Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

I wasn't impressed with the Happy Valley finale to be honest, too many plot holes and side characters and plots that were just ignored and brushed aside.

Still top tier acting from Sarah Lancashire and James Norton.

14 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I wasn't impressed with the Happy Valley finale to be honest, too many plot holes and side characters and plots that were just ignored and brushed aside.

Still top tier acting from Sarah Lancashire and James Norton.

What were the plot holes or the things that got ignored?

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Happy Valley was a bit of an anti climax. 

I've enjoyed it overall but it's not worth the hype.

Never watched Happy Valley. Maybe I've missed out but not inclined to catch up. I am aware of the ending anyway. Something contrary about me don't watch to join the crowd. 

That season of happy valley was shit imo. Too many random stories going on which individually didn’t get anywhere near enough focus. The whole drug thing/bully husband.

In other news I have just watched episode 4 of the last of us and wow that was stunning. 

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Fawlty Towers returning ?

Certainly won’t feel like the same coming back .

Have to be toned down somewhat in terms of what is said and the acts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64563839

It won't work, comedy programmes like this are not allowed these days through fear of offending someone.

• Like 1

Love good old traditional sitcoms, 60's to the early mid 90's was a golden period for great comedies. Post 90's comedy really went down, the PC brigade took charge and writers seem very restrictive what we can right now... too many doo gooders with no sense of humour. It's strange how comedy shows like the Inbetweeners or even Benidorm funny at times yes, but the language used is offensive hence what's on so late on tele understand by then you've got some sitcom's with less bad language more family friendly that is banned for being shown because there's joke or character about someone with speech impediment. 

Rising Damp my example a few racist jokes but then again Don Warrington's character always got the last laugh and also the Rigsby was never meant to be a good guy anyway he always meant to be a old fashioned guy who didn't really care for modern society or times of change. You look back now you could say it's good to shows like that to highlight how wrong people like Rigsby were there's no point in trying to hide things like this didn't happen.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Fawlty Towers returning ?

I'm fearful, and hopeful. Depends what they do with Basil. Written and played right. there's definitely a story to be told. It needn't tarnish the Fawlty Towers reputation. Let's not forget, Basil was not meant to be a likeable character. The scope for where he could go, and what he could do, in the current climate is immense. Rich soil for satire. It could be spectacular - good or bad.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

I'm guessing he'll be an ageing racist, shaking his fist at this new fangled PC, woke world. 

You'd have thought.... but then there's mileage even in that, as I say, if played right. I don't know. The fearful part of me hopes it won't simply be a platform, the hopeful side of me wants talented writers to do something more nuanced with that character. Some comedians have been saying satire is dead in the current age, well here is an opportunity to rewire it.  There's a tightrope to be walked perhaps.... or it could just play to a subset of the nation. But then, so did Fawlty Towers. 

Tbh, I'm not sure if it's a mistake and if the legacy should be left intact.

5 minutes ago, taupe said:

You'd have thought.... but then there's mileage even in that, as I say, if played right. I don't know. The fearful part of me hopes it won't simply be a platform, the hopeful side of me wants talented writers to do something more nuanced with that character. Some comedians have been saying satire is dead in the current age, well here is an opportunity to rewire it.  There's a tightrope to be walked perhaps.... or it could just play to a subset of the nation. But then, so did Fawlty Towers. 

Tbh, I'm not sure if it's a mistake and if the legacy should be left intact.

Definitely a mistake, to succeed it will need to be faithful to the original feel of Fawlty Towers whilst also being modern and relevant today. 

Unless they go completely left field and episode 1 is the hotel gets turned into an asylum hotel by the government and Basil and co have to deal with an influx of migrants.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Love good old traditional sitcoms, 60's to the early mid 90's was a golden period for great comedies. Post 90's comedy really went down, the PC brigade took charge and writers seem very restrictive what we can right now... too many doo gooders with no sense of humour. It's strange how comedy shows like the Inbetweeners or even Benidorm funny at times yes, but the language used is offensive hence what's on so late on tele understand by then you've got some sitcom's with less bad language more family friendly that is banned for being shown because there's joke or character about someone with speech impediment. 

Rising Damp my example a few racist jokes but then again Don Warrington's character always got the last laugh and also the Rigsby was never meant to be a good guy anyway he always meant to be a old fashioned guy who didn't really care for modern society or times of change. You look back now you could say it's good to shows like that to highlight how wrong people like Rigsby were there's no point in trying to hide things like this didn't happen.

Once I'd worked out your grammar, I tend to agree with you.