Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

When Louis Theroux Met is on the iplayer...well worth a watch...time capsule TV

The infamous Jimmy Savile episode is a disturbing watch

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1

This was good, didn't really answer anything that wasn't already known but always a good laugh:

1717428652576-whokilled-wcw-s12000x3000.

------------------------

Have not heard good things about the new series of The Bear but I don't know if it's now just become a victim of its own success, expectation absolutely Trudy Roofe. 

There are a few new episodes of Worst Roommate Ever on Netflix - can never understand the silly clickbaity title as it's a genuine true crime series with some very interesting stories, well worth a watch.

Fox to launch free Netflix rival in UK
Home screen of the Tubi streaming platform.
IMAGE SOURCE,TUBI
Image caption,
The free, ad-supported service will compete with the likes of Netflix and Disney+

João da Silva & Michael Race

2 July 2024, 04:42 BST

Rupert Murdoch's Fox Corporation is entering the UK's highly competitive free, ad-supported video streaming market.

Tubi will compete with the likes of Netflix, Disney+, ITVX and Channel 4's streaming platform as well as the BBC iPlayer.

The platform has been quickly gaining market share in the US where, according to Fox, it has almost 80 million monthly active users.

In the UK, Tubi says it will offer more than 20,000 films and TV series, including content from Disney, Lionsgate, NBCUniversal and Sony Pictures Entertainment.

The platform will also include a selection of British, Indian and Nigerian content.

UK viewers will be able to access content on the Tubi webpage and via a smartphone app.

“Tubi has spent the last decade honing our approach to vast, free and fun streaming in North America, and we feel that now is the perfect time to bring that recipe to UK audiences,” Tubi chief executive Anjali Sud said.

Fox Corporation bought Tubi in 2020 for $440m (£348m) as the US media giant looked to attract younger audiences.

In recent years, streaming companies like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ have launched ad-supported services and raised subscription prices as they tried to boost revenues.

The moves came as they faced pressure to spend more money to grow their libraries of content as they try to attract more customers in an increasingly competitive market.

Netflix profits soar after password crackdown

Abi Watson, senior media analyst at Enders, told the BBC that while Tubi had "been very successful in the US" the UK was a "very different media environment".

"It is already well-catered for in the free online video space as the public service broadcasters have invested heavily," she added.

She said a service with "little or no unique content" such as Tubi could find it difficult to gain traction - although efforts by foreign operators to break into the UK's free video streaming market had "so far been half-hearted".

In March, Mr Murdoch's TalkTV network announced that it would stop broadcasting as a terrestrial television channel and became a strictly online service.

The network launched in 2022 but struggled to attract viewers on its linear platform.

Mr Murdoch had hoped the network would shake up the broadcasting establishment by offering an opinion-led alternative to established outlets.

The media tycoon played a pivotal role in the development of the UK's broadcasting industry by launching Sky in 1984.

Some commentators saw TalkTV as an attempt by Mr Murdoch to recreate his success with Sky.

Mr Murdoch's 21st Century Fox sold its 39% stake in Sky to NBCUniversal's owner Comcast in 2018 after losing a bidding battle for the network.

10 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Thursday’s episode of The boys, crying out loud, how many fetishes can you cram into one show!  🤢

As I said previously, they're trying way too hard to to ram that stuff in (fnarr). 

I'm not sure who asked for this?

Genuinely don't know what to think. I like Waititi and Clement but the former is very hit-and-miss at the minute. I'm not sure why they chose to get rid of the dwarf characters and the SFX just come across as bog standard modern FX whereas Gilliam's style always has a sort of chaotic practical charm to it.

Hmm.

Very late but onto Call My Agent. Didn’t realise the French could do comedy quite as good as this. 

I did bring to mind (excuse the pun) the criminally under seen Spiral which I am amazed that none of the streaming sites bough the rights to rescreen 

EDIT: ITVx have !

Edited by CosbehFox