Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Playstation 4 'Orbis' Due 2013?

Sony are obviously unwilling to talk about their next-generation PlayStation console until the timing is right, but that hasn’t stopped the rumors flowing. A bombshell report has now emerged, claiming that Sony’s PS4 is codenamed and may end up being called the ‘Orbis’.

It sounds a strange name at first doesn’t it? But then again, that’s what we all thought about the Vita. Here’s some brief background information to the name though – Orbis in Latin means circle or ring, suggesting that the next PlayStation may have a circular design. Here’s the exciting part – combine Orbis with Vita, and in Latin you get the translation: ”Circle of Life” – that certainly doesn’t sound like a coincidence to us and it may be an early indication that the recently released Vita will feature some major interaction with the next PlayStation console.

With the name aside, let’s get on to the other major talking points.

According to the scoop by Kotaku, it’s meant to be releasing during the holiday season of 2013 – which is quite remarkable if true, given all the recent talk that the PS3 is far from finished etc and Jack Tretton’s own admission that the PS3 is just ‘hitting its stride right now’.

Promising: So what will the ‘Orbis’ be able to churn out though in terms of grunt? We’re hearing that the system will be based on AMD architecture (again matching up with previous rumors), more specifically an AMD 64X CPU and a AMD Southern Islands GPU, which is based around Radeon HD 7000 Series graphics cards. That’s some pretty decent processing power available there and don’t forget this is all without the use of a Cell Processor, which is equipped in the PS3 at the moment.

While some of you hardcore graphic nuts may be disappointed with a 7000 Series card, further details suggest that the Orbis will be capable of outputting a monster , and will be able to churn out 3D games in 1080p – a first, since the PS3 can only handle 3D games in 720p.

Controversial: All this sounds really mouth-watering we agree, but there are some major talking points to discuss – controversial ones at that. The report also includes information that the Orbis will NOT play PS3 games, ie no backwards compatibility whatsoever, and it will not play used games either. You may have read recent rumors about the next-gen Xbox also removing support for used-games as well. Sony may be taking extra measures to prevent piracy by locking all Orbis games to a account, similar to the way in which the PS Vita operates at the moment.

Such a move could have serious repercussions with the likes of GameStop and other retailers that use pre-owned game sales as a core means of business. Infamous analyst Michael Pachter has already chimed in with his thoughts on the Orbis rumors by saying that GameStop may actually refuse to carry Sony’s new console and games if it does turn out that] doesn’t support used games.

No PS3 support is obviously another major blow though – Sony would have to have some major guts to follow through with this move if true. What would it mean for games such as The Last of Us and GTA V which may both end up being 2013 release titles – you just can’t play them anymore when the new console is out? That would be quite ridiculous, especially since The Last of Us is a Sony published game. We’re guessing that Sony is plotting a compromise around this for all 2013 PS3 titles, so let’s hope we get some clarity on this in the coming weeks.

So much to discuss here folks – what’s your initial reaction to the ‘Orbis’? You may want to head to this official URL by Sony – it certainly is without a doubt the most promising PS4 rumor seen yet. No backwards compatibility with PS3 titles and no used game support though is controversial to say the least.

Sony are obviously unwilling to talk about their next-generation PlayStation console until the timing is right, but that hasn’t stopped the rumors flowing. A bombshell report has now emerged, claiming that Sony’s PS4 is codenamed and may end up being called the ‘Orbis’.

It sounds a strange name at first doesn’t it? But then again, that’s what we all thought about the Vita. Here’s some brief background information to the name though – Orbis in Latin means circle or ring, suggesting that the next PlayStation may have a circular design. Here’s the exciting part – combine Orbis with Vita, and in Latin you get the translation: ”Circle of Life” – that certainly doesn’t sound like a coincidence to us and it may be an early indication that the recently released Vita will feature some major interaction with the next PlayStation console.

With the name aside, let’s get on to the other major talking points.

According to the scoop by Kotaku, it’s meant to be releasing during the holiday season of 2013 – which is quite remarkable if true, given all the recent talk that the PS3 is far from finished etc and Jack Tretton’s own admission that the PS3 is just ‘hitting its stride right now’.

Promising: So what will the ‘Orbis’ be able to churn out though in terms of grunt? We’re hearing that the system will be based on AMD architecture (again matching up with previous rumors), more specifically an AMD 64X CPU and a AMD Southern Islands GPU, which is based around Radeon HD 7000 Series graphics cards. That’s some pretty decent processing power available there and don’t forget this is all without the use of a Cell Processor, which is equipped in the PS3 at the moment.

While some of you hardcore graphic nuts may be disappointed with a 7000 Series card, further details suggest that the Orbis will be capable of outputting a monster , and will be able to churn out 3D games in 1080p – a first, since the PS3 can only handle 3D games in 720p.

Controversial: All this sounds really mouth-watering we agree, but there are some major talking points to discuss – controversial ones at that. The report also includes information that the Orbis will NOT play PS3 games, ie no backwards compatibility whatsoever, and it will not play used games either. You may have read recent rumors about the next-gen Xbox also removing support for used-games as well. Sony may be taking extra measures to prevent piracy by locking all Orbis games to a account, similar to the way in which the PS Vita operates at the moment.

