Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

Guest Col city fan

Come on Col, if you're counting that as "hostile" you'll soon have nobody else's posts to read.

Really confused by your posts in this thread - I know you thought Beckford could turn it around, but you were amongst the first to recognize that he was dross last season.

Don't get me wrong mate, it's not just based on that comment..And it's just my opinion of course.

Re Beckford, I'm sure you and I have always been in pretty broad agreement about him. I think we share the view that he has a terrible first touch, that he's really no good in the air and that he cannot shield the ball well enough to be able to help the team out when we are under pressure.

What I've consistently said though since the end of last season is that I have a gut feeling that he can turn it on if he ever really wanted to. I think it's about confidence actually. I can't help feeling that he's one of those frustrating strikers who, if he scores a few in his first few games would then go on to ping in thirty for the season. Sure, his foibles would remain. I'm sure he would still have the first touch of a pub player and not track back enough.. But that would all be overlooked if he was doing what he was best at.. Simply finishing chances.

Does that make sense?

Finally, I've also now said on many occasions that we could only get him playing like this if he had much better service from the midfield ie. Slide rule passes to run onto.

Therefore, I was hoping that Nige would keep him AND buy that clever midfielder who's job it was to unlock defences. The two in tandem, could have worked IMO.

Hope that makes it clear mate. And forgive me if I've made wrong assumptions on your part re Beckford.

Guest Col city fan

As depressing to read as your sentence is, you are quite right imo.

We just won't compete in the midfield area when we play the top sides.

Don't you just know it...

Especially away from home.

Midfield will be Marshall-Drinkwater-Danns-Dyer.

That looks okay but I don't think it will be good enough for automatic promotion let alone the playoffs if we replace Dyer with a better LW than maybe we could do it.

As depressing to read as your sentence is, you are quite right imo.

We just won't compete in the midfield area when we play the top sides.

I shudder every time i think about it but its been proven time and time again that if these players are fit they will play. Also imagine once Wellens is fit I actually dread to think..

Don't you just know it...

Especially away from home.

There isn't a single strong tackle in any of the midfielders we have in the squad and that can be the difference between a win or a loss, especially away from home.

Midfield will be Marshall-Drinkwater-Danns-Dyer.

If Dyer starts we won't get promoted. I'm not suggesting one player will cost us that chance but we all know, opposition managers and teams all know that apart from pace, he offers limited threat. To start him is ridiculous imo, he should be used sparingly in the second half of games if it isn't going our way. He beat his man once last season that I remember, I think it was vs Derby. Says it all.

It's so glaringly obvious that we need an alternative down the left and yet this still hasn't been addressed. Putting Marshall there doesn't count because we all know Gally will be on the other side and we all know where that one takes us. One good game out of five or six will put us mid table using Gally on right.

If Dyer starts we won't get promoted. I'm not suggesting one player will cost us that chance

Yes you are, which is pretty strange considering Dyer played regularly when we finished 5th in the Championship.

Dyer isn't f**king good enough

Wellens isn't f**king good enough

Gallagher isn't f**king good enough

These three players for me just aren't up to the demands of championship football at the top end, if we want promotion we need better please NP get better replacements.

Guest Col city fan

I shudder every time i think about it but its been proven time and time again that if these players are fit they will play. Also imagine once Wellens is fit I actually dread to think..

There isn't a single strong tackle in any of the midfielders we have in the squad and that can be the difference between a win or a loss, especially away from home.

It was so so clear under Sousa and Sven that we needed a midfield ball winner.. Not a 'flair' player, but a ball winner. One who could simply get his boot in, make the tackle and give it to Gally or King to take us forward again.

I'm still not sure there is such a player under Pearson? Maybe Danns, he can be snappy.. But I personally think this could be a glaring omission.

And I do think it could be the difference between success and failure next season.

I'd LOVE to see Spearing at City for this exact reason. That would give me huge hope.

It might have been nice to see Beckford getting the kind of service he could thrive on while at City - fast passes between defenders - but it hasn't happened so far and I don't know who can provide it.

Without tailored service Beckford is a luxury that's all price and not much performance. He doesn't hold the ball up, it's a toss up whether he controls it or falls over it anyway, he's no workaholic defensively and too often he'll fail to deliver a final pass to a better-placed colleague.

But he does get chances, he does have pace to get clear of people and he does get a shot in unusually quickly and threateningly ...qualities that should guarantee him 20 goals a season in a side which compliments his ability.

With success based on getting the 75/80 goals I see as virtually guaranteeing a place in the promotion run-in, 20 goals would be considerable, expecially if Nugent and Vardy were to knock in 30+ between them. But will Pearson get the supply right?

If he did it would mean the rest of the team only needed 25/30 goals between them from such things as corners, free-kicks and actually showing willing to shoot. That surely wouldn't be asking too much even if we continue our near addiction to going into defensive mode whenever we get in front.

If Beckford leaves I can't see who else will score his share of the goals never mind if Nugent or Vardy get injured. But for all that Beckford doesn't seem like a Pearson player. He's much more a Gradel than a Nugent. A maverick rather than a footsoldier.

So should we keep him? Well, it's Pearson's team and (presumably) Pearson's decision. I don't care so long as we score enough goals.

Yes you are, which is pretty strange considering Dyer played regularly when we finished 5th in the Championship.

No I am not. If you would care to read the rest of my post I have suggested that the options available apart from using Dyer on the left leave us limited and will see us struggle. To rely on a player who only offers pace and not have another player who is left footed and can play LM/LW will see us screwed.

And the team that finished 5th also contained Wellens. That was over two years ago, times change and so does the way we need to play football.

Guest Col city fan

If Dyer starts we won't get promoted. I'm not suggesting one player will cost us that chance but we all know, opposition managers and teams all know that apart from pace, he offers limited threat. To start him is ridiculous imo, he should be used sparingly in the second half of games if it isn't going our way. He beat his man once last season that I remember, I think it was vs Derby. Says it all.

It's so glaringly obvious that we need an alternative down the left and yet this still hasn't been addressed. Putting Marshall there doesn't count because we all know Gally will be on the other side and we all know where that one takes us. One good game out of five or six will put us mid table using Gally on right.

I agree with everything you say, except Dyer.

Used well, he's still the only midfielder with real pace. I've always liked him. It's centre mid we need to strengthen IMO.

Archived