Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Djurgården played Union Berlin in a "friendly" today. Home fans put up a "BFC Dynamo Berlin" banner and then this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwJU_kFTdo

Wow. Just look at the total disregard for the Family Stand.

Seriously though, what a mess. There's absolutely no chance that started because of the BFC banners. Granted they can't have helped but the lads in balaclavas were up there for trouble whether or not there was reference made to those Stasi cvnts. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these weren't even Union fans.

A real shame because Union Berlin are a wonderful club and could definitely do without this.

Wow. Just look at the total disregard for the Family Stand.

Seriously though, what a mess. There's absolutely no chance that started because of the BFC banners. Granted they can't have helped but the lads in balaclavas were up there for trouble whether or not there was reference made to those Stasi cvnts. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these weren't even Union fans.

A real shame because Union Berlin are a wonderful club and could definitely do without this.

Allegedly, it was a few German BFC fans, alongside their affiliates from Malmö and Gothenburg, who placed the banner in the Djurgarden end, as they were allowed into the stadium, joining DIF groups in the home end.

The police was ignorant to the banner and its significance, as were the majority of the DIF fans (who didn't know anything about the Union - BFC rivalry).

Many Union fans online are bitterly disappointed that a few reckless ones were stupid enough to accept the provocation for a storm onto the field.

The DIF following was the first one to throw flares.

But Djurgarden failed to comply to safety regulations by not checking all fans thoroughly before the game, they appear to have been pretty lenient.

Djurgarden seems to have a real issue with some proper right-wing hooligans in their ranks lately.

There were fights between liberal and far-right followers of Djurgarden after the game, too. Not to speak of attacks against Union fans and DIFers on the way back to the hotel(s).

The football arena is not properly secured to prevent incidents like this (no fences, no open roofs for the vapors to disappear quicker, feeble police force) - the Swedish side will have to take a part of the blame for not having been prepared at all.

Then again, it wasn't helpful that some Union fans were allowed to march to the stadium, partially or fully disguised, chanting aggressive songs and setting off fireworks along the way.

Some say the clash was a planned maneuver on both sides, but it got out of hand too quickly.

Here's an interesting read about the current ultra scene in Germany:

http://www.unionforum.de/index.php/Thread/30991-Testspiel-in-Stockholm/?postID=1095052#post1095052

Edited by MC Prussian

A bit unrelated, Prussian how many languages can you speak?

If I'm on a roll, four.

Other than that, I stick to German and English, with a bit of French here and there.

My Italian's a bit rusty. I'm fine with talking and reading, but lack writing practice. :P

Edited by MC Prussian

Were they all compulsory in school?

German is the first mandatory one, followed by English and French. That's just the German-speaking part, though.

In the South, the Ticinesi learn French first and then, maybe later on, German.

And the Romands learn Italian first, then German.

I took additional and voluntary Italian classes in high school/college, it had more of an appeal to me than Spanish (although I'd like to learn the latter, too).

Alright, some Bundesliga news:

Leverkusen have signed Valencia midfielder Andrés Guardado.

Jermaine Jones is leaving Schalke for Besiktas.

Hannover sign a young Czech called Rajtoral (Plzen).

William Kvist goes Fulham - goodbye Stuttgart.

And VfB's Molinaro goes South - to Parma.

It would be an incredible achievement if they went all the way this season and won the league! Possibly on a par with Montpellier winning Ligue 1 a few seasons ago.

I think it'd be a greater achievement. As good as Montpellier's season was, they didn't come up against sides like Madrid and Barca.

I think it'd be a greater achievement. As good as Montpellier's season was, they didn't come up against sides like Madrid and Barca.

That's a fair point but I would say Atletico Madrid are closer in terms of quality to Real Madrid and Barca than Montpellier were to the likes of PSG (who had spent over 100 million euros prior to that season), Lille, Lyon and Marseille.

Atletico still shouldn't really be near Real or Barca though given the difference in budgets but they have just been immense this season and fully deserve to be top. Villa for £5 million euros was a complete steal and very astute business despite his age!