Such a move could have serious repercussions with the likes of GameStop and other retailers that use pre-owned game sales as a core means of business. Infamous analyst Michael Pachter has already chimed in with his thoughts on the Orbis rumors by saying that GameStop may actually refuse to carry Sony’s new console and games if it does turn out that] doesn’t support used games.

No PS3 support is obviously another major blow though – Sony would have to have some major guts to follow through with this move if true. What would it mean for games such as The Last of Us and GTA V which may both end up being 2013 release titles – you just can’t play them anymore when the new console is out? That would be quite ridiculous, especially since The Last of Us is a Sony published game. We’re guessing that Sony is plotting a compromise around this for all 2013 PS3 titles, so let’s hope we get some clarity on this in the coming weeks.

So much to discuss here folks – what’s your initial reaction to the ‘Orbis’? You may want to head to this official URL by Sony – it certainly is without a doubt the most promising PS4 rumor seen yet. No backwards compatibility with PS3 titles and no used game support though is controversial to say the least.

If they stick to their guns with this one, it will flop imo. In this day and age when people are skint the second hand game market/part exchanging games is the only way some people can afford to buy them.

Though maybe, just maybe, if everyone has to buy original games, then, with publishers getting more money, they will cost less? :dunno:

Possibly.

lol

I'd expect £50 titles on release. At least.

Well if it doesn't I won't bother getting it. Anyway I need a new PS3 anyway. I am thinking of getting a slim where is the cheapest place to get one?

Got my last one from Toys R Us, that was the cheapest I could find in town at the time

I do buy most of my games new, However I do like to sell them in as well and obviously this is going to stop me doing that. Both consoles have a massive catalouge of games now and if I was to to get all the way through the games I have I could easily go out and buy decent games Like Resident Evil 5, Tekken 6, Border Lands, Dead Island which I have never bothered to pick up as I just didn't have time to play before, No backwards compatabilty or abilty to play used games would actually make me stick with the 360 until there was a massive price cut and that would be a worry for Microsoft as I would put myself in the demographic of people they should be absloutley guaranteeing a day one purchase off.

Well if it doesn't I won't bother getting it. Anyway I need a new PS3 anyway. I am thinking of getting a slim where is the cheapest place to get one?

Shopto.net are the cheapest

Seriously go out and buy this game NOW! make sure you pick up the game of the year edition with all the add ons included tho :thumbup:

Wouldn't have time to play it, had to spend my Game Voucher on used games as they weren't stocking the ones I wanted and as a reasult still have Dead Space one and two and Fable 3 sitting on my shelf basically untouched because of ME3 and StXTekken. Still got loads to do on Forza 4, not get to level 20 on FIFA yet, only about 10 hours into Dark Souls, I require no more games lol. Don't think Im buying anything else till Bioshock now.

Maybe Sony are getting all clever on us, and going the download only via account route. Would completely cut out the middle man, and allow them to sell for less and maintain their profits. Making games cheaper and download only could also give them a route to cheap / free upgrades for those who buy a major title next year. Deals with the backward compatibility problem, and if you think about it as buying a license not a game, it doesn't cost anything either.

Maybe Sony are getting all clever on us, and going the download only via account route. Would completely cut out the middle man, and allow them to sell for less and maintain their profits. Making games cheaper and download only could also give them a route to cheap / free upgrades for those who buy a major title next year. Deals with the backward compatibility problem, and if you think about it as buying a license not a game, it doesn't cost anything either.

They won't lower the price though. They'll know that enough people won't realise they could sell them cheaper and will continue to purchase them at £40/£50 (and now they even have the added convenience of being able to download them).

90% of games companies are profit machines. You think Activision or EA are going to be worried about losing a few customers when hundred of millions of people will still pay £50 for a game.

They won't lower the price though. They'll know that enough people won't realise they could sell them cheaper and will continue to purchase them at £40/£50 (and now they even have the added convenience of being able to download them).

90% of games companies are profit machines. You think Activision or EA are going to be worried about losing a few customers when hundred of millions of people will still pay £50 for a game.

Yep, I can't see them ever lowering prices significantly, they've set a bar. When games were on cartridges the excuse for the high prices were the manufacturing cost, then when games came out on CD's and DVD's people were assuming the prices would be lower because of the significantly lower manufacturing costs but they barely changed at all. Any small change in price would be offset by the cost of the broadband bandwidth needed to download next generation games anyway.

I hope not.

Though maybe, just maybe, if everyone has to buy original games, then, with publishers getting more money, they will cost less? :dunno:

Possibly.

Sometimes Trav I just want to cuddle you and protect you from the big, bad nasty world out there.

lol

Controversial: All this sounds really mouth-watering we agree, but there are some major talking points to discuss – controversial ones at that. The report also includes information that the Orbis will NOT play PS3 games, ie no backwards compatibility whatsoever, and it will not play used games either.

With rumours of Sony removing itself from the console market altogether, a move like this would see sales barely break into three figures and a corporation with a recent history of ineptitude and failure getting royally tanked.

