Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I actually thought the best thing about Dahmer was the second half taking some focus off him and putting it on the victims. 

I still think they went too far painting him as just this troubled, sympathetic character. Dahmer, in his own words, lacked empathy and human kindness and I feel that Peters' portrayal is almost a little too "he just needs a hug" at times. 

But it was nice to see the Tony Hughes episode which was a really good touch IMO and something these shows often neglect. 

You are probably right, but I guess I was looking for more victim story prior to their murder at the hands of Dahmer, rather than the aftermath.

Agree 100%, the Tony Hughes episode was very good indeed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The performances have been good, the writing has been poor. So largely par for late stage HBO GOT. 

What frustrates me the most is that they haven't learned from their mistakes. By far the biggest problem with HOTD is the break neck pace they're trying to sprint through such an intriguing dynastic story. So many abrupt, constant time leaps inside - what - eight odd episodes is near unforgivable. 

Watching the relationship breakdown between Rhaenyra and Alicent & Criston should have been gradual, nuanced, subtle to begin with. Instead they flipped it round in a scene effectively and in the case of Criston they pretty much reversed his entire personality off screen. 

It's exactly the problem with Danny's descent in to madness in GoT. Her going insane was a perfectly legitimate direction to take that story but doing it with very little ground work in a blink ruined her story for the vast majority of viewers, all because of lazy, impatient writing. And now they're doing it again. 

What's the rush to tell this story? GoT's first five or so seasons were some of the best TV of all time because they took their time to tell a slowly building and immensely deep and rich story. This has all the vibes of a hastily written mini series that will end up being a criminally forgettable waste of a fantastic cast and solid IP if the show runners aren't careful. 

Nah, can't agree with you on this one. The pacing hasn't been perfect but it's a far cry from Dany suddenly deciding to go all Towering Inferno on King's Landing.

It could certainly have been done slower and with more nuance, but the writing involving the character interplay is far from poor IMO.

I agree in that after the Tony Hughes episode I couldn't help but think that every episode should have focused on the victim. It would have stood out as different in that the main subject of the series (being Dahmer) would have almost appeared as a secondary character in the multiple stories of his different victims. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 13:46, leicsmac said:

Nah, can't agree with you on this one. The pacing hasn't been perfect but it's a far cry from Dany suddenly deciding to go all Towering Inferno on King's Landing.

It could certainly have been done slower and with more nuance, but the writing involving the character interplay is far from poor IMO.

The pacing hasn't bothered me too much, but I can't help feel like there was so much more that could have been done with it. See early GOT when there was so much detail and nuance as you say. 

But then, we're expecting TV show writers to build in what George R. R. Martin spent years and years doing, in a short period of time. Which in all honesty isn't going to happen and is why the original series went a bit to shit when they had to create their own stuff rather than take it from him. 

Cracker is some of the best TV of the nineties, particularly the first two series, incredible larger than life performance from Robbie Coltrane and brilliant writing from Jimmy McGovern.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Started Yellowstone. Absolutely love it. Character grab you from the very first episode. 

What channel/stream? 

FFS I wish posters on this topic would tell us where we can watch the stuff they recommend. We aren't fukking psychic  :@

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You can always Google it?

I could, but when posting a recommendation why not tell us where it can be found? I assume the poster has watched it on some platform/stream/channel. It would be so helpful and more convenient to tell us and to then we go directly to that source.

It's like a any review of anything that interests you, but the review doesn't tell you where to get it from. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

What channel/stream? 

FFS I wish posters on this topic would tell us where we can watch the stuff they recommend. We aren't fukking psychic  :@

I’ve posted this once before.

Hate to respond rudely - but instead of complaining, try using it

https://www.justwatch.com/

You can enter any tv show/movie and it will tell you if and where it’s streaming.  It’s free and you don’t have to sign up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, marbles said:

I’ve posted this once before.

Hate to respond rudely - but instead of complaining, try using it

https://www.justwatch.com/

You can enter any tv show/movie and it will tell you if and where it’s streaming.  It’s free and you don’t have to sign up.

But it is no effort at all to put the channel/streaming service in your post too though, is it?

• Like 1

Just now, The Bear said:

There's a great new show I've been watching. Absolutely brilliant it is. 

Though I can't remember what service its on, or what it's even called. I heartily recommend it to Parafox and suggests he watches it immediately. 

Ah just remembered. It's that new detective drama set in Amsterdam. 

Clever Clogs I think it's called. 

1 hour ago, marbles said:

It’s not - I was simply offering an alternative to getting upset

But it's just so annoying when a poster recommends something they recommend you to watch but then not provide the information for you to watch it. 

58 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Though I can't remember what service its on, or what it's even called. I heartily recommend it to Parafox and suggests he watches it immediately. 

Thank you. I'll look out for it and watch it whenever I find any link to whatever it might be. It might be shite but I'll never know because nobody has given a clue as to wher it can be found 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Not Call The Midwife again, surely? 

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

But it's just so annoying when a poster recommends something they recommend you to watch but then not provide the information for you to watch it. 

Can’t speak for everyone else.  
I don’t subscribe to many streaming providers, so a lot of what I watch has been “acquired”.  By the time I get around to watching it, the last thing on my mind is where did it stream and how can someone else watch it.

• Like 2