doing a bit of research, reading web pages without interacting with them. Even using forums and buying things online I wouldn't constitute as a basic need, let alone video streaming.

Blimey, you're serious? Unbelievable. I don't have a response.

Edit: it doesn't really matter what people constitute as basic. If all you wanted to do was a bit of research, you wouldn't need a 20Mbit connection for Wikipedia. 512Kbps should suffice.

The reason why people are demanding more speed IS for things like iPlayer, Netflix, downloading videos, music, apps. This is the sort of thing that is now commonplace in many homes (ok, not my grandads) and consumers won't accept poor performance.

Ok, so I had a response :)

I think it was my router. I had to contact Tech support (had a 30 min wait to get through) They remotely fixed the problem. It was a bit of a blur what the guy did, It's wierd seeing the pointer whizz over the screen with me touching the mouse!

This problem occured only after Virgin lost the network for a few hours the day before. The tech didn't seem surprised at the problem

I think he adjusted the speed of something or other.

Thanks again to all respondents

He probably increased the signal levels from the street up to your router. A relatively common problem.

Blimey, you're serious? Unbelievable. I don't have a response.

Edit: it doesn't really matter what people constitute as basic. If all you wanted to do was a bit of research, you wouldn't need a 20Mbit connection for Wikipedia. 512Kbps should suffice.

The reason why people are demanding more speed IS for things like iPlayer, Netflix, downloading videos, music, apps. This is the sort of thing that is now commonplace in many homes (ok, not my grandads) and consumers won't accept poor performance.

Ok, so I had a response :)

I wasn't the one that said basic home need. Common, yes, but not basic. Basic is fundamental requirements. You're suggesting if you can't video stream there's no point even having an Internet connection, which is wrong.

Archived