There again, there's hardly anyone with a PS3 and PS3 games out there anyway. :whistle:

Sometimes Trav I just want to cuddle you and protect you from the big, bad nasty world out there.

lol

I did say possibly :P

The weakness in this is not Sony, it's the general public who will carrying on paying regardless. If people refused to pay then prices would drop - it's not like the product is a necessity. I know a lot of gamers who only buy their next game when they've completed their last one and use the trade-in to finance their next purchase.

In 2013

PC > Console

Seriously? You don't think that's completely, glaringly obvious to everyone? The argument is pathetic but I'm going with it anyway because it pisses me off and people get so elitist about PC's it's hilarious.

I have a decent-ish gaming PC and an Xbox, both have their merits. FPS' are obviously much better on a PC as are the graphics. BF3 looks incredible on PC. I can't, on the other hand, have the lads round and play fifa on it. That fact that a lot of people a) can't afford a gaming PC and b) can't afford to upgrade it also gets on my wick. PC only players seem to think that people have chosen a console between the two.

You know how much I've spent on my xbox in the last 5 years? £150.

You know how much my mate has spent on his gaming PC in the last 5 years? Well over £2500

Another mate has actually just bought a new £130 case, yeah, a case, just because he liked it. He also bought a new 120gb Solid State Drive cause his current one, despite loading everything on Windows literally instantly and booting in around 10 seconds, 'wasn't fast enough' That's not to mention his new monitor which he upgraded from 22" to 24" and the cool price of £350.

Honestly, the money some people spend on their PC's is ridiculous. They're completely within their own rights to obviously, but to then take the piss out of console players? So cringeworthy.

Seriously? You don't think that's completely, glaringly obvious to everyone? The argument is pathetic but I'm going with it anyway because it pisses me off and people get so elitist about PC's it's hilarious.

I have a decent-ish gaming PC and an Xbox, both have their merits. FPS' are obviously much better on a PC as are the graphics. BF3 looks incredible on PC. I can't, on the other hand, have the lads round and play fifa on it. That fact that a lot of people a) can't afford a gaming PC and b) can't afford to upgrade it also gets on my wick. PC only players seem to think that people have chosen a console between the two.

You know how much I've spent on my xbox in the last 5 years? £150.

You know how much my mate has spent on his gaming PC in the last 5 years? Well over £2500

Another mate has actually just bought a new £130 case, yeah, a case, just because he liked it. He also bought a new 120gb Solid State Drive cause his current one, despite loading everything on Windows literally instantly and booting in around 10 seconds, 'wasn't fast enough' That's not to mention his new monitor which he upgraded from 22" to 24" and the cool price of £350.

Honestly, the money some people spend on their PC's is ridiculous. They're completely within their own rights to obviously, but to then take the piss out of console players? So cringeworthy.

Alright, chill out. I wasn't talking about pricing, just overall experiance :D The whole 'upgrading your graphics card' and the like, is the thing which puts me off PC gaming, when I can just buy a console for 100's, rather than 1000's + upgrading prices. No doubt that the next gen will be a ridcolous price. Wouldn't suprised if it's £600+ a console, on it's own.

I have a medicore PC, and won't/bearly run modern games. TBH, I only really play TF2 and CSS on it, with TES and the orignal fallouts now and again.

Even though console rumours are almost always fake, the news about the next gen are looking crap.

I'm not so sure about the pricing on the upcoming new consoles.

Since the days of the Sega Megadrive and SNES the prices of console games hasn't risen at all. I have a copy of Worms for the Megadrive and it's £39.99 on the label on the box.

As for the price of the machines themselves, Sony have always played catch-up with the PS3 because they priced themselves out from the get go.

Alright, chill out. I wasn't talking about pricing, just overall experiance :D The whole 'upgrading your graphics card' and the like, is the thing which puts me off PC gaming, when I can just buy a console for 100's, rather than 1000's + upgrading prices. No doubt that the next gen will be a ridcolous price. Wouldn't suprised if it's £600+ a console, on it's own.

I have a medicore PC, and won't/bearly run modern games. TBH, I only really play TF2 and CSS on it, with TES and the orignal fallouts now and again.

Even though console rumours are almost always fake, the news about the next gen are looking crap.

It's just a pet peeve :P

I read somewhere that the new Xbox's are rumoured to have 2 gpu's and a hex-core processor. That sounds as if they're going for it. Although obviously the next gen consoles will need a 8-10 year life span going by the current gen.

I don't think a £600 console would fly tbh, I'm not sure enough people would be willing to pay that much. Eg. The gaming PC I mentioned earlier, I bought 6 months ago for around £450 for the rig alone. That includes a very good GPU, 1 Terabyte HDD, very good i5 processor, 8GB RAM and all the other stuff required. I know that's building it myself but Microsoft and Sony will have hard time justifying charging anywhere close to £500 unless they are special consoles with unique features. I'd expect them to ship at around £350-£400 personally.

On another note, I will almost certainly get the next gen consoles unless they look to be a massive flop but I expect i'll wait until at least the first price drop on them.

Archived