Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 09/10/2023 at 11:48, Daggers said:

Got BB on as I'm working - strong vibes of Nozin' Around going on by having two presenters constantly trying to talk over each other.

But it still retains its camp glory and is clearly aimed at people like Manbag @Raj. Well done ITV, I say.

Fantastic, loved The Young Ones 

On 09/10/2023 at 11:48, Daggers said:

Got BB on as I'm working - strong vibes of Nozin' Around going on by having two presenters constantly trying to talk over each other.

But it still retains its camp glory and is clearly aimed at people like Manbag @Raj. Well done ITV, I say.

I'm 16 right, I can join the army, the air force, and the navy . Yet I can't drink in pubs.... 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 13:47, SecretPro said:

Steve Coogan is unreal in the Reckoning. Got Saville down to an absolute tee.

The Long Shadow is very good. I liked the way they focused on telling the victims' stories rather on Sutcliffe, and avoided deploying too many of the usual cheap tricks to build dramatic tension, etc. As other have said, the incompetence of the police was quite extraordinary - Oldfield's total conviction that the killer was a Geordie based on the hoax tape has to go down as one of the most serious errors of judgment in British policing history (and it would be up against some pretty stiff competition).

I'm not sure if I can face The Reckoning. I'm sure Coogan does an amazing job, but I find Savile's entire persona so vile that I think I'd struggle to get through it. 

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

The Long Shadow is very good. I liked the way they focused on telling the victims' stories rather on Sutcliffe, and avoided deploying too many of the usual cheap tricks to build dramatic tension, etc. As other have said, the incompetence of the police was quite extraordinary - Oldfield's total conviction that the killer was a Geordie based on the hoax tape has to go down as one of the most serious errors of judgment in British policing history (and it would be up against some pretty stiff competition).

I'm not sure if I can face The Reckoning. I'm sure Coogan does an amazing job, but I find Savile's entire persona so vile that I think I'd struggle to get through it

I will say it's very uncomfortable at times, proper heebiejeebies, but that's also kind of what makes it so good/harrowing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm not sure if I can face The Reckoning. I'm sure Coogan does an amazing job, but I find Savile's entire persona so vile that I think I'd struggle to get through it. 

6 hours ago, SecretPro said:

I will say it's very uncomfortable at times, proper heebiejeebies, but that's also kind of what makes it so good/harrowing.

Episode 2 and we're still not at the "Jim'll Fix It" period.

It is a difficult watch but it gives a great insight into the man. I believe he was a psychopath with almost an Oedipus complex. Watching the scenes where he interacts with young girls is so creepy and will make your skin crawl.

What hasn't come to light is what happened to his father and whether that is significant.

What makes it even more uncomfortable is that the general public didn't realise what was happening, and revered him but those  in his circle certainly had their suspicions and yet he managed to deflect these away from him.

I hesitate to say he was clever but certainly he was an expert manipulator.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 08:10, LanguedocFox said:

Finished watching The Woman in the Wall on BBC. Really harrowing, especially as it’s based on things that really happened, and the acting is of a very high standard. Some minor criticisms, but generally highly recommended.

11 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

11 hours ago, SecretPro said:

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

It is a difficult watch but it gives a great insight into the man. I believe he was a psychopath with almost an Oedipus complex. Watching the scenes where he interacts with young girls is so creepy and will make your skin crawl.

What hasn't come to light is what happened to his father and whether that is significant.

What makes it even more uncomfortable is that the general public didn't realise what was happening, and revered him but those  in his circle certainly had their suspicions and yet he managed to deflect these away from him.

Just finished The Woman in the Wall and just starting The Reckoning. The Long Shadow will probably be after that. 

Agree with all of the above. Both very uncomfortable viewing but very well done. I think, unlike usual real life crime dramas, the focus on the victims is what makes these so uncomfortable. 

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

For anyone that likes Ghost stories, Uncanny starts on BBC tonight.

The podcast is excellent and I went to the live show on Wednesday which was also very good. It shows a very balanced view and tries to explain these logically. Should be decent.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parafox said:

All four episodes are on BBC iPlayer. Having watched them all, I agree that he had an Oedipus complex, maybe brought on by a combination of an absent father and an inability to form any sort of meaningful relationship with anyone of the opposite sex. He also seemed to have an excellent way with words and could make almost everyone believe his lies. The series itself included some scenes which were only included for dramatic purposes, so I found myself wondering which ones were based on reality and which were made up. His death came at the right time for him, as the truth about his darker side was clearly going to emerge sooner or later. Steve Coogan's acting was brilliant, with every Savile mannerism portrayed perfectly.    

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, String fellow said:

All four episodes are on BBC iPlayer. Having watched them all, I agree that he had an Oedipus complex, maybe brought on by a combination of an absent father and an inability to form any sort of meaningful relationship with anyone of the opposite sex. He also seemed to have an excellent way with words and could make almost everyone believe his lies. The series itself included some scenes which were only included for dramatic purposes, so I found myself wondering which ones were based on reality and which were made up. His death came at the right time for him, as the truth about his darker side was clearly going to emerge sooner or later. Steve Coogan's acting was brilliant, with every Savile mannerism portrayed perfectly.    

The Coogan casting was odd.

Couldn’t get over, “Partridge at a fancy dress party”

Watched "Interview With A Vampire" last night. Series on BBC.

Surprisingly dull even though the sets were very good, but I imagine there was a lot of CGI involved.

Maybe there had to be a lengthy period of establishing the characters, but it never really go going for me.

Anyone watching Strictly?

It would be bearable if it wasn't for the false, sycophantic yelling and cheering from the audience.

And without Tess Daley.

And Claudia willy pullerman.

And the judges.

And the orchestra.

And the "celebrities".

Better without everything, really.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It would be bearable if it wasn't for the false, sycophantic yelling and cheering from the audience.

And without Cat Deeley.

And Claudia willy pullerman.

And the judges.

And the orchestra.

And the "celebrities".

Better without everything, really.

Now this is one programme that pretty much has me turning off anything to do with the bbc including the radio stations during the period it is aired as it is all they damn well talk about. I know lots like it, but I personally can’t stand it. And I can remember when it was Come dancing back in the old days with Eric (Diesel) Morley and Peggy Spencer. Christ I’m old….

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

You say false and I assume it is all indeed, 'canned'.

I saw a preview for Graham Norton Show a while ago and he was standing with his back to the audience whilst telling the viewer who his guest were.

After he finished, there was raucous applause with plenty of yelling and whoo whoooing. However, you could see the audience merely just clapping  behind him.