Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

3 hours ago, taupe said:

I'm fearful, and hopeful. Depends what they do with Basil. Written and played right. there's definitely a story to be told. It needn't tarnish the Fawlty Towers reputation. Let's not forget, Basil was not meant to be a likeable character. The scope for where he could go, and what he could do, in the current climate is immense. Rich soil for satire. It could be spectacular - good or bad.     

Also depends on who is the new Basil, assuming Cleese isn't.

Watching it back these days is a bit like so many other sitcoms from the "Golden Era". Steptoe and Son, Please Sir, for example. Not overtly racist, but pointing out in a comedic way, the differences in society, race and class.

As far as I recall, nobody in the series Love Thy Neighbour, ever called someone of colour the N word but referred to a similar term. And the black character referred to white ethnics as "Snowflakes" or "Honkies". I never felt offended. I just laughed, because it was mutually amusing but at the same time made me aware of how the way we interacted. 

Anyway, I'm not racist or any kind of 'phobic. I enjoy satire, in whatever form it comes in. And Faulty Towers is basically satirical in that it shines a light on the ridiculousness of class, racism (if you like) and ignorance and pomposity of some British people from a certain era.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parafox said:

Also depends on who is the new Basil, assuming Cleese isn't.

Watching it back these days is a bit like so many other sitcoms from the "Golden Era". Steptoe and Son, Please Sir, for example. Not overtly racist, but pointing out in a comedic way, the differences in society, race and class.

As far as I recall, nobody in the series Love Thy Neighbour, ever called someone of colour the N word but referred to a similar term. And the black character referred to white ethnics as "Snowflakes" or "Honkies". I never felt offended. I just laughed, because it was mutually amusing but at the same time made me aware of how the way we interacted. 

Anyway, I'm not racist or any kind of 'phobic. I enjoy satire, in whatever form it comes in. And Faulty Towers is basically satirical in that it shines a light on the ridiculousness of class, racism (if you like) and ignorance and pomposity of some British people from a certain era.

The Major was the worst character of Fawlty Towers especially in the Germans episode. You wouldn't be able to write any of that entire episode now. 

Not only all the anti-German stuff but the Major dropping the N and W words when talking about the cricket match he went to against India. 

Edited by The Bear

On 04/02/2023 at 19:28, Tommy Fresh said:

Was anyone aware season 2 of Your Honor was out today on Paramount+? Or even close to being released? Haven't seen it advertised at all, also anyone got any idea why this season isn't on Sky Atlantic? 

No. And sky only offer me a trailer for series 2. Hopefully, it'll be coming soon on Atlantic. 

Star Wars Bad Batch season 2, ep.7 and 8 were pretty good, nice to see Rex again after having seen Cody return a few episodes ago.

Also a bit more news, not much but a tad about DS s3 plus another trailer.

Edited by ithuriel

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Some potential plot and storylines ?!

8AF4CD6C-908F-41F9-BD3A-B605BA36C53D.jpeg

I'm wondering if he will still have his edge and creativity after all these years, also will he have someone there telling him what he can't do, it is a very Mary Whitehouse world these days.:colder:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

I'm wondering if he will still have his edge and creativity after all these years, also will he have someone there telling him what he can't do, it is a very Mary Whitehouse world these days.:colder:

Sadly, many of the classic comedies that come back are a poor representation of their original brilliance. 

The attempt at "Still Open All Hours" is a classic example. As Is "Rock and Chips" albeit that was a prequel to "Only Fools And Horses". There was a sequel called "Green Green Grass" but it got binned.

I can't think of any resurrected comedy series that has been any good. Everyone has moved on since the best days.

On 09/02/2023 at 02:36, The Bear said:

The Major was the worst character of Fawlty Towers especially in the Germans episode. You wouldn't be able to write any of that entire episode now. 

Not only all the anti-German stuff but the Major dropping the N and W words when talking about the cricket match he went to against India. 

And FIFTY years on, there are still many majors out there. thankfully a lot less than there were back then but you'd have hoped that 'ignorant racism' would have died out over half a century ........

I'm struggling a bit with The Last of Us. Watched the first two episodes but can't decide if to stick with it.

I was surprised how quickly it went from the initial outbreak straight to modern day without any proper explanation of what happened. 

It was as if everyone in a city suddenly got infected at exactly the same time and then all turned into Zombies within seconds, which seemed a bit far fetched even for me.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm struggling a bit with The Last of Us. Watched the first two episodes but can't decide if to stick with it.

I was surprised how quickly it went from the initial outbreak straight to modern day without any proper explanation of what happened. 

It was as if everyone in a city suddenly got infected at exactly the same time and then all turned into Zombies within seconds, which seemed a bit far fetched even for me.

There's enough hints dropped about how that happened imo, viz. infected flour that then ended up in products all over the world. On the day it happens in the first episode, there's also a lot of hints even in the morning that something bad is already happening. Given the method of transmission, it really wouldn't take long to spread exponentially from a few starting hotspots. The Indonesian expert figured that right away too, such is why she went straight for the blow em to kingdom come solution - such spread would be almost unstoppable from a pretty early point.

FWIW the game doesn't even really give that explanation, more focusing on the human story.

I'd ask you to stick with it, it isn't as far fetched as it might seem and also the plot is really about to kick into high gear.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just watch episode 3, probably the best 90 min of TV so far this year. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Interesting...

This will be brilliant, I have no doubts about it.  I'm sure I read somewhere that if it does well, and the reception is positive, there may be a final movie on the cards.

Interesting fact which this critic almost refers to - the actress who plays Vadic is the actor's daughter who plays Chang in ST VI.  To be or not to be... one of my favourite ST movies.

As for Picard in general, I don't understand the criticism.  By and large the first two seasons were absolutely fine.  Strange New Worlds was better for sure but it isn't half as bad as some make out.  It sits between SNW and Discovery for me.

9 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Malcolm in the Middle is criminally underrated, been rewatching random episodes and it's superb, probably better watching now than back in the day.

I've always found it to be a typical noughties show. Not particularly funny or very interesting tbh. 

The Goldbergs which is on today is much better by comparison. 

Edited by The Bear

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I've always found it to be a typical noughties show. Not particularly funny or very interesting tbh. 

I like The Goldbergs, even if just for the episode where he edits the video on his basketball tape. But got to disagree, it's not a patch on Malcolm in the Middle.

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Pretty controversial opinion, I think malcolm in the middle was brilliant TV. Can't say I've watched anything of a similar ilk recently that holds a candle to it. 

• Like 1