Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The Last of Us was superb.

I must say I do have an issue with the pacing of the season (some superfluous stuff included, other stuff went though too fast) but it gets almost everything else right. And this latest episode included all the best bits that needed to be in there.

Best episode so far, I'm assuming the finale is going to be feature length.

I've read some of the comments on here and whilst I do get that is a human drama and not a zombie slasher horror, they have seriously underplayed the threat of the infected. This was a fantastic episode but another episode with no infected. We've only seen one infected since Kansas city and that was in a flashback. There doesn't have to be big set pieces all the time but apart from an episode called the infected and the end of Kansas City Ellie and Joel haven't encountered a single infected. There's just not that constant feeling of threat that you felt in the game. 

It doesn't have to be big, but for example in today's episode Ellie could have spotted one whilst out hunting that sent her in a different direction, or when she was in the horse it could have been an infected which made the horse rear up causing her to fall off. Last episode they could have spotted a large group of infected that forced them towards the "lake of death" and Tommy. Just those little reminders that they are there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Well, there are literally hundreds of series and movies but some of my fave series are Darker than Black, Madoka Magica which is written by the same guy that wrote Fate Zero, it's a bit er for the first few episodes which almost had me drop it but then it started to get interesting, by ep.7 I just watched right through to the finale it was that good.

Another superbly done Anime was Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, about 64 episodes with a story that starts small with twists, turns and ends with THE DAY, an epic battle that literally rips open ah spoilers :)

If you want a damned fine really stupid feel good anime that keeps one upping itself, Gurren Lagann is amazing, it's dumb bravado but its life affirming too, this video basically is the anime story without spoiling :)   

Thanks for that, Full Metal i watched after a recommendation, really good. Ill check the others out. Thanks

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

Best episode so far, I'm assuming the finale is going to be feature length.

I've read some of the comments on here and whilst I do get that is a human drama and not a zombie slasher horror, they have seriously underplayed the threat of the infected. This was a fantastic episode but another episode with no infected. We've only seen one infected since Kansas city and that was in a flashback. There doesn't have to be big set pieces all the time but apart from an episode called the infected and the end of Kansas City Ellie and Joel haven't encountered a single infected. There's just not that constant feeling of threat that you felt in the game. 

It doesn't have to be big, but for example in today's episode Ellie could have spotted one whilst out hunting that sent her in a different direction, or when she was in the horse it could have been an infected which made the horse rear up causing her to fall off. Last episode they could have spotted a large group of infected that forced them towards the "lake of death" and Tommy. Just those little reminders that they are there.

Pretty sure the runtimes came out and the last episode is 1 of the shorter episodes 

2 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

I thought the TLOU episode was a bit rushed myself, having that battle with the infected, just about to gain the his trust before the reveal of what he actually is. 

Agree about the lack of infected and it doesn't have to be a big encounter like the game, maybe just one stray infected, David saves Ellie. Then it also gives the "I'm infected... and now so are you!" bit more credibility if they'd encountered an infected together recently. 

However I didn't think it felt rushed, it just feels an odd decision to not have Ellie and Joel encounter any infected outside of a couple of clickers in EP 2 and a horde in EP 5.

Edited by Captain...

44 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Pretty sure the runtimes came out and the last episode is 1 of the shorter episodes 

You're right, 43 minutes left, I am worried they are going to try and do something clever, subvert expectations and either not finish the story or massively change it. You could see from TLOU 2 they like to challenge their fan base with some questionable decisions.

Not necessarily proud of this but I’ve just finished Breaking Bad. That last series is really good isn’t it, although I felt the two penultimate episodes were better than the last, in my opinion. 

Will now be starting Better Call Saul which people have told me is even better! 

• Like 1

Anyone else struggle with British TV dramas?

When you watch some of the stuff on HBO, it’s hard for things like Happy Valley or Line of Duty to stand up to shows with that level of budget. Peaky Blinders is the only thing that has the same level of cinematography imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

BCS is good, but it’s not as good as BB IMO.

I thought the first two series of BCS were far too slow and i nearly gave up on it. The last season was excellent though tbf so glad I stuck with it. 

Ive seen all of BB four times now but BCS only once which probably says something.

Hope you’re not disappointed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

BCS is good, but it’s not as good as BB IMO.

I thought the first two series of BCS were far too slow and i nearly gave up on it. The last season was excellent though tbf so glad I stuck with it. 

Ive seen all of BB four times now but BCS only once which probably says something.

Hope you’re not disappointed.

Was fibbing actually I’m going to watch El Camino first because I want to find out what happened to Jessie in the compound. 

