Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesAreBlue

Removing the Background from an image

Right, please bear with me - my knowledge of computers is gash...

I have taken a few photos of friends to go on some cheap flyers

I just need to "cut" round the people in the pictures and get rid of the background, any idea how I do this with out using the rubber in Paint? Thus wasting hours and making it look shit?

As always, if you could spell out your answer in such a way that a two year old could do it then hpefully I won't bombard ou with follow up questions!

If it helps im using a programme called Corel Draw to make the flyers.....

Cheers

You can do it in Corel Draw really easily too. I think you use the magic wand tool to select the background and then just press delete. There's also the magic wand tool but where you click pointers for it to go round an image.

Can't remember off hand it's been four years since I've done it!

Right, please bear with me - my knowledge of computers is gash...

I have taken a few photos of friends to go on some cheap flyers

I just need to "cut" round the people in the pictures and get rid of the background, any idea how I do this with out using the rubber in Paint? Thus wasting hours and making it look shit?

As always, if you could spell out your answer in such a way that a two year old could do it then hpefully I won't bombard ou with follow up questions!

If it helps im using a programme called Corel Draw to make the flyers.....

Cheers

From personal trainer to Pimp. :nono::whistle:

It's kind of tough if you aren't sure what you're doing.

What are the backgrounds like? Are they just regular photos with busy backgrounds or are they on plain neutral backgrounds?

The best advise I can give if you aren't 100% sure, is whatever way you do it, work on the largest size of image you possibly can and then scale it down, at least then all the pixelation won't look as harsh.

If it's a fairly plain background you might get away with just selecting and deleting the background in Photoshop/GIMP/Corel. If it's a busier background you may need to manually erase it with a brush or eraser tool. But once it's downscaled in size it won't look as jagged.

Thanks for all your responses, its quite a busy background, I took the photos out in the park of some mates swinging kettlebells - I had a go but it didnt quite work well, even with scaling the pictures down.

As it happens I've changed the leaflet completely now because my effort looked crap! I know a guy who's good with computers I might persuade him to do it for me but with more simple pictures and less going on in the background.

From personal trainer to Pimp. :nono::whistle:

I'm a man of many, many talents!

Yeah if you can redo the photos against a plain, wall (although preferably make sure no clothes colours match the wall) it'll make the job a lot easier. :thumbup:

I wouldn't feel that computer illiterate about it, it's not the kind of thing you can usually pick up and do a really decent job of without a bit of practice and patience. Some people make a healthy living from just doing stuff like that and you can buy photoshop plug-in that cost thousands to just cut out hair from a photo.

IV'E DONE IT!!!

Thanks again for your help, you will literally save me hours of work in the future when im scrimping and saving and making my own flyers/posters!

Decided to do away with the picture of my ugly friends and just use a Kettlebell instead, is there any way I can upload it here to show you (im quite proud of my big achievement) At the minute its saved as a PDF

I've got a problem on Photoshop (CS3)... I've always made my photo's black and white and then gone back over part of the photo with the history art tool (making one part of the photo colour, and the rest black and white).

Anyway, went to do it, but the history art tool is making it blur.. I've tried changing things but nothing. Any ideas?

I've got a problem on Photoshop (CS3)... I've always made my photo's black and white and then gone back over part of the photo with the history art tool (making one part of the photo colour, and the rest black and white).

Anyway, went to do it, but the history art tool is making it blur.. I've tried changing things but nothing. Any ideas?

Is it blurring the actual images detail or just giving a soft edge to the brushwork? Have you checked the brushes size, type and flow?

I've always found the best way to achieve that effect is to have two separate layers, one b&w and one colour, then just mask off everything you don't need. Maybe a bit more long winded but I find it allows for better control and adjustments later on.

Is it blurring the actual images detail or just giving a soft edge to the brushwork? Have you checked the brushes size, type and flow?

I've always found the best way to achieve that effect is to have two separate layers, one b&w and one colour, then just mask off everything you don't need. Maybe a bit more long winded but I find it allows for better control and adjustments later on.

Its a football image I'm attempting to do.. and it's blurring the player's face when I attempt to bring colour back to his face and body. Also, the history art brush seems to liquidy, if you know what I mean. It doesn't seem to be solid.

This is the first time it has ever happened to me, and I don't know how to change it back... lol

IV'E DONE IT!!!

Thanks again for your help, you will literally save me hours of work in the future when im scrimping and saving and making my own flyers/posters!

Decided to do away with the picture of my ugly friends and just use a Kettlebell instead, is there any way I can upload it here to show you (im quite proud of my big achievement) At the minute its saved as a PDF

If you go to more reply options you get the option to upload a file, then you can add it to your post, as a pdf it would probably just appear as an attachment, if it is an image file, jpeg or png it will display as an image in your post.

Archived