Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

X-Com Enemy Unknown Gets a Facelift

Oh, and towards the latter stages of the game and with countless save files on my books, the game began to stutter and stop a few times, leaving me unable to play on.

And what I also found strange: Occasionally, a group of enemies will start spawning in one spot, only to suddenly appear somewhere completely else instead within the space one single round.

Besides, being able to shoot through walls and trucks or being able to hit enemies whilst facing away from them isn't really testament to proper quality control at 2K Games.

Oh, and towards the latter stages of the game and with countless save files on my books, the game began to stutter and stop a few times, leaving me unable to play on.

And what I also found strange: Occasionally, a group of enemies will start spawning in one spot, only to suddenly appear somewhere completely else instead within the space one single round.

Besides, being able to shoot through walls and trucks or being able to hit enemies whilst facing away from them isn't really testament to proper quality control at 2K Games.

No, I noticed this too, apparently a patch fixed this, though I've yet to try it.

The shooting through things was annoying - you could even shoot through your own squadies. One of the best things about the original game was that every shot was traced through it's flight and even if it missed it's intended target it could often hit another alien, such that it was often worth taking a potshot with a poor percentage if they were grouped together. Of course it also meant that you could hit your own squaddies by mistake too.

There's one mission that I hate. Looks like a construction site, with a digger in the middle. Whenever I get that map, I'll move a few spaces and without fail aliens will appear on both sides and gang rape me. On normal, I luckily only lost one man. On classic, I lost my entire squad/

There's one mission that I hate. Looks like a construction site, with a digger in the middle. Whenever I get that map, I'll move a few spaces and without fail aliens will appear on both sides and gang rape me. On normal, I luckily only lost one man. On classic, I lost my entire squad/

Take everyone in one direction and clear it out in a circle if it's this one...

XComGame-2012-10-22-10-59-33-21-580x326.jpg

My first encounter with a disc came on that level: I sent a guy down beyond the skip in the picture and against the building's outer wall to scout for any enemies lurking in the alley. Disc bastard somehow 'sees' me even though he's on the top floor INSIDE the building. Unfortunately I wasn't able to position any troops to attack him so put them all in defensive spots with oversight on in case it comes out of the building. Disc willy puller didn't care, just unleashed one of his grenades THROUGH THE FVCKING WALL and reduces half my team to 50% health... Thankully I'd learned my lesson about being raped by the game so I had a save from the start of that mission - I don't like using them to save my troops if I make a decision that leaves them open to attack, but I think in this case I was fully justified.

Other than that this game's incredible by the way. I have a psychic Dutch sniper who's racked up something like 75 kills in 20 missions, bearing in mind that he's only been a Colonel for at most ten of those, and a psy-op for at most 5. Guy's a maniac. Unfortunately he recently lost the one remaining member who partnered him the original X-Com squad, a support unit named Ben "fast lane" Marshall. Had half a mind to restart just to prevent his death, it was nice having a City player on the squad. :D

Time for some overdue sleep you wankingly addictive game.

That's the one! Both times I made the mistake of moving someone behind the digger arm (the JCB full cover was too tempting). Both times I got completley destroyed.

Wooh just finished my normal campaign.

I have an addendum to the sniper suggestions already posted here: Damn good ground + double tap + archangel armour = so many kills, whilst being stupidly hard to hit. My dutch sniper who I previously mentioned took out the final boss's entire health in one headshot attack + a double tap shot thanks to the terrain advantage he would have otherwise not had without the armour. Just as well: My heavy and both my assault units had just been mind-controlled so I was about to get the old anal treatment had I not been able to take the king guy down.

By the way - invest in the SHIV's, but don't bother using them until you have the SHIV repair tool and the flying SHIV (preferably with plasma cannon) - such a useful recon unit with its large movement range and ridiculous amount of possible airtime (something like 26 units of flying fuel IIRC).

Also by the way: Ignore beam research, focus solely on plasma.

Time for classic mode... another day, I'm all X-Com'd out for now!

Archived