Saul was probably my favourite character in the whole thing so I’m just excited I get to see Bob Odenkirk play the character some more. Breaking Bad was slow for a series and a half IMO so I’ll make sure I stick with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Not necessarily proud of this but I’ve just finished Breaking Bad. That last series is really good isn’t it, although I felt the two penultimate episodes were better than the last, in my opinion. 

I think Ozymandias is the perfect episode of a television show and, in many ways, I see it as the Breaking Bad finale. While I immensely enjoyed the last two episodes and the actual finale, Ozymandias completely blew me away. 

Hope you enjoy BCS :) It's all subjective of course but I think recency bias tends to kick in when people claim it's better than BB. It's fantastic in its own right, but I felt the first 2 seasons were a bit of a long watch. Once it finds its feet in season 3, it's excellent and it really introduces some amazing characters. Excited to hear what you think.

Edited by VinceNoir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VinceNoir said:

I think Ozymandias is the perfect episode of a television show. In many ways, I see it as the Breaking Bad fianle. While I immensely enjoyed the last two episodes and the actual finale, Ozymandias completely blew me away.

Agreed. Best episode of the entire programme. Unbelievably good. 

52 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone else struggle with British TV dramas?

When you watch some of the stuff on HBO, it’s hard for things like Happy Valley or Line of Duty to stand up to shows with that level of budget. Peaky Blinders is the only thing that has the same level of cinematography imo. 

I'd argue that is what makes some of them so good, Happy Valley doesn't need that level of cinematography to be engaging, just seriously good writing and acting. Peaky Blinders had far too much focus on style over substance towards the end in my opinion. 

Edited by Nobbyburton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VinceNoir said:

I think Ozymandias is the perfect episode of a television show and, in many ways, I see it as the Breaking Bad finale. While I immensely enjoyed the last two episodes and the actual finale, Ozymandias completely blew me away. 

Hope you enjoy BCS :) It's all subjective of course but I think recency bias tends to kick in when people claim it's better than BB. It's fantastic in its own right, but I felt the first 2 seasons were a bit of a long watch. Once it finds its feet in season 3, it's excellent and it really introduces some amazing characters. Excited to hear what you think.

Personally Breaking Bad is better than BCS but the latters last couple of seasons  are right up there with the best of Breaking Bad.

Regarding TLOU. The writers did say that they couldn't introduce anything regarding the Spores as it was too difficult to replicate it on the tv. I believe if they could have got the spores into the series we would have seen a few more infected interactions. I do agree that there hasn't been enough infected as a whole but i have still really enjoyed the series. Bella was brilliant in the last episode.

She could really come into her own in season 2. 

2 hours ago, Nobbyburton said:

I'd argue that is what makes some of them so good, Happy Valley doesn't need that level of cinematography to be engaging, just seriously good writing and acting. Peaky Blinders had far too much focus on style over substance towards the end in my opinion. 

That’s fair.

Personally, I found that Happy Valley got a bit silly but Peaky Blinders certainly did too. 

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Regarding TLOU. The writers did say that they couldn't introduce anything regarding the Spores as it was too difficult to replicate it on the tv. I believe if they could have got the spores into the series we would have seen a few more infected interactions. I do agree that there hasn't been enough infected as a whole but i have still really enjoyed the series. Bella was brilliant in the last episode.

She could really come into her own in season 2. 

It will be interesting how they approach season 2, those that have played the game will know what I'm talking about. When you've already invested money and time into a game you're not going to just switch it off, TV audiences are less forgiving. There are certain elements of part 2 that could result in viewers switching off. I had issues with a number of the story beats, character arks and decision making in the game but the game play and exploration elements kept me interested. I don't think I'd actually want to watch TLOU part 2.

They might be better off setting season 2 in the gap between 1 and 2. Develop the world a bit more, introduce Abby and then maybe end series 2 with the event that starts part 2.

Edited by Captain...

14 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It will be interesting how they approach season 2, those that have played the game will know what I'm talking about. When you've already invested money and time into a game you're not going to just switch it off, TV audiences are less forgiving. There are certain elements of part 2 that could result in viewers switching off. I had issues with a number of the story beats, character arks and decision making in the game but the game play and exploration elements kept me interested. I don't think I'd actually want to watch TLOU part 2.

Also has to take into account that they plan on splitting it over multiple seasons. So it will come down to just how much they want to milk it too. 

7 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks for that, Full Metal i watched after a recommendation, really good. Ill check the others out. Thanks

Forgot to mention Gurren Lagann is a mecha but its unlike any other mecha out there and at one point the heroes are fighting the villains using galaxies as shuriken, it also has a song that mixes rap and opera, I really do not like rap but it fits. As does its battle theme...and like a lot of anime, do not get too attached to characters because even being a main character does not mean you cant die.