Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

I saw the show live at the London Palladium and thought it was great. He is so repetitive on social media though. 

It is a bit low hanging fruit and he’ll probably end up getting booted off Netflix. Then we’ll be stuck with 100 shows of Nish Kumar and Katherine Ryan. Is that what we want?

53 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The main issue for me is there are a hardcore group of Trans activists who froth at the mouth on Twitter and want to marginalise other genders such as CIS women in order for them to be "treated equally". Those people can all get to fvck. 

There's a parallel between this and the Extinction Rebellion protesters, one might say.

They don't add anything useful to the discussion and do turn people off which is of course not good, but that really shouldn't distract people from the fact that the matter they're talking about is real and salient.

6 hours ago, marbles said:

However, when attention is drawn to a joke, everyone tunes in (for example, I'll now be watching and I've never seen one of Ricky shows). 

Make sure you go back and watch Politics (his 2nd tour), it's brilliant. Then listen to the DVD commentary version with him and Robin Ince, which is even funnier than the show itself

• Like 1

I'm a huge Gervais fan (with a forthcoming caveat) but I've never really enjoyed his stand up.  His TV work is up there with my favourite viewing and I'll, likely, never get tired of it along with the podcasts and general interviews he does which are usually humours and insightful.

When he goes on stage for the stand up he seems to be a very different character.  I recognise it's all an act, but the content is generally low brow making fun of disabled people, the religious or other groups and then taking a step back as if he's holding a mirror up to the issue, which I never get the impression he actually is.  I get comedy is mainly misdirection to try and shock and surprise, but think he needs to wind it down a bit.  But I guess if he did, it wouldn't be as popular and it wouldn't differentiate the stand up from his other work.

Think the reason his TV/podcast work is so exceptional as there always someone to reel him back to actually let his wit and intelligence show through which he doesn't seem to do on his stand up.  I've not actually seen Supernature yet, but most of the clips I've seen seem to show it being consistent with his other work.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I saw the show live at the London Palladium and thought it was great. He is so repetitive on social media though. 

It is a bit low hanging fruit and he’ll probably end up getting booted off Netflix. Then we’ll be stuck with 100 shows of Nish Kumar and Katherine Ryan. Is that what we want?

Actually, Netflix is standing by its creators

https://www.fox13news.com/news/netflix-tells-employees-to-quit-if-theyre-offended-by-new-culture-memo

• Like 2

Watched Super Nature tonight and while it wasn’t his best stand up it was still very funny. Credit to Gervais he absolutely has been living the dream following the office. He deserves it seeing as the office is the greatest ever British comedy.

On 26/05/2022 at 21:17, Unabomber said:

Watched Super Nature tonight and while it wasn’t his best stand up it was still very funny. Credit to Gervais he absolutely has been living the dream following the office. He deserves it seeing as the office is the greatest ever British comedy.

Ricky Gervais is great but I think the best thing he done was bringing Karl Pilkington to the screen and directing AIA 1, 2 & 3 is comedy gold.

The office is great though as well tbf. 

I'm not a fan off stand up so probably why I don't like that side of his stuff but he is funny

forgot the ricky gervais show that was brilliant as well.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Unabomber said:

In your opinion. Comedy like music and art etc, is subjective.

I liked The Office, I thought it was clever, funny and well written.

There are so many great British comedy series going back decades. Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Steptoe and Son, Dad's Army and the list goes on...

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Well yeah I wasn’t posting on behalf of anyone else’s opinion

Fair enough. No offence intended. It was just a response.

Maybe if you'd said "IMO..."

No matter. 

Keeper if The Ashes

4 part Documentary on Oklahoma Girl Scout murders that took place in Oklahoma 1977.
I knew nothing about this before seeing a promo.
Actress Kristin Chenoweth apparently was supposed to go on the camping trip, but got sick.
Three young girls brutally killed and a suspect arrested.

Very maddening to watch.  Apparently people (and media) got behind the suspect, and treated him like a hero.  Despite the fact that he had already plead guilty to the kidnapping, rape and attempted murder of a couple other woman.

It is fascinating, although I do recommend skipping through the parts featuring Kristin.  They come off as contrived and insincere.

On 27/05/2022 at 20:11, Raj said:

Stranger things new series started today  apparently  my 13 year old daughters told me....

Binged watched it today. 

It’s a lot, lot darker this series. 

23 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Obi wan so good. 

I enjoyed it.  A decent amount of good quality humour in it also unlike the dire forced crap we were fed in the recent movies.  

Slightly darker take as well made it feel more geared towards an older audience which helps.

19 hours ago, Sly said:

Binged watched it today. 

It’s a lot, lot darker this series. 

Not watched it yet but caught the trailer. 

The whole guitar on the bus in the upside down seems a bit...silly. 

Is it any good? 

Just now, foxile5 said:

Not watched it yet but caught the trailer. 

The whole guitar on the bus in the upside down seems a bit...silly. 

Is it any good? 

Yes, we enjoyed it. It’s different to the other series though. 

Not sure why they’ve split it into two parts, as the final two episodes aren’t coming out until July. 

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

Yes, we enjoyed it. It’s different to the other series though. 

Not sure why they’ve split it into two parts, as the final two episodes aren’t coming out until July. 

Seems to be the standard for prestige shows at the minute. 

I don't mind it. Gives a bit of time to discuss and predict with the folk you know. Something that's lost in modern binge TV culture.