Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Trouble Setting Up PS3

My cousins bought my PS3 off me. He doesn't live locally but my parents dropped it off when visiting this weekend. The thing is, he can't get it to work! Obviously I've told him where the cable go etc, and he says the console is turned on etc. He thinks it may be due to the fact that his TV is dead old (yet his PS2 works on it fine) Is this likely? There's only one AV channel but he says he's getting nothing out of it.

Any ideas?

There maybe a chance that the display settings are wrong. If his TV is old my guess is it cannot support 1080p.

And if this is the case, plug it into a newer tv and change the settings to something the older tv can support; such as 1080i.

Possibly Fox92, but I though its only 1080p with the HDMI cable plugged in?

I don't know the answer to that. And I don't know what the maxium/minimum of a PS2's display aspect are/were, compared to a PS3.

If he has a newer television in his house (surely has one in the living room?) I'd just connect the PS3 to that tv and change the settings to lower than 1080i and then try it on the older TV. Happens all the time when I take my PS3 downstairs, on a different (newer) tv to my tv in my bedroom. Always have to change the settings back before I bring it back upstairs, if you get me.

I don't know the answer to that. And I don't know what the maxium/minimum of a PS2's display aspect are/were, compared to a PS3.

If he has a newer television in his house (surely has one in the living room?) I'd just connect the PS3 to that tv and change the settings to lower than 1080i and then try it on the older TV. Happens all the time when I take my PS3 downstairs, on a different (newer) tv to my tv in my bedroom. Always have to change the settings back before I bring it back upstairs, if you get me.

I know what you're saying. thats the only tv in the house though lol! cheers

I know what you're saying. thats the only tv in the house though lol! cheers

Ohh :/

Other option you could try is contacting Sony? Sure they will find a way on an older tv.

Do you not need a HDMI cable for the PS3? When I got mine it wouldn't work at first, so I had to get a HDMI cable, and as soon as that was plugged in, another option on the TV other than AV come up (HDMI 1), and it worked fine :dunno:

Do you not need a HDMI cable for the PS3? When I got mine it wouldn't work at first, so I had to get a HDMI cable, and as soon as that was plugged in, another option on the TV other than AV come up (HDMI 1), and it worked fine :dunno:

He has my HDMI cable with him but because his tele is that old there's no HDMI socket there for him to put it in

Keep holding the power button whilst powering up and the audio/visual settings will go back to their default.

He says all its doing is turning the ps3 on and off :angry:

how long do u keep holding it down for?

When the PS3 is in standby mode (red light) push and hold the power button until it beeps twice (around 5 seconds). That will bring you back to the standard AV cable audio/video output. Make sure you are on the correct TV channel or input though.

When the PS3 is in standby mode (red light) push and hold the power button until it beeps twice (around 5 seconds). That will bring you back to the standard AV cable audio/video output. Make sure you are on the correct TV channel or input though.

Which presumably should be AV1 (the only AV channel he has, and the same AV channel his ps2 worked on)

Fukin hate technology, you're talking to someone who's pretty thick with it, and I'm relaying the info to someone 70miles away who's even thicker!

ok thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived