Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Loved the films and the books, please don’t mess this up

Loved the books, hated the films (except for 3 and 4). I hope this will be good. As long as David Yates is absolutely nowhere near it.

I listened to the Jim Dale audiobook during lockdown and there is so much more detail in the books. I’m guessing this will be a 10 episode 7 series deal.

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Loved the books, hated the films (except for 3 and 4). I hope this will be good. As long as David Yates is absolutely nowhere near it.

I listened to the Jim Dale audiobook during lockdown and there is so much more detail in the books. I’m guessing this will be a 10 episode 7 series deal.

Same. I always felt the films fell short of capturing the more eccentric and creepy elements of the universe. Given Harry Potter is quite unique in having a very broad age range of fans, the movies I found to be too childish. Seems like a good opportunity to give the material a more thorough screen treatment. The recent Dark Materials is a perfect example of a TV series doing justice to material that simply can't be condensed into a film. Let's also hope Rowling continues to insist on British cast so it's butchered by Americanisms. 

P.S Heathen for not listening to the Fry versions. 

4 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Same. I always felt the films fell short of capturing the more eccentric and creepy elements of the universe. Given Harry Potter is quite unique in having a very broad age range of fans, the movies I found to be too childish. Seems like a good opportunity to give the material a more thorough screen treatment. The recent Dark Materials is a perfect example of a TV series doing justice to material that simply can't be condensed into a film. Let's also hope Rowling continues to insist on British cast so it's butchered by Americanisms. 

Azkaban was the first one to really nail the feel of the world and the only one to have a world class director too. Goblet was great too but Yates dropped a bollock with Phoenix. 

4 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

P.S Heathen for not listening to the Fry versions. 

Dale's is better. :P

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Loved the films and the books, please don’t mess this up

Currently reading the books with my daughter after originally reading them when they came out. The amount of content not included in the films is huge, so I'm hoping for a season per book approach to include it all. 

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly one of the stupidest decisions of all time.

Maybe I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't quite realise how old I am, I don't know, but surely this is completely and totally unnecessary? The films are still extremely popular, they haven't aged badly, they aren't dated, they're still pretty new in most people's consciousness, EVERYBODY knows the story, it's absolutely pointless.

Show a bit of bollocks, go out and back another story and try something new for christ sakes. At very least, tell a different story in the "Wizarding World."

I have to agree, the last film only came out 12 years ago, no need to completely re-do it yet

Although they ended up getting it wrong in the end with the Fantastic Beasts films there is still so much more in the “Wizarding World” they could do

Different schools, the founders, the marauders, Order of the Phoenix during the war etc.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

still so much more in the “Wizarding World” they could do

Different schools, the founders, the marauders, Order of the Phoenix during the war etc.

Better yet, though, go out and use some other IP entirely. One that wasn't written with cringeworthy justifications for slavery, blatant anti-Semitism and hideously lazy morality (and that's without going anywhere near the most current headline-grabbing problems with JK Rowling's belief system.)

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly one of the stupidest decisions of all time.

Maybe I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't quite realise how old I am, I don't know, but surely this is completely and totally unnecessary? The films are still extremely popular, they haven't aged badly, they aren't dated, they're still pretty new in most people's consciousness, EVERYBODY knows the story, it's absolutely pointless.

Show a bit of bollocks, go out and back another story and try something new for christ sakes. At very least, tell a different story in the "Wizarding World."

This is why:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/02/24/warner-bros-discovery-q4-2022-earnings

The TV show is at least a 10-15 year commitment and will bring in far more than it will cost, increasing visitors to Leavesden studios and Wizarding World parks. And like Game of Thrones, will create a whole host of new locations for fans to visit. Fans will lap up the new show especially if it's destinctive from the film series and uses sub plots and characters ignored by the books.

Completely agree about new making something new though. 

• Like 1

HP is a cash cow with countless millions ready to spend no matter what and will be for some time, so I can see why they've done this.

It doesn't stop it being a merely fair to middling work of fiction in terms of quality though and not a patch on, say, Discworld.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

HP is a cash cow with countless millions ready to spend no matter what and will be for some time, so I can see why they've done this.

It doesn't stop it being a merely fair to middling work of fiction in terms of quality though and not a patch on, say, Discworld.

I put 3 Terry Pratchett Discworld books out in the shop today. Bought within half an hour. People definitely seek them out.

• Like 1

The final season of 'Barry' starts this Sunday for anyone who has been watching.

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned much in this thread, if at all. 

Highly recommended dark comedy. 

NoHo Hank is the greatest Chechen mafia boss  & I hope he gets his happy ending

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I do feel this is one big blackmail to both Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson who both very reluctant to do a ninth film. Some how don't think this will pan out, basically repeat a story that was only made, less than nine years ago. It'll have the same ending as each film... nothing changes. Same outcomes... all there doing is telling the same story with different director and different actors. Fans will prevent this from I think, not one person I've heard say "I can't wait"

My guess we will see TV series alright but I will be of the 8th book, but without Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. Like the stage play a whole new cast, with older actors. Perhaps Dan Stevens as an older Harry or summit. 

33 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I do feel this is one big blackmail to both Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson who both very reluctant to do a ninth film. Some how don't think this will pan out, basically repeat a story that was only made, less than nine years ago. It'll have the same ending as each film... nothing changes. Same outcomes... all there doing is telling the same story with different director and different actors. Fans will prevent this from I think, not one person I've heard say "I can't wait"

My guess we will see TV series alright but I will be of the 8th book, but without Dan Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. Like the stage play a whole new cast, with older actors. Perhaps Dan Stevens as an older Harry or summit. 

What are you on about?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can't make up my mind about BEEF on Netflix.

Thought the first 4 episodes were great, then it all went a bit weird for me.

Two episodes left to watch and intrigued to see how it ends. 

It's definitely different!

I've never watched an episode of Succession yet I've been binge watching clips of it on youtube!

Anyone else do that to series you've not watched yet?

Edited by Tuna