Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Cloud Synching - Dropbox, Google Drive, etc

Ok, what I'm wanting to do it store a number of files 'virtually' so a number of people can access them from their own PCs, thus avoiding the need to email numerous attachments, physically pass round my external hard-drive, etc, etc.

So I'm thinking using cloud synching would be the best option - yes? :dunno:

If so, does anyone have any suggestions re which service (free, for preference) is the best option? I was talking to a friend who uses dropbox and she was singing its praises but casually mentioned that her main annoyance with it is that once you move a file from your PC into dropbox it removes it from your PC - if so, this would drive me nuts - I still want to be able to access it from my PCs documents without accessing dropbox - is she really right in saying this? :unsure:

Any suggestions....?!

I use dropbox because I got 50gb free with my phone and its alright, does the job. If you just copy and paste instead of dragging you wont have a problem

Ah, I was thinking that this was surely an option. :cool:

I assume it's simply password-protected so if I was to give my password to others they'd also be able to access my files?

I assume it's simply password-protected so if I was to give my password to others they'd also be able to access my files?

Yeah.. I used to use it last year with a couple of mates. So we could all access documents without sending them via email and usb etc

lol If you really want to access all my lesson planning you're more than welcome :D

Password? I would love to see your lesson planning. For the record Dropbox is very good. Just c and p rather than drag and drop to avoid the issue you outlined. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We use the 100gb Dropbox option heavily for work - fantastic and I would highly recommend.

If you use a mac or linux, in addition to sync'ing your documents, you can also easily sync app preferences, inboxes etc. so you can use 3-4 computers and any changes on one affects all of them, really handy if you use a desktop and a laptop.

Re: the moving files, dropbox just makes a folder in your home directory (not sure where on windows, probably 'my documents' if windows still has that?) and anything in there gets synced. I don't know why you would want to copy/paste though and not drag it as then you will have 2 copies to maintain, and every time you update the version outside of dropbox it would need manually updating, seems a lot of hassle and easy to accidentally overwrite changes.

You can easily share folders with other people in dropbox too, so its *very* handy for sharing work on projects with colleagues and clients.

You don't need to give out your password, you would keep your own individual dropbox accounts and just share a folder with one or more people. You just enter their email address to do this and it invites them to share the folder.

I thought you went Box, Fi?

I did in the end. The only thing that bugs me (with the free version) is that you can't download multiple files and need to do them one at a time. It's less of an issue for me (as I'm the one putting the files on there to share) but I'm sure I'd find it a pain in the arse if I was the one then downloading them.

Archived