Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 13/05/2022 at 21:26, Izzy said:

Grace on ITV is decent.

Always liked John Simm since his Human Traffic days and he's good in this.

Just started on this now.

Geezer in the coffin after his stag doo.

Looks like the Best mates upto no good. 

• Like 1

The Girl From Plainville

Mini series about the girl charged with manslaughter, for texting her boyfriend to kill himself.
I thought this dragged.  Too many episodes.  Found myself getting bored with it, but wanted to finish watching.
It also drove me crazy the way the show jumped around timelines.  It got confusing (to me at least).
Why the director chose this style, rather than telling the story in order, makes no sense to me.
The last thing that bothered me was the way Conrad (the young man who commits suicide) was portrayed.  He was just not likeable at all.  

I did like the way the text messaging was conveyed.  As if they were in the same room speaking to each other.

Only way Id recommend this, is if your bored or very interested in the story.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, he clearly has his own piece to speak and I'm glad that he has the platform to do so.

Likewise, I'll also use this platform to express my own subjective piece that he clearly lacks empathy and gets a kick out of punching down.

Oh please.

Do SJWs feel that way about all comedians, or only the ones who tell trans jokes?

12 minutes ago, marbles said:

Oh please.

Do SJWs feel that way about all comedians, or only the ones who tell trans jokes?

The one's that punch down, yeah. But I'm only speaking for myself there.

And pardon me for thinking contributing to an environment where an already marginalised community gets treated even worse (but yeah, it's all a joke) is somehow a negative.

NB. As per above, Gervais can say what he likes, and there's things I think he's spot on with. This....not so much.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The one's that punch down, yeah. But I'm only speaking for myself there.

And pardon me for thinking contributing to an environment where an already marginalised community gets treated even worse (but yeah, it's all a joke) is somehow a negative.

NB. As per above, Gervais can say what he likes, and there's things I think he's spot on with. This....not so much.

One of these days I'm going to total up how many times you've typed the words "Marginalized" and :"environment".  I'm betting they run neck and neck 

Trans People want to be treated like everyone else - can we agree on that?

Jokes about Black People - no outrage

Jokes about Asians - no outrage

Jokes about Jewish People - no outrage

Jokes about Italians - no outrage

Jokes about White People - no outrage

Jokes about men - no outrage

Jokes about women - no ooutrage

Jokes about Trans - hmm

1 minute ago, marbles said:

One of these days I'm going to total up how many times you've typed the words "Marginalized" and :"environment".  I'm betting they run neck and neck 

Trans People want to be treated like everyone else - can we agree on that?

Jokes about Black People - no outrage

Jokes about Asians - no outrage

Jokes about Jewish People - no outrage

Jokes about Italians - no outrage

Jokes about White People - no outrage

Jokes about men - no outrage

Jokes about women - no ooutrage

Jokes about Trans - hmm

...doesn't stop either of the above being true/important.

And the difference between those various demographics and the last one is that society has (thankfully) mostly moved on in a way that actually targetting one of them in prejudiced fashion (at least in many places) is Not The Done Thing. With trans folks...I'm honestly not sure. (We don't tend to have comedians using various racial slurs as part of their routine now, for example.)

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...doesn't stop either of the above being true/important.

And the difference between those various demographics and the last one is that society has (thankfully) mostly moved on in a way that actually targetting one of them in prejudiced fashion (at least in many places) is Not The Done Thing. With trans folks...I'm honestly not sure. (We don't tend to have comedians using various racial slurs as part of their routine now, for example.)

again - they want to be treated like everyone else.

Funny thing is, if comedians like Ricky and Chappelle did their routines - the only people who would watch/know about them are their respective fans.

However, when attention is drawn to a joke, everyone tunes in (for example, I'll now be watching and I've never seen one of Ricky shows).  Increasing their value and justifying what they say.

With the "concern" you show, I would worry that giving away all the free publicity could make a small time comedian decide to tell some Trans jokes to gain notoriety.   

In the end - Trans People want to be treated like everyone else. 

That wont happen when  the "Do-Gooders" try to treat them as a protected class.  Sorry.

12 minutes ago, marbles said:

again - they want to be treated like everyone else.

Funny thing is, if comedians like Ricky and Chappelle did their routines - the only people who would watch/know about them are their respective fans.

However, when attention is drawn to a joke, everyone tunes in (for example, I'll now be watching and I've never seen one of Ricky shows).  Increasing their value and justifying what they say.

With the "concern" you show, I would worry that giving away all the free publicity could make a small time comedian decide to tell some Trans jokes to gain notoriety.   

In the end - Trans People want to be treated like everyone else. 

That wont happen when  the "Do-Gooders" try to treat them as a protected class.  Sorry.

Ah, the "Streisand Effect" in action? You know, that's a fair point in practice.

I guess it just frustrates me when I see a community just wanting to live their lives being targeted when they're targeted more than somewhat already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Ah, the "Streisand Effect" in action? You know, that's a fair point in practice.

I guess it just frustrates me when I see a community just wanting to live their lives being targeted when they're targeted more than somewhat already.

Think it depends on how the community looks at it. 

I honestly don't know.  They may see those jokes and be legitimately offended.  Or they may see them and laugh.  Worse yet, they could see them and feel pressure to be offended, even though it doesn't bother them. 

I really don't know.

10 minutes ago, marbles said:

Think it depends on how the community looks at it. 

I honestly don't know.  They may see those jokes and be legitimately offended.  Or they may see them and laugh.  Worse yet, they could see them and feel pressure to be offended, even though it doesn't bother them. 

I really don't know.

Well, judging by my (reasonably sized) circle of friends in the community, the general theme seems to be "For goodness sake, our lives are hard enough already without this guy using his platform to indirectly make it harder". And I do have sympathy with that.

Of course, that's just my take and this is veering rather off topic so I'll leave it at that.