Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

43 minutes ago, taupe said:

Dunno what you mean by inclusionism but all those dancing shows are wank. The only show that depresses me more is Big Bang Theory.... oh, and Modern Family... and.... come think of it, there are quite a few. Guess I must just be a miserable git.

Agree on Big Bang, but Modern Family is class I actually think it's very underrated over here as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just finished binge-watching both series of Industry (BBC). I didn’t understand a lot of it, because I don’t really understand how financial markets work. For all that I found it gripping and exciting, with really interesting, well-drawn characters. 

3 hours ago, taupe said:

Dunno what you mean by inclusionism but all those dancing shows are wank. The only show that depresses me more is Big Bang Theory.... oh, and Modern Family... and.... come think of it, there are quite a few. Guess I must just be a miserable git.

By inclusionism I mean these things seem to have to hit a target of "no matter what" you're included. Tonight's Strictly wasn't far short of dwarf tossing and elephant dancing. 

9 hours ago, Parafox said:

By inclusionism I mean these things seem to have to hit a target of "no matter what" you're included. Tonight's Strictly wasn't far short of dwarf tossing and elephant dancing. 

So should someone like Ellie Simmonds not be allowed to take part in something like this. She's physically able but obviously there are challenges she has to overcome, but you're saying due to her disability she should be excluded? 

Regarding the elephant comment, I assume you mean the comic, Jayne Adams? We've seen plenty of larger people compete on this in past and it's often led them to lose weight and start to live a healthier life.

• Like 1

'Freind of the family' has been decent although it feels like with the families involvement in the show, they are trying to fix perceptions of them after the documentary came out. It all feels a bit "we suspected he was weird all along" when you know that they fully trusted this man and subconsciously turned a blind eye to an awful lot. 

59 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Blimey, this weeks House of the Dragon is amazing. 

Paddy Considine :appl:

People are knocking it for lack of action. How much action (outside of a few set piece episodes) did GoT have in the early days when it was so good?

This is excellent character driven stuff just like that. Very much enjoying it. The action can - and will - come later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

LOVED that episode. Easily the best of HOT D so far. Paddy Considine's performance utterly phenomenal. Shakespearean. Award worthy!

Apparently GRR Martin sent him a text that just said "Your Viserys is better than my Viserys". 

That's when you know you nailed it! 

The performances have been good, the writing has been poor. So largely par for late stage HBO GOT. 

What frustrates me the most is that they haven't learned from their mistakes. By far the biggest problem with HOTD is the break neck pace they're trying to sprint through such an intriguing dynastic story. So many abrupt, constant time leaps inside - what - eight odd episodes is near unforgivable. 

Watching the relationship breakdown between Rhaenyra and Alicent & Criston should have been gradual, nuanced, subtle to begin with. Instead they flipped it round in a scene effectively and in the case of Criston they pretty much reversed his entire personality off screen. 

It's exactly the problem with Danny's descent in to madness in GoT. Her going insane was a perfectly legitimate direction to take that story but doing it with very little ground work in a blink ruined her story for the vast majority of viewers, all because of lazy, impatient writing. And now they're doing it again. 

What's the rush to tell this story? GoT's first five or so seasons were some of the best TV of all time because they took their time to tell a slowly building and immensely deep and rich story. This has all the vibes of a hastily written mini series that will end up being a criminally forgettable waste of a fantastic cast and solid IP if the show runners aren't careful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Just finishing Dahmer on Netflix, good, but would be conclusion. Think such shows will always have a but though, as they don’t really offer that much insight to some of the victims.

I actually thought the best thing about Dahmer was the second half taking some focus off him and putting it on the victims. 

I still think they went too far painting him as just this troubled, sympathetic character. Dahmer, in his own words, lacked empathy and human kindness and I feel that Peters' portrayal is almost a little too "he just needs a hug" at times. 

But it was nice to see the Tony Hughes episode which was a really good touch IMO and something these shows often neglect.