Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Virgin Broadband

Who are me or you to define the fundamental requirements of what you can do with an internet connection? For me, it's check forums, order from eBay/groceries from Tesco and connect to computers at work over a VPN. Amongst other things.

For my mum, she wants to log in to MSN and webmail.

My wife wants to do Skype to her sisters and friends.

If we can't do those "fundamental" things, then no, their connection is largely useless.

Who are me or you to define the fundamental requirements of what you can do with an internet connection? For me, it's check forums, order from eBay/groceries from Tesco and connect to computers at work over a VPN. Amongst other things.

For my mum, she wants to log in to MSN and webmail.

My wife wants to do Skype to her sisters and friends.

If we can't do those "fundamental" things, then no, their connection is largely useless.

Basic requirements is all I'm on about. We're going round in circles now.

Basic requirements is all I'm on about. We're going round in circles now.

Fair enough, I'm getting bored of this topic as there is no way for either of us to win :)

But my last word: basic is relative to the person using the service. Meh.

Pork crackling inc. That's a very basic requirement for roast pork :)

Fair enough, I'm getting bored of this topic as there is no way for either of us to win :)

But my last word: basic is relative to the person using the service. Meh.

Pork crackling inc. That's a very basic requirement for roast pork :)

hmmm Crackling :wub: I hope you all appreciate my contribution to this thread :ph34r:

A basic home need would simply be doing a bit of research, reading web pages without interacting with them. Even using forums and buying things online I wouldn't constitute as a basic need, let alone video streaming.

1998 just called, they said you are out past your curfew and need to come home now.

No one uses the Internet for basic needs anymore. I agree. But that doesn't mean that basic no longer means basic.

Basic means basic, of course, that's just a tautology.

Basic, in this sense, is defined by the lowest common denominator of general use, which for almost 100% of people will be far more than reading a text-only webpage, and will include YouTube, Facebook etc.

Doubling our speed to 100mb in July \o/

And for some reason adding on a bonus 20mb at some point after that.

Nah, current 50Mb customers are getting it doubled to 100Mb. Current 100Mb customers are getting it increased to 120Mb and getting their bill reduced a bit. You won't be getting it increased from 50Mb to 100Mb and then to 120Mb.

I'm missing high speed broadband, since i moved to an area which isn't cable enabled i'm getting max speeds of wait for it..........0.87mbs via ADSL.. Truely rubbish when it even says on the site i should be getting a fixed speed of 2mbs that could rise up to 6mbs at certain times

Anything would be better than the joke speeds i'm getting right now

I'm missing high speed broadband, since i moved to an area which isn't cable enabled i'm getting max speeds of wait for it..........0.87mbs via ADSL.. Truely rubbish when it even says on the site i should be getting a fixed speed of 2mbs that could rise up to 6mbs at certain times

Anything would be better than the joke speeds i'm getting right now

Buy one of them USB dongles?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived