Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

8 hours ago, taupe said:

My wife is watching Anatomy Of An Affair at the moment (Netflix I think, if you must) Tedious, clichéd nonsense (imho) of which I couldn't care less. The programme thinks so highly of itself, and the cast play with such seriousness, but it is brain dead; says nothing let anything new. I'd rather read FT. ;)

It sounds right up my street lol Tbf I like something on in the background while I'm working that doesn't need too much concentration. 

I can only find Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix, one and the same?

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I can only find Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix, one and the same?

If it's got what's her name... Sienna Miller in it then, yes, that's the one. I read whilst my wife watches it so it would work as background, no concentration required, watching.

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

If it's got what's her name... Sienna Miller in it then, yes, that's the one. I read whilst my wife watches it so it would work as background, no concentration required, watching.

Yes that's the one, thanks :) The other one is better looking, her from Downton Abbey :thumbup: 

SAS Rogue Heroes episode 2. Top tele. The soundtrack has become even more anachronistic (if such a thing is possible) Don't let the basis in historical fact concern you, let alone inspire you to look for fault, this is primarily a comic book romp. La taupe recommends.

• Like 2

Just finished Welcome To Wrexham

Really enjoyed the stuff around the team.  Felt the interviews with the supporters made it drag a little.  The one crying woman really got on my nerves -  she was so damn annoying that I cringed whenever she showed up on screen 

Shantaram on Apple TV. 

It was always going to be difficult to replicate the immersive aspects of the book…but they really didn’t help themselves by casting Charlie Hunnam and his truly awful Australian accent :nono:

On 01/11/2022 at 13:34, Tommy G said:

Just started watching The Crown (series 1) I know I'm behind the curve - is it worth sticking with?

How you got on with it? I've often been tempted to start it, but then don't. Just seen series 5 is coming out and I'm thinking again about starting it.

On 03/11/2022 at 20:24, taupe said:

SAS Rogue Heroes episode 2. Top tele. The soundtrack has become even more anachronistic (if such a thing is possible) Don't let the basis in historical fact concern you, let alone inspire you to look for fault, this is primarily a comic book romp. La taupe recommends.

Just finished episode 3, thoroughly enjoying it so far. 

I'd always envisaged the SAS being created by top military personnel in a high level secret military base, rather than a chap in a frock and lipstick, in a room in Cairo.

I've finished Rogue Heroes now, and it is really good. It wasn't all played for laughs though and they managed to slide in a couple of heavy think pieces, to their credit, which would have been tricky in a more factual account/credit.

It's a very accomplished bit of TV imo. I kinda hope they don't succumb to the inevitable calls for a 2nd season (and it's set up for it) because I feel they could easily get the balance wrong trying to replicate the things that worked in season 1. Season 1 was a shot in the dark, and has worked because of that, but could also set a template and/or expectation - I personally think it'd be difficult to follow it.

Not sure if this is the right topic or technology, but does anyone have an Amazon Firestick? A friend has said if we get one they have a friend who can modify it to get subscription channels (ones which would be ideal at 3pm Saturday :whistle:).

I know a few people have ahem 'other special' boxes etc. Any experience of the Firestick? Do you just plug it in and select the relevant sports channel and off you go?

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I know a few people have ahem 'other special' boxes etc.

It's a discussion to be had elsewhere I think. I mean, I personally am okay to talk about it but is definitely grey area legally and so out of scope for this forum.

But I've never used a Firestick so I can't comment on that particular device/set up/configuration.

1 minute ago, taupe said:

It's a discussion to be had elsewhere I think. I mean, I personally am okay to talk about it but is definitely grey area legally and so out of scope for this forum.

But I've never used a Firestick so I can't comment on that particular device/set up/configuration.

Yea, I was a bit uncertain asking the question. I've seen a few posts about boxes, but it's probably more black than grey legally lol

9 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Not sure if this is the right topic or technology, but does anyone have an Amazon Firestick? A friend has said if we get one they have a friend who can modify it to get subscription channels (ones which would be ideal at 3pm Saturday :whistle:).

I know a few people have ahem 'other special' boxes etc. Any experience of the Firestick? Do you just plug it in and select the relevant sports channel and off you go?

Yes we use a Firestick, we pay for a subscription that has a very similar interface to a popular UK broadcaster. About €90 for 2 devices I think, for a year.

I know you can get it free, I've tried it before, but i got sick of scrambling for streams every week that would randomly swap to a different match mid game! We much prefer the ease and convenience of what we use now, yes we just plugged it in and it's just like having every single channel you can think of, at the end of your remote.

I can give you the details of the service we use if you like, he does a free 24 hour trial too. 

• Thanks 1

Mike

Hulu's 8 part biographical series on Mike Tyson

I was excited when I first heard it would be 8 parts because I knew there was a lot to Tyson's story.

Unfortunately they are only 30 minute episodes.  So instead of going in-depth, they quickly go through the highlights.

So very disappointing.

I recommend Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth (HBO Max) if you want to learn anything about him.

Five Days at Memorial (AppleTV)
Based on a true story about the circumstances surrounding the deaths of 40 some patients at Memorial Hospital, in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina.

Really good, but rough to watch.

I would definitely recommend.