Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

31 minutes ago, TK95 said:

I've just finished Ridley Road on BBC.

I actually thought it was pretty interesting until the final episode which made it look daft :rolleyes:

Was watching it and recalling the actual events... then I fell asleep. It became quite dull.

2 hours ago, TK95 said:

Steve Bruce lol

"Everyone seems to like having a pop at me, but I knew coming in it would be tough. I'll never walk away though as I love this jungle and the people in it, just ask my lad Alex. 

"Look, I know I didn't bring back any food this time but we've just got to pick wo'rselves up and make sure we learn and do better on the next task." 

' -- Steve was voted out 1st -- ' 

Edited by The Bear
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Anyone watched succession? Halfway through the first series and it intrigues me enough to keep watching but some bits I think what on earth is this. I've been told second season is a far better watch so sticking it out.

Best show on TV. Second season is absolutely epic.

20 hours ago, Tuna said:

Thoughts? No Sopranos because it debuted in '99.

Agree with the no. 1 pick but the rest just tells me my tastes differ massively from that of TV critics!

I'm not sure my own top 10 (outside of The Wire) are even on that list!

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Anyone watched succession? Halfway through the first series and it intrigues me enough to keep watching but some bits I think what on earth is this. I've been told second season is a far better watch so sticking it out.

I loved the first 2 seasons. 

I’d say definitely worth sticking with. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 19:46, Tuna said:

Thoughts? No Sopranos because it debuted in '99.

The fact that Always Sunny only just squeaks in at 90 while Adventure Time doesn't even feature at all tells you everything you need to know about the validity of this list.  Alternatively you could draw the same conclusion from Big Bang Theory's presence on it.

• Like 2

I watched the final episode in series 1 of Homecoming last night. The series was simply (an apt word too) brilliant.

It doesn't appear in the BBC's top 100 hundred list. I think I have a different set of criteria for good TV. I might expand on that, when I'm not on my tablet where one finger typing is both laborious and error prone.

On 18/10/2021 at 00:53, TK95 said:

I actually thought it was pretty interesting until the final episode which made it look daft :rolleyes:

Yes, final episodes can make or break a series for people. It must be difficult, in fairness, to wrap up a series; some people will want everything resolved and loose ends tied, others will see that as unnecessary and possibly clunky preferring to see a series as a slice of life with issues ongoing. Sometimes there is no ideal ending and you have to accept some degree of compromise as the credits roll.

Similar thing with films; I've gone off films entirely purely because of the ending.

On 30/09/2021 at 09:23, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Just binged people just do nothing on Netflix thought it was brilliant chabuddy g what a creation. Funniest thing was I think their music was actually alright. 

I'm on series 5 now, binged the first 4 series over the last week. Funniest show I've seen in a long time :appl:

Look forward to Wheel of Time debuting next month. Still got a fair old way to go till I'm finished with the books, but they'll make a good long-running show if done correctly and there's currently space for a large-budget high fantasy show on TV. Definitely got a good actor in Rosamund to hit the ground running in one of the lead roles.

Edited by samlcfc
  • Like 1

Been spending nearly every waking hour I'm not working watching Seinfeld. Currently just starting the 7th season and I must say season 4-7, even though its pretty dated in how it handles certain topics and a lot of the plot lines I've seen in a lot of newer sitcoms (looking at you, Always Sunny), it is just a total hoot, Kramer and his physical comedy are brilliant, George just has some really cracking story lines and things he comes out with he is such a vile and putrid individual it's great. Give the last 4 seasons 9.5/10. Anyone who fancies it I would heavily advise skipping seasons 1 and 2 they're terrible. 3 is where the characters start to take shape and the writing improves, 4 is when they really hit their stride. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Been spending nearly every waking hour I'm not working watching Seinfeld. Currently just starting the 7th season and I must say season 4-7, even though its pretty dated in how it handles certain topics and a lot of the plot lines I've seen in a lot of newer sitcoms (looking at you, Always Sunny), it is just a total hoot, Kramer and his physical comedy are brilliant, George just has some really cracking story lines and things he comes out with he is such a vile and putrid individual it's great. Give the last 4 seasons 9.5/10. Anyone who fancies it I would heavily advise skipping seasons 1 and 2 they're terrible. 3 is where the characters start to take shape and the writing improves, 4 is when they really hit their stride. 

For me it's the greatest sitcom of all time. First discovered it back in the mid 90's and have been repeatedly watching it ever since, and when I mean repeatedly I mean almost every day since. Lost count of how many times we've watched each season. That sounds sad and it probably is but it's become a comfort blanket of sorts. Don't binge anymore but if we've a spare 25 mins we'll put one on. 

You're right about it being dated and as you say the first 2 seasons are not great, but season 2 has The Chinese Restaurant episode which is fantastic and that episode really put the show on the map.

All the characters are great imo but a massive shout must go to Wayne Knight for the Newman character, simply hilarious. Also the J Peterman character, very good with some great lines, 'woof' being one of them which still gets me now.

• Like 1