Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

E3 2012 - 4th-7th June

Nintendo will do their usual trick of wowing me into thinking the Wii U isn't going to be horrible. All I ask this year is a date for Animal Crossing 3DS.

MS's conferences tend to bore me a bit, but waiting for that inevitable moment when Sony **** up always makes theirs worth watching.

I work for Nintendo and demonstrated one of the games at E3. Zombieu looks awesome for one.

I would say the WiiU is the beggining of the end, but having bought a 3DS I have to say it's already started.

End of what particularly?

Nintendo, console gaming, the world as we know it?

End of what particularly?

Nintendo, console gaming, the world as we know it?

It could well spell the end on Nintendo making consoles unfortunatly. The original Wii did well because it brought something to the table that hadnt really been done before. The new features of the Wii-U are already being done by microsoft and sony on their current consoles. Nintendo are playing catch up, and that can only go on for so long, think we all saw what happened to Sega, unfortunatly i can see nintendo going the same way.

It could well spell the end on Nintendo making consoles unfortunatly. The original Wii did well because it brought something to the table that hadnt really been done before. The new features of the Wii-U are already being done by microsoft and sony on their current consoles. Nintendo are playing catch up, and that can only go on for so long, think we all saw what happened to Sega, unfortunatly i can see nintendo going the same way.

I'll quote from some-one else on another site I go on:

I very much doubt anyone making this comparrison has any knowledge of the real underlying reasons the Dreamcast failed.

In short: The Megadrive/Genesis was a success, but the expensive add-ons (Sega CD and the 32X) were too pricey, never supported properly, never had stand out titles produced for them and often offered little if anything above what was already available on the Megadrive and SNES anyway. The most substantially different games available on those systems were the awful FMV games like Sewer Shark.

Secondly, on the back of these failures came the Saturn. The Saturn was difficult to develop for, was overpriced at launch compared to the PSOne, was rushed to launch and thus suffered from a lack of titles. What's more, the Saturn suffered from lacking a proper follow up to the hugely successful 16 bit Sonic Titles. The Saturn sunk.

The Dreamcast was basically the last throw of the dice for Sega. It was a follow up to three commercial failures which had drastically reduced the public's love for SEGA.

I'll quote from some-one else on another site I go on:

The Sega Saturn failed for two reasons, and neither of them were due to it's lack of sonic games. It failed because two other things bought a much better experience to the market, these two things were the Sony Playstation, and the N64. It failed because the graphics capabilitys and gameplay wise, the PS1 and the N64 offered a lot more for the money you were paying out.

Now cast your mind forward to now, we've got three big consoles coming out soon, the Wii-U, the Playstation 4, and the next XBox console. The Wii-U will show it's head first, but the feature it is touting to try and sell it's console is this "Play anywhere" idea, it actually dosnt bring anything new to the table apart from this controller/tablet pc that you use as well as the console. Now look at what is on the market now, the Vita offeres almost the exact same experience, and now microsoft are touting this new 'Smart Glass', which will also offer the same experience as the Wii-U.

The Wii sold well because it was cheap, and family friendly, anybody could play the games as long as they had arms, so yeh this console pretty much suceeded, then they bought out the 3DS, which hasnt exactly set the world on fire, and now the Wii-U, which brings nothing new to the table whatsoever, and has inferior graphics and processing capabilities, which is also going to have competition from two giants in the industry roughly a year after release. Is this all starting to sound familer yet?

The Sega Saturn failed for two reasons, and neither of them were due to it's lack of sonic games. It failed because two other things bought a much better experience to the market, these two things were the Sony Playstation, and the N64. It failed because the graphics capabilitys and gameplay wise, the PS1 and the N64 offered a lot more for the money you were paying out.

Now cast your mind forward to now, we've got three big consoles coming out soon, the Wii-U, the Playstation 4, and the next XBox console. The Wii-U will show it's head first, but the feature it is touting to try and sell it's console is this "Play anywhere" idea, it actually dosnt bring anything new to the table apart from this controller/tablet pc that you use as well as the console. Now look at what is on the market now, the Vita offeres almost the exact same experience, and now microsoft are touting this new 'Smart Glass', which will also offer the same experience as the Wii-U.

The Wii sold well because it was cheap, and family friendly, anybody could play the games as long as they had arms, so yeh this console pretty much suceeded, then they bought out the 3DS, which hasnt exactly set the world on fire, and now the Wii-U, which brings nothing new to the table whatsoever, and has inferior graphics and processing capabilities, which is also going to have competition from two giants in the industry roughly a year after release. Is this all starting to sound familer yet?

Are you on about compared to the existing consoles? I find that incredibly hard to believe, the PS3 and 360 hardware is so old and outdated. From what I have read on the internet the CPU and GPU are both significantly better. However, that is the minimum of what i would expect a new console to have when against old hardware like the 360 & PS3. No doubt the new home consoles for Microsoft and Sony will be at least as capable (most likely better) but the reason for the massive delay is that computer graphics haven't really updated a great deal over the past 5 years. So what is the point making new hardware when millions are happy playing it still.

It wasn't why they failed so much but it was SEGA's 3rd succesive failure. No company could recover from that.

Nintendo on the other hand has just come back off one of the most successful consoles ever! So even if the WiiU tanks. The company itself will not "Do a Sega".

Can't we just agree that once upon a time SEGA made darn good consoles AND video games?

I'm grateful enough to have grown up with the brand (although I was a Nintendo fanboy in my early years) and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my Dreamcast some ten years ago.

R.I.P. and now let's bury this fvcker for good, alright?

Watch Dogs and X-Com: Enemy Unknown the two titles I'm most looking forward to this and next year.

And maybe that new Metal Gear Solid for XBOX.

Yeah, I just found out about Watch Dogs just now and it looks amazing

Feel Ubisoft really fxxxed a few people over with AssAssMan 3, but if Watch Dogs lives up to its potential it could just surpass Creed

Have to wait a year, but Ive gone off console gaming bigtime recently, like being a hamster in a cage with a wheel; round and round. Might just enjoy a big one coming up for abit instead of rinsing anything

Archived