Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

46 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I'm sure the lead girl from last of us is from Leicestershire.

I'll have to give it a go based on the reviews!

Pretty sure she's from Nottingham. 

Latest episode was another brilliant piece of TV. Really deviating from the game quite a lot but when what they're doing is so good and expanding on the lore so much I'm all for it. It's pretty much flawless so far. 

9 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Pretty sure she's from Nottingham. 

Latest episode was another brilliant piece of TV. Really deviating from the game quite a lot but when what they're doing is so good and expanding on the lore so much I'm all for it. It's pretty much flawless so far. 

Born in notts, schooled in Loughborough so we can claim her as one of ours!! 

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

How good is Happy Valley then?

Tbh, I'm finding season 3 to be disappointing. And I'm finding the portrayal of Catherine as some kind of wise cracking super cop surrounded by incompetents to be a little irritating.... but, tbh, a lot of the time I can't make out what she's actually saying! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taupe said:

Tbh, I'm finding season 3 to be disappointing. And I'm finding the portrayal of Catherine as some kind of wise cracking super cop surrounded by incompetents to be a little irritating.... but, tbh, a lot of the time I can't make out what she's actually saying! 

Welcome back.  I won't rush to watch it then.  

I Would urge anyone with even the mildest interest of the recent history and background of Soviet Union to watch "Russia, 1985 to1999" BBC4. 

It's fascinating. No commentary or voice overs, just basic journalistic filming of the politicians and events of the time, as well as films of ordinary Russians experiencing that period, taken by ordinary Russians depicting their lives during the collapse of the Soviet Union and the subsequent Gorbachev/Yeltsin era up to Putin.

I can't explain it here. Watch it.

Absolutely engrossing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Welcome back.  I won't rush to watch it then.  

Cheers.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good watch, just not up to the standards of the previous series. It's like they've become too aware of the character potential and gone a little too far (in an almost cliched sense) with both protagonists; Catherine and Ryan. That they're gearing up for the showdown/finale is pretty well telegraphed... and, tbf, expected given it's the final series. That all said, there's certainly worse TV (much worse) out there.

1 hour ago, taupe said:

Cheers.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good watch, just not up to the standards of the previous series. It's like they've become too aware of the character potential and gone a little too far (in an almost cliched sense) with both protagonists; Catherine and Ryan. That they're gearing up for the showdown/finale is pretty well telegraphed... and, tbf, expected given it's the final series. That all said, there's certainly worse TV (much worse) out there.

Always a problem when the characters get a little too knowing isn't it? There's quite a lot of good stuff I want to watch atm (just on a spy amongst friends) so I shan't hurry to get to this.  

Interesting to read everyone's take on The Last of Us episode 3. I see it has been review bombed by the frothing gammons.

Spoilers: 

I didn't love episode 3, there were just a few beats that were off, and it started with Ellie & Joel, that was a cool opening scene and I'm settled in for Ellie and Joel infected action, can't wait to have Joel swinging upside down popping off clickers. (If you've not played the game that won't make any sense) so the change in pace put me on the back foot.

I found the introduction of Frank quite jarring and Bill's quick acceptance of Frank and inviting him in was out of character for a paranoid recluse. If Frank had been badly injured or it was clear Bill was missing company or something other than guy in a hole says he's hungry and asks nicely to come in. I just don't see Bill inviting him in so openly. Then that kiss was just weird, no need for it to be so weird. The timeline from going from paranoid recluse virgin to in bed with Frank was just not believable. 

Once their relationship was established I was back on board until the raiders attacked a potentially exciting/tense scene was too short and completely undone by Bill standing in the middle of the street in just a T-shirt shooting armed raiders. Surely he'd be behind cover, have a Kevlar vest and not being such a noob.

I didn't hate the episode, there were just a few missed beats that made it jarring rather than engrossing so I wasn't as emotionally invested when they died. The Ellie and Joel scenes were great and next week looks like it's going to be a good one.

Edited by Captain...

43 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I was just about to post how shit this season is, the plot is absolutely stupid.

I'm more referring to the show as a whole, I've been catching up on the first two series on iplayer.

I agree some of what I've seen this series has been ridiculous!

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

I Would urge anyone with even the mildest interest of the recent history and background of Soviet Union to watch "Russia, 1985 to1999" BBC4. 

It's fascinating. No commentary or voice overs, just basic journalistic filming of the politicians and events of the time, as well as films of ordinary Russians experiencing that period, taken by ordinary Russians depicting their lives during the collapse of the Soviet Union and the subsequent Gorbachev/Yeltsin era up to Putin.

I can't explain it here. Watch it.

Absolutely engrossing.

On a similar note, this is excellent Death of Yugoslavia