Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

Have been watching 'Mr Bates vs The Post Office' on ITV. Based on actual lives of sub-postmasters/mistresses it brought to the public's attention the appalling way individuals have been treated by the Post Office who treated 700 as criminals, taking them to court and prosecuting them when they new the 'Horizon' system was flawed.

It has been an absolutely staggering miscarriage of justice which is still ongoing.

Fortunately, my wife who was a sub-postmistress from 1992-2006 did not get embroiled with this scandal. There but for the grace of God it could have been so different.

Innocent people have committed suicide, lost their homes and life savings and been despised by their local communities whereas senior Post Office personnel have walked away with golden goodbyes, lucrative pensions, gongs and without a care in the world. It is been a bloody disgrace.

I was aware Post Office senior management were at fault via news coverage but this programme was so good at showing the impact on these poor innocent Sub-postmasters and their families. Staggering the incompetence and refusal to even consider the fault was with the computer system. As you say a disgrace that honours and pensions handed out to the truly guilty responsible 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Syrup said:

I mentioned Paula Vennells in the 'absolute cvnts' thread last night after watching the final episode of Mr Bates Vs The Post Office. How she got a CBE for 'services to the Post Office' whilst being in charge during the biggest miscarriage of justice the country has seen is baffling. 

Great TV show though, well acted and has brought the topic to the masses. Hopefully people power and an election year may finally bring a bit of closure to their plight (probably doubtful though)

Vennells and Van Der Bogerd. Not to be used as examples of females showing more empathy in business towards their employees etc

It's so weird reading about Paula Vennells.

In the early 90's I was a retail store manager an she was one of our senior directors. One time she came and did a visit to my store in Coventry and commented that we had the same colour hair :blink:

I hadn't heard her name mentioned for 30 years and now she crops up on this thread. Most bizarre.

11 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Have been watching 'Mr Bates vs The Post Office' on ITV. Based on actual lives of sub-postmasters/mistresses it brought to the public's attention the appalling way individuals have been treated by the Post Office who treated 700 as criminals, taking them to court and prosecuting them when they new the 'Horizon' system was flawed.

It has been an absolutely staggering miscarriage of justice which is still ongoing.

Fortunately, my wife who was a sub-postmistress from 1992-2006 did not get embroiled with this scandal. There but for the grace of God it could have been so different.

Innocent people have committed suicide, lost their homes and life savings and been despised by their local communities whereas senior Post Office personnel have walked away with golden goodbyes, lucrative pensions, gongs and without a care in the world. It is been a bloody disgrace.

Started watching this, 7 minutes in and already furious :angry:

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Yeah gone to bed every night this week absolutely livid. The Post Office senior management happily 

sending innocent people to jail, making people homeless and bankrupt whist covering up the truth 

about their faulty computer systems is truly staggering. 
Similar in many ways to Hillsborough in that when you take on the system you face years of trying 

to get to the truth and are up against some of the most corrupt immoral people on the planet.

These cvnts should be in jail, instead they’re given CBE’s.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2023 at 23:52, winteriscoming said:

Best thing I’ve watched for a while queen of comedy Caroline Aherne on bbc2. Some very funny scenes but also heartbreaking stuff as well. Tragic that she died so young. 

What a fantastic program, so terribly sad and the love her fellow actors had for her was testament to the person she was.

I had a few tears that’s for sure.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tuna said:

Now the Met. Police are to investigate at long last given the number of years this scandal has been going on.

However, I'm not holding my breath as it could well end up a "whitewash".

The fact is this greatest miscarriage of justice must be kept in the public eye until those responsible have been brought to book and dealt with appropriately.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2023 at 09:45, Sly said:

Anyone else watched Ricky Gervais Armageddon on Netflix yet? 

Pretty certain I’d rather contract aids by being stabbed in the eye with Gervais’ withered severed dick. 

Spastic” *audience laughs*

disabled” *audience laughs again

He’s just so edgy it’s incredible. He’s the edgiest. What a great comedian. 

• Like 1

Just now, Daggers said:

Pretty certain I’d rather contract aids by being stabbed in the eye with Gervais’ withered severed dick. 

Spastic” *audience laughs*

disabled” *audience laughs again

He’s just so edgy it’s incredible. He’s the edgiest. What a great comedian. 

Even the forum censors ‘m o n g’ - why the **** doesn’t Netflix?

On 03/01/2024 at 01:13, Tuna said:

Yeah thought Fool Me Once was ok, Michelle Keegan is very watchable.

I’ve enjoyed all of the Harlen Coben series’ on Netflix. Granted I’ve only watched the English language shows.

I think some more of his work is on Prime, so might have to dig into that.

11 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Watching s2 of Happy Valley. Frances (Shirley Henderson) plays the weird wacko extremely well. Preferring s2 to s1 at the moment 

Great, great writing 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 11:37, David Hankey said:

Started watching tonight, 2 episodes in. It's just shocking, beyond comprehension that the PO/Fujitsu failed to notice such a fundamental system flaw and persecuted the staff. 

Edited by FoyleFox

On 05/01/2024 at 23:19, Spiritwalker said:

Yeah gone to bed every night this week absolutely livid. The Post Office senior management happily 

sending innocent people to jail, making people homeless and bankrupt whist covering up the truth 

about their faulty computer systems is truly staggering. 
Similar in many ways to Hillsborough in that when you take on the system you face years of trying 

to get to the truth and are up against some of the most corrupt immoral people on the planet.

These cvnts should be in jail, instead they’re given CBE’s.

The game is rigged sadly.  Unless you have money and influence, although then you probably wouldn’t be battling it, you would be part of it. 

The Bishop of St Albans states we shouldn't judge the despicable former CEO of the Post Office, Vennells, on the basis of a ITV documentary.He, obviously, has never been a sub-postmaster!!

Thank God, no pun intended, for Alan Bates who has fought long and hard and the team who produced the programme for highlighting this the greatest travesty of justice in British history.

Who do these "people of the cloth" think they are? They are so out of kilter with what most of the nation thinks.

• Like 1

I’ve no problem with people like Kevin Sinfield getting an honour but too many get them for just doing their extremely well paid job and/or toadying up to whichever politician holds sway at a given time 

Honours, if still relevant should be rare and for truly outstanding acts 

And I’ve no idea how British Empire Medals now fit with the present common view of the Empire’s past and its exploitative consequences 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Vennells, by saying she will return her CBE, may think that is the end of the matter.

Let me tell her this is only the beginning and nowhere near the end of this appalling state of affairs.

She still won't accept there were problems with the 'Horizon' computerised system saying it was "robust and fit for purpose".

The fact of the matter is; it nor her were fit for purpose!!