Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

I watched the first 2 episodes of the acolyte and didn’t mind it at all tbh, better than last few Star Wars shows, but definitely agree that something which I consider pretty average to be one of the better instalments of recent Star Wars content shows just how far the franchise has fallen since Disney have butchered it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I've heard conflicting reports. The critics think it's pretty decent, certain elements of the fanbase are review bombing it because they can't handle a black lady in a lead Star Wars role, others have more legit criticism.

I don't care who leads the shows, how many POC or LGBTQ characters etc they have. What does annoy me is that they put so much effort into inclusion, and then offer up pitiful writing over and over again. It's getting to the point where I think they are actively more interested in having "girl boss" characters than a decent script. It somehow makes up for terrible writing because of durrr "girl power". Maybe that accounts for the high critic scores because, having watched it, I can't fathom the scoring one bit. 

Very few cared about Signorny Weaver fronting Aliens, or Carrie Fisher leading the rebellion because the films were interesting and had decent writing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't care who leads the shows, how many POC or LGBTQ characters etc they have. What does annoy me is that they put so much effort into inclusion, and then offer up pitiful writing over and over again. It's getting to the point where I think they are actively more interested in having "girl boss" characters than a decent script. It somehow makes up for terrible writing because of durrr "girl power". Maybe that accounts for the high critic scores because, having watched it, I can't fathom the scoring one bit. 

Very few cared about Signorny Weaver fronting Aliens, or Carrie Fisher leading the rebellion because the films were interesting and had decent writing. 

... and such criticism of the writing is perfectly legit criticism.

However I would hazard a guess that a fair bit of the review bombing falls under the former rather than the latter of my assumptions above and it needs to be talked about.

Edited by leicsmac

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

... and such criticism of the writing is perfectly legit criticism.

However I would hazard a guess that a fair bit of the review bombing falls under the former rather than the latter of my assumptions above and it needs to be talked about.

That's fair enough, so long as Lucas Film don't do the usual "anyone who didn't like it is a sexist racist". 

There have been so many characters in films and TV shows that haven't had much criticism. It always seems to be the most lazily written, contrived characters that get it in the neck. 

PS.. the actors should never get the brunt of it. Lucas Films are the ones signing off this rubbish. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's fair enough, so long as Lucas Film don't do the usual "anyone who didn't like it is a sexist racist". 

There have been so many characters in films and TV shows that haven't had much criticism. It always seems to be the most lazily written, contrived characters that get it in the neck. 

PS.. the actors should never get the brunt of it. Lucas Films are the ones signing off this rubbish. 

Yeah,  that's all fair too. I still remember the dogs abuse Kelly Marie Tran got through very little fault of her own, but then that also goes back as far as Jake Lloyd and likely further.

It's a difficult issue - you can't stifle legit criticism of characterisation and writing where needed, but then you have to also call out and sort out what is often blatant bigotry of many different types disguised as criticism. And that's often bloody difficult to parse between the two, for a lot of reasons.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2024 at 15:23, RonnieTodger said:

Shame the third series of The Test only has 3 episodes. Feels a bit rushed.

Given they won the World Cup, I thought they’d put some focus on that too. 

On 12/06/2024 at 15:29, RowlattsFox said:

The focus is on Test Cricket though so I guess that's why they left the rest out. 

It's weird because when I watched it I started disliking the English lol Shows how you can be influenced by the narrative. 

I loved it. The sign of a great TV show is when you're left wanting more - and I definitely wanted more.

Can't help but like that Aussie group overall (despite the fact they still thought they were the better team)

What a brilliant series the 2023 Ashes were. Had everything. 

• Like 2

Just now, Izzy said:

I loved it. The sign of a great TV show is when you're left wanting more - and I definitely wanted more.

Can't help but like that Aussie group overall (despite the fact they still thought they were the better team)

What a brilliant series the 2023 Ashes were. Had everything. 

Oh I agree, it was brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me about it, was them trying to hint that Stokes reviewing the drop catch was the same as the Bairstow incident. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

Oh I agree, it was brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me about it, was them trying to hint that Stokes reviewing the drop catch was the same as the Bairstow incident. 

Yeah, mainly Warner being a bell end. I liked the way Smith was defending Stokes though and then Cummings was questioning what side he was on :D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

30 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, mainly Warner being a bell end. I liked the way Smith was defending Stokes though and then Cummings was questioning what side he was on :D

Felt sorry for Smith after that, also said previously how well Marsh came across on this series, like Maxwell on the previous one. Felt a bit for Carey, similar to the Bancroft stuff although not as serious, definitely thrown under the bus

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Yes watched the first two episodes. The blackest of black comedies, with some absolutely gross scenes, I just love it! 

Yeah me too. Have loved every season so far. Homelander such a great villain. 

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I watched the first three. Always good but I'm noticing now that they seem to crowbar a weird sexual scene into every episode whether it needs it for the story or not. 

I’ve noticed that too.  If I want to put on my critic’s hat then the writing could be tighter, as one of the main characters has a homosexual relationship, when there was no hint of that in previous series.  I love it though and will catch up on the remaining available episode tonight. 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 15:41, Torquay Gunner said:

I’ve noticed that too.  If I want to put on my critic’s hat then the writing could be tighter, as one of the main characters has a homosexual relationship, when there was no hint of that in previous series.  I love it though and will catch up on the remaining available episode tonight. 

There really was blatant hints. 

56 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Watched the new episode of The Boys last night, Anthony Starr is brilliant

Really want to know what is going on with Butcher and his “worm” or whatever it is

Starr is great but Butcher is the best character in the show for me. Love his cockney humour.