Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 28/01/2023 at 21:22, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Blitzing through Search Party, really great and only 22 mins an episode which is fantastic in the era of snackable content.

I just read about this on the BBC website and came on here to ask if anyone on could recommend it.

Coincidentally, the thread loaded on your comment.

I'll give it a try.

23 hours ago, Parafox said:

I Would urge anyone with even the mildest interest of the recent history and background of Soviet Union to watch "Russia, 1985 to1999" BBC4. 

It's fascinating. No commentary or voice overs, just basic journalistic filming of the politicians and events of the time, as well as films of ordinary Russians experiencing that period, taken by ordinary Russians depicting their lives during the collapse of the Soviet Union and the subsequent Gorbachev/Yeltsin era up to Putin.

I can't explain it here. Watch it.

Absolutely engrossing.

I'm going to bump this up.

Just watched the last episode. It really is such an interesting and insightful documentary series. No holds barred, chilling and emotive. 

Edited by Parafox

On 31/01/2023 at 23:09, Parafox said:

I Would urge anyone with even the mildest interest of the recent history and background of Soviet Union to watch "Russia, 1985 to1999" BBC4. 

It's fascinating. No commentary or voice overs, just basic journalistic filming of the politicians and events of the time, as well as films of ordinary Russians experiencing that period, taken by ordinary Russians depicting their lives during the collapse of the Soviet Union and the subsequent Gorbachev/Yeltsin era up to Putin.

Absolutely engrossing.

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm going to bump this up.

Just watched the last episode. It really is such an interesting and insightful documentary series. No holds barred, chilling and emotive. 

Just downloaded this. Could be a while to get round to watching, just catching up on everything we've missed on Atlantic in the last 18 months. 

Still watching anime, currently Demon Slayer season two, Ufotable really are on top of their game and of course, waiting for the finale half season of Attack on Titan.

The season 3 trailer for Demon Slayer...

Love the music too...

Edited by ithuriel

On 01/02/2023 at 21:47, Free Falling Foxes said:

I just read about this on the BBC website and came on here to ask if anyone on could recommend it.

Coincidentally, the thread loaded on your comment.

I'll give it a try.

I've enjoyed it mate, whizzes past at a good pace.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2023 at 23:09, Parafox said:

Absolutely engrossing.

I watched the first episode last night on your recommendation.

Possibly the most bleak, grim, and depressing thing I've seen in ages.

And utterly fascinating. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taupe said:

might have to give The Last Of Us a go as it's getting some good reviews. As a rule, I'm not into 'that kind of thing' but there are always exceptions. I thought Station Eleven was excellent for example and have watched it twice already. 

Can I ask what you mean by "that sort of thing" specifically? I don't mean that as an attack, I'm asking honestly. 

Because if you mean zombies, survival horror, post apocalypse stuff then it isn't really. 

I mean of course that stuff is the setting but it's really just a human drama about people's relationships and the infected just provide a context to explore those relationships. 

One of the best TV shows of all time and one of my absolute favourites is The Leftovers. Superficially, its about 2% of the world's population mysteriously vanishing. But its not actually Sci Fi or a mystery thriller or anything like that. The disappearance is just, as with tlou, context for human drama. 

Honestly, if you like good acting, good quality writing and the like then definitely give it a try. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Can I ask what you mean by "that sort of thing" specifically? I don't mean that as an attack, I'm asking honestly. 

No attack perceived and a fair and honest question which I have no issue answering.

In a sense, I'm owning up to my own prejudice. 'That sort of thing' is indeed post-apocalyptic zombie horror etc. That setting doesn't float my boat as a general rule and had I only read the series description of Station Eleven then I might well have avoided it (and to my own detriment I will add) Station Eleven is, as you say, more a human drama where the 'end of the world' is simply a context to explore that.  I loved it and, in truth, I can't really point to why - something in the relationship between Kirsten and Jeevan I think; how it plays out over time and is 'resolved'.

I watched the The Leftovers too, and agree; it's good. It didn't work for me in quite the same way as Station Eleven (indeed, I think I tired of it towards the end) but it's certainly up there for me. I loved Christopher Eccleston in it too!

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

By sheer osmosis I've caught 5 minutes of it.

Is the person that wins the best singer or the last person people can guess?  I dont understand why the judges are there. Guessing there's a lot of things that are contrived about it?

I'm very confused. Anyway, switching it over now but curious.

21 hours ago, Raj said:

Is it worth jumping on the Happy Valley  bandwagon or is it too late now?

I watched the first 2 series towards the end of December ready for the final series starting. Haven't regretted it.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2023 at 21:12, Samilktray said:

Third episode of The Last Of Us was superb. Just hitting home run after home run so far 

It really is. I'd have been content it just being a decent adaptation from the game but it's probably the best thing I've seen in years so far. I was half expecting to be a little underwhelmed after all the hype about episode 3 but, God, absolutely gut-wrenching.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 19:28, Tommy Fresh said:

Was anyone aware season 2 of Your Honor was out today on Paramount+? Or even close to being released? Haven't seen it advertised at all, also anyone got any idea why this season isn't on Sky Atlantic? 

Only from my tv podcast who reviewed it last week. Pilot Tv - podcast keeps me up-to date with everything in tv world and saves me trawling through terrible TV

I have a 3 year old and a small business so I tend watch what I can in between which means I watch things in 10 minute chunks.

Currently watching Dragon Ball Super (which I only just discovered is on iPlayer) and Fight The Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World.

Would highly highly recommended the hip hop documentary, fascinating tv. As for Dragoon Ball Super, I wouldn’t recommend it as it’s stupid and ridiculous and I’m fairly sure most people wouldn’t like it unless you enjoy none funny comedy, annoying characters, drawn out fight scenes and endless scenes of people screaming to power up.  It’s just awful. However, for someone who’s been a fan since the original Dragon Ball is fvcking brilliant and I’m loving every shitty second. 

• Like 1