Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/andrea-pirlo-talks-candidly-about-his-career-on-that-panenka-penalty-on-roy-hodgson-on-zlatan-ibrahimovic-on-mario-balotelli-on-winning-the-world-cup-and-on-his-playstation-obsession-9259845.html

This looks like it's going to be a cracking read from the snippets that have been pulled out from one of the greatest midfielders of this generation, and possibly the coolest guy ever!

The bit about god not being French made me laugh lol

Might even get that.

Guest MattP

Some super stuff in that, footballers autobiographies are generally shite but I might give that one a try.

Caressing the ball was something I had to do. I lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there's no way he's French. I took a long, intense breath. That breath was mine, but it could have been the manual worker who struggles to make it to the end of the month, the rich businessmen who is a bit of a shit, the teacher, the student, the Italian expats who never left our side during the tournament, the well-to-do Milanese signora, the hooker on the street corner. In that moment, I was all of them.

When that torture of the game was finished, we sat like a bunch of half-wits in the dressing room ... we were bloodthirsty zombies faced with an unforeseen problem – the blood was ours and they'd drunk every last drop. We couldn't speak. We couldn't move. They'd mentally destroyed us. The damage was already evident even in those early moments, and it only got more stark and serious as the hours went on. Insomnia, rage, depression, a sense of nothingness. We'd invented a new disease with multiple symptoms: Istanbul syndrome.

I no longer felt like a player, and that was devastating enough. Even worse, I no longer felt like a man.

if he did it himself he could have been a decent gonzo writer as well as a footballer. Fantastic.

Barca looked shite barr the odd (Literally) chance.

Neymar was unlucky late on, having said that if he'd equalised Barca on a whole would have been lucky if that makes sense.

Real pissed all over them, very poor Barca they really are going downhill and atm are very overrated!

Guest MattP

Barca looked shite barr the odd (Literally) chance.

Neymar was unlucky late on, having said that if he'd equalised Barca on a whole would have been lucky if that makes sense.

Real pissed all over them, very poor Barca they really are going downhill and atm are very overrated!

They are getting older now, all great things come to an end and you can never replace Xavi and Iniesta, rebuilding job to come.

I thought Real looked terrific, we all know how talented Ronaldo is but as a team they look far better without him, pass and move one touch football and as quick as anything.

Fortunately I think their 'era' is over, I hope so anyway. Always preferred Real to Barcelona, I've always appreciated the way Barcelona played but I've always loved the individuals that Real have had over the years, both Ronaldo's, Zidane, Figo and obviously Xabi Alonso. 

Bale's goal was brilliant, even if Pinto should have saved it, that was some pace. Real were just better all over the pitch today, thought Modric was man of the match as well. The only thing that does my head in with El Classico is that this game should always be about Messi and Neymar v Ronaldo and Bale, unfortunately it always seems to be about Busquets, Pepe, Ramos and others. I'm just glad Ancelotti is there now in Madrid to bring some sort of class and order to Real instead of Mourinho, imagine him tonight if they had won, embarrassing. 

guingamp (of tony knockaert fame, amongst others, such as drogba and malouda) beat monaco in extra time to reach the french cup final tonight. pretty impressive for a small club, that. 

Bale. :wub:

Sky news bigging up a goal this morning and it was Bale's.

I was expecting some multi player single touch passes like we see from the City and it was just Bale outrunning some guy.

Good goal but we've seen MANY better from Leicester this year.

Barcelona have gone from a potential treble to almost certain to be trophyless this season in the space of a week. Amazing.

Eh, they've been here before when Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Saviola et all had to be cleared out and a new generation brought in under Pep.

They've got the best academy on the planet, the best player on the planet (I accept Ronaldo is in better form this year) and his potential heir in Neymar.

They'll be fine, they just need to go through transition, it happens to all clubs.

I'm not convinced by the gaffer, mind. It'll be a big summer for him, especially if the embargo stands.

Personally, I'd love to see them bring in a manager with a fractionally more expensive outlook. Someone like a Jurgen Klopp, who appreciates good attacking football but isn't neurotically obsessed with tiki taka.

Barca can claim it's always been the club's culture, their way or playing, but they're kidding themselves if they think it hasn't been something largely ramped up by Pep and his success. When they had Henry and Eto'o and Co breaking at speed they were more than happy to play longer through balls.