Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kyle_Le_Don

Broadband

Im with Virgin Media and did have the 20mb fibre optic broadband with the netgear WGR614v9 router. It was great never had any problems at all with my laptop or xbox. Then they doubled the speeds for free (which was great and meant i could get the 60mb speed for the same price) however you have to have the new 'Super hub' for it too work. Since i switched to the 'Super hub' its been nothing but trouble and now I'm lucky to get 18mb.

I looked around the internet and it seems its the actual 'Superhub' that is the problem as the strength of the wireless on it is poor. After looking on the internet again you can turn the 'Superhub' into modem mode and connect a router to it. Could I get the full 60mb speed if I went back to using the netgear WGR614v9 router and putting the hub into modem mode?

I dont know much about this stuff and the stuff i do know is pretty basic, so if anyone can help that would be great!! Has anyone else has a similar problem/experience?

Cheers :thumbup:

Im with Virgin Media and did have the 20mb fibre optic broadband with the netgear WGR614v9 router. It was great never had any problems at all with my laptop or xbox. Then they doubled the speeds for free (which was great and meant i could get the 60mb speed for the same price) however you have to have the new 'Super hub' for it too work. Since i switched to the 'Super hub' its been nothing but trouble and now I'm lucky to get 18mb.

I looked around the internet and it seems its the actual 'Superhub' that is the problem as the strength of the wireless on it is poor. After looking on the internet again you can turn the 'Superhub' into modem mode and connect a router to it. Could I get the full 60mb speed if I went back to using the netgear WGR614v9 router and putting the hub into modem mode?

I dont know much about this stuff and the stuff i do know is pretty basic, so if anyone can help that would be great!! Has anyone else has a similar problem/experience?

Cheers :thumbup:

I had a similar problem mate.

Only bad thing about virgin is these pissing superhubs. It's really straight forward to do.

I'd talk you through it, but I'm useless haha ! My mate talked me through It on the phone, took less than 10 minutes.

Those homehubs they supply are useless, i had no end of trouble with losing signal with mine. I just replaced it with a netgear one and havnt had a single problem since

I've got a HomeHub and always thought that you had to use the one they gave you. Can I change it myself and just plug my phone-line into the new one and then into the pc?

How much are they for a reliable one, and are they called 'routers'?

I had a similar problem mate.

Only bad thing about virgin is these pissing superhubs. It's really straight forward to do.

I'd talk you through it, but I'm useless haha ! My mate talked me through It on the phone, took less than 10 minutes.

I cant believe how bad they are.

Thanks anyway

I've got a HomeHub and always thought that you had to use the one they gave you. Can I change it myself and just plug my phone-line into the new one and then into the pc?

How much are they for a reliable one, and are they called 'routers'?

If you have a look in pc world you can pick one up for about 50 quid, router is what you want. You'll usually find the netgear ones just plug in and work. Bt connections use your phone line as authentication so you dont even need to put the username and password in. Should just work out the box. Try and get one thats wireless N compatible too.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a look in pc world you can pick one up for about 50 quid, router is what you want. You'll usually find the netgear ones just plug in and work. Bt connections use your phone line as authentication so you dont even need to put the username and password in. Should just work out the box. Try and get one thats wireless N compatible too.

I have a white box that BT put in, and the home hub, which part needs changing?

The box on the wall has a DSL connection into the white box, then a ethernet cable from the white box to the home hub

I have a white box that BT put in, and the home hub, which part needs changing?

The box on the wall has a DSL connection into the white box, then a ethernet cable from the white box to the home hub

Its the homehub that needs replacing, you should have a phone line going into the homehub though. Think the white box your talking about is the microfilter, microfilter should be connected to your phone socket, then the dsl from that should be going in the homehub.

Well I've never had a problem with them, you have a bit of a long wait to get through to an Indian call centre but they've always corrected any problems I've had.Maybe I'm just lucky though :dunno:

I know I'm massively late but in most recent report they came top for complaints to Offcom for both landline and broadband. Virgin Media were lowest in landline, Sky in broadband (with Virgin close). I'd dig it out if I wasn't on my phone

I once convinced a colleague of mine that "fibre optic" broadband didnt exist. Had him going for a week and my argument was "well did you see them put it in the ground?!" Haha

Technically, everyone has fibre optic broadband, depending on how you define it. Virgin Media have copper running into your house. The Fibre Optic part is how the connections are handled to the green cabinet on the side of the road. Thus the same for BT - it's the same phone line isn't it? They don't run fibre inside your house... I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Its the homehub that needs replacing, you should have a phone line going into the homehub though. Think the white box your talking about is the microfilter, microfilter should be connected to your phone socket, then the dsl from that should be going in the homehub.

no mate, no microfilter on this set up

The box on the wall has a phone line coming from it connected to my phone

Then another cable going into a "openreach" box (the white box) i think this is a modem

then from this box a ethernet cable connected to the home hub

• 7 months later...

BT's fibre network is being rolled out to the following exchanges ( leicester central, Montfort, braunstone , st barnabas , west wigston ) all apart from west wigston will be over the coming months and ready for service by christmas. ( I know this as I am in charge of the roll out in these exchanges ) so hopefully that will improve speeds for most BT ( lines ) users if you want it. Most CP's ( ie sky ) will offer a "fibre" service off the back of these improvements

Any news on West Wigston ?, it says June 2013 on the BT website but dates have been and gone a few times already.

Archived