Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

I'm looking at getting Now TV for a month (although there are 3 months for £15 deal - 1 month of Boost - is that advert free?).

Billions S6 was paused due to Covid, the rest has been screened on Sky Atlantic, we were halfway through, but we moved to Virgin, and they don't have that channel. A couple of other Sky Atlantic things we liked have had another series too. Now TV seems the only option.

Do you just get an account and then there's an app on the TV?

watched the second one of 'how Italia 90 changed football forever last night' (on channel 4) I thought it was very interesting and being a born mid 80's i had never really realised how bad things got with English football and fan culture. Crazy how scared the Italian police were of the English fans so dumped them on Sardina.

The Baby squad got a mention along with other firms up and down the country. It really shows how much football has changed (some bits for the better and some for the worse) in the past 30-40 years. 

Edited by goose2010
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I'm looking at getting Now TV for a month (although there are 3 months for £15 deal - 1 month of Boost - is that advert free?).

Billions S6 was paused due to Covid, the rest has been screened on Sky Atlantic, we were halfway through, but we moved to Virgin, and they don't have that channel. A couple of other Sky Atlantic things we liked have had another series too. Now TV seems the only option.

Do you just get an account and then there's an app on the TV?

Yep. Open an account then you can register to watch on five devices. The Boost gives it to you ad-free, in HD and able to play on three devices at the same time. 

I use the app on my PS5, my lappy and the TV app. 

Tend to grab a month, binge stuff. Then leave it for a while. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Just started watching The Crown (series 1) I know I'm behind the curve - is it worth sticking with?

Yes. Definitely. It grows. It gives a good insight into the RF. The casting is excellent in this. I could watch it again and there aren't many series/films that I'd say that about.

Edited by Parafox

23 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I thought that SAS Rogue Heroes was going to be rubbish but it's actually really good. Great soundtrack. 

BBC iplayer. 

It is good. I've just watched the first episode. Not at all what I expected. It has a distinct style, a kind of comic book humourous vibe, one that had me deciding it might best watched as you'd watch an episode of Reacher - but there's more going on than that.

And, as you say, a nice juxtaposition in the soundtrack - saying any more would require a spoiler alert!

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 18:41, Parafox said:

Watched Louis Theroux talking to Stormzy last night. I almost didn't as I have no real interest in Black Rap, but it was actually very interesting and revealed a very nice, thoughtful, generous and grounded man. 

And again tonight ON BBC1 talking to Judi Dench. Excellent, warm, humorous, and insightful. I don't know how he does it, but he brings out real depth and honesty in those he interviews no matter what the subject matter.

• Like 1

Andor ep.9 was another slow paced episode where a lot happened and you see just how maliciously devious  the Empire is, Serkis was pretty good as per usual.

Good review but very spoilery 

Edited by ithuriel

21 hours ago, taupe said:

It is good. I've just watched the first episode. Not at all what I expected. It has a distinct style, a kind of comic book humourous vibe, one that had me deciding it might best watched as you'd watch an episode of Reacher - but there's more going on than that.

And, as you say, a nice juxtaposition in the soundtrack - saying any more would require a spoiler alert!

Not sure about this one. Not keen on the comic book approach or the modern soundtrack to 1940s events. Might watch the first episode again as I was a bit distracted upon viewing

6 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Might watch the first episode again as I was a bit distracted upon viewing

In honesty, it took me a little while to adjust/warm to it because it is a little unusual. I had my Eureka moment when I thought 'treat it like Reacher' and from there on in, I was ok with it. 

As a straight up, historically reliable recount of commandos in North Africa, no, it wouldn't work. But then it's not that, even though it does tongue-in-cheek say 'based on fact' in the opening credits. There is an accompanying documentary (Rogue Warriors) but I'm going to save watching that until after I've seen the entire series - I don't want any spoilers!

10 minutes ago, taupe said:

In honesty, it took me a little while to adjust/warm to it because it is a little unusual. I had my Eureka moment when I thought 'treat it like Reacher' and from there on in, I was ok with it. 

As a straight up, historically reliable recount of commandos in North Africa, no, it wouldn't work. But then it's not that, even though it does tongue-in-cheek say 'based on fact' in the opening credits. There is an accompanying documentary (Rogue Warriors) but I'm going to save watching that until after I've seen the entire series - I don't want any spoilers!

Thanks for your update. I'll give it another go

My wife is watching Anatomy Of An Affair at the moment (Netflix I think, if you must) Tedious, clichéd nonsense (imho) of which I couldn't care less. The programme thinks so highly of itself, and the cast play with such seriousness, but it is brain dead; says nothing let anything new. I'd rather read FT. ;)

Getting stuck in to del toros the cabinet of curiosities on Netflix. It's brilliant, the lovecraft story the dreams in the witch house a stand out for me, as a huge fan of the author and with his work so frequently translating to the screen atrociously, to see such a good story done so well, though quite a few liberties have been taken with the source material, without doubt, it's still the story at its core and bravo Rupert Grint he was beyond brilliant in the lead role. The set designs and lighting absolutely brilliant, cgi likewise. Really scary in parts and gut wrenching in others. 9/10.

6 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I did finish it. Thought it was somewhere between average and dreadful. So, poor, agreed. 

Agreed. It was a TV series based on a 'not very interesting in the first place' true story then padded out with a bit of tenuous link to another true story. "Poor" is more concise though.