Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

So Herc and now Sydnor in S4 of Boardwalk.

21CF, tell me Ellis Carver appears in episode four with Kima Greggs in tow. Tell me now. God damnit, Hoover (who, by the way, is from Generation Kill) is going to need a turn of the century Jimmy McNulty if he's ever going to send Nucky Johnson down.

Boardwalk's cast is growing to be possibly one of the best ever. Pete Gibbon's from Office Space too!

I feel a storm coming for one of my favourite characters...

a certain teutonic manservant.

I can feel that Dr Narcisse is going to be an exceptional villain, there's nothing better than a ideological bad guy.

Open All Hours to return for an xmas special, won't be the same without Ronnie Barker

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a521620/sir-david-jason-to-star-in-open-all-hours-christmas-special.html

thought it might be one of these looking back episodes with clips showing the best bits.

How did Granville manage to father a son? He was never allowed out.

The amount of good shows all on at the same time at the moment is crazy! Breaking Bad, Dexter, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire and Homeland will be starting in a few weeks.

This also looks great.... Lizzy Caplan  :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqwahKjI2bg

This starts on Channel 4 tomorrow 9pm.

I also read that David Milch (Deadwood creator) is getting an HBO pilot for a show called The Money, with Brendan Gleeson (The Guard) playing a Rupert Murdoch-like media mogul and the head of a family which contains members with very different moral and political views. It quite frankly sounds ****ing brilliant. Brendan Gleeson playing an amoral ****bag sounds too good to be true.

Confession for MattP.

I've actually seen very little of the Sopranos (I know, I know.) I'm a well documented HBO enthusiast and whilst I hugely appreciate the impact of the Sopranos (and like James Gandolfini, crime dramas, intelligent, deeply involved television, Mafia films et all) I've always struggled to get beyond the first couple of episodes. It's a bit slow and it's just never quite gripped me.

I've religiously spent years telling people to be patient with The Wire because it's a slow burner and I can see myself convincing people the same of Breaking Bad for years to come (if they were insane enough to miss it whilst it was on TV.) Is it fair to say I should take my own advice and force myself through the first half a season of Sopranos or does it actually not get much more dynamic? Is it just a naturally lethargic show?

Convince me. I do want to be converted. 

Confession for MattP.

I've actually seen very little of the Sopranos (I know, I know.) I'm a well documented HBO enthusiast and whilst I hugely appreciate the impact of the Sopranos (and like James Gandolfini, crime dramas, intelligent, deeply involved television, Mafia films et all) I've always struggled to get beyond the first couple of episodes. It's a bit slow and it's just never quite gripped me.

I've religiously spent years telling people to be patient with The Wire because it's a slow burner and I can see myself convincing people the same of Breaking Bad for years to come (if they were insane enough to miss it whilst it was on TV.) Is it fair to say I should take my own advice and force myself through the first half a season of Sopranos or does it actually not get much more dynamic? Is it just a naturally lethargic show?

I've only seen series 1-4.

small spoilers

series 1 is a bit slow but it gets better, the shows trying to find its feet at the start. In my opinion series 2 is the best series, Richie Aprile was a fantastic nemesis for Tony, its one of my favorite bits of TV. series 3 was also very good but I didnt like it as much as 2. series 4 was a mixed bag. cant comment on any further series 

I imagine I'll definitely give it a go, with Homeland back and Walking Dead finally at the top of my pile it'll probably be around Crimbo but I'm eager to enjoy it. Just every time I start season one, something else pops up that I just prefer.

Oh and, half hour in to House of Cards and the count is already one from the Wire, two from Gen Kill.

Confession for MattP.

It's one of those shows where you get so absolutely wrapped up with the characters you barely notice when a episode is fast paced or not, you're just so enraptured with any detail or nuance from a character. It's basically all about the characters so the first season (like most shows) just needs to be absorbed but not judged.

There are just so many amazing characters that come and go. I have to say though I did prefer it once his mum isn't in it. (Which is unfortunate as the actress actually did die).

Confession for MattP.

I think if you are a fan of gangster like movies and I love them, the least favorite part for me is when it gets domesticated or the 'love' interested kicks in.

When we pan to the Sopranos home issues or sessions with his psychiatrist I glaze over. For me the interest is the power play between the families and the police etc.

The Sopranos rarely got more than 50% action described above and the rest was fluff. From your signature you're a devote of Boardwalk and even that has too much of Kelly McDonald replaying Mary Maceachran.

Movies like The Godfather and more recently The Departed are much more gripping in the story line.

Guest MattP

Confession for MattP.

If you are a fan of Italian-American mafioso stuff you will love it. It's actually diffuclt to really get into as getting to know the dynamics and characters connected to each crew, capo, family and boss can be difficult.

21CF makes a good point, I got so engrossed with the characters that I barely noticed how long or how lethargic some of the episodes were. The family is so intriguing from Tony all the way to Uncle Junior and the whole situation shapes with New York and the connection to Jersey is terrific.

The trip to the shrink is boring at the start but by the second series you start to see the depths of it and how he is struggling to combine the interest of the two familes in his life along with the depression is he suffering himself that goes back years and years.

Richie Aprile is a brilliant nemesis, Ralph Ciferetto will annoy you trying to get to sleep, Johnny Sack is my favourite ever gangster.

If you like Buscemi in Boardwalk you'll love him even more in this.

Season one of Sopranos is a bit poo, or at least it was when I watched it at like 14. Took me like 2 months to get round to watching season 2 and I blitzed through the rest in weeks. Definite slow burner but its so unbelievably worth it.

I love Buscemi in everything to be fair. (he's got the whole world, in his hands!)

Ha! like what YOU did there.

He is a part of everything. He is in the sky and sea. He is in the dreams of children at night. He is all that there is, forever.

Edited by 21st Century Fox