Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

While I understand that Beckford can do a very good job in the Championship if a team is built around, I just can't help but feel like we shouldn't be trying to build our squad around one player. When we were in League One we played a system that didn't really focus on one player and we ran away with the League, while you were playing in a way that suited Jermaine, but it took you three years to scrape out of League One by the skin of your teeth with players like Delph, Becchio and Snodgrass, players miles ahead of what we had. Now I don't know if that's a big factor that contributed to your failure to go up earlier, but I don't see why we should alter our style of play to accommodate one player when Nugent himself has proven to be equally as good and fits our current style of play relatively well.

The other issue and reason why I'm unsure about us keeping Beckford is his wages. It is quite clear that Beckford is the best paid player at the club, and personally I really don't think that paying someone who was a let down last year more than our other players is a sensible approach. I also don't think that we should be throwing £30,000 a week at a player who is no guarantee of promotion, because if we do keep failing to go up, then there is just no way that we'll be able to support those wages in the long run. Personally I think he'd do well at another Championship club, but it hasn't worked for him here so far, and I can't see it working if we continue to play the way that Nigel Pearson has had success playing here before. I'd be quite happy to see Beckford go to you and I'd wish him well. Similarly if he stays at Leicester I'd support him, I think he could do well for us, but I think it's a big gamble on his wages, when he has never done it in this division, and I certainly don't think we should be neglecting the strengths of other players to accommodate him.

I can understand why most of our fans rate him, he is a capable Championship striker, but he has in my opinion done nothing to justify the wages he is on. I also think that our fans are judging him on what he did for you in League One, not what he has done for us, I don't think they'd do that for most of our players, and I think Beckford's reputation is probably higher (unfairly) than it would be if he had done the same for 'little old Leicester' in League One. There are just as capable strikers as Jermaine Beckford who are both cheaper and would fit the style we play better, but I trust NP and if he decides to keep him then I'm sure Beckford will do a good job for us.

Seems like a generally fair post.

Only unfair bit was the assessment of our L1 time. Please don't skirt over the fact that were it not for the 15 docked points, we'd have gone up automatically straight away. Also, where we stuttered in the second season is when Gary mac opted to play a less direct style of play that did not suit JB quite so well. When Grayson came in, he saw what was needed and we began to flourish again.

I agree though, no sense in playing to one man's strengths if you don't feel he's the most important man in your squad. It's just an explanation for why he perhaps hasn't score the number of goals you'd expect. Same with Carroll at Liverpool.

Anyway, seems like we're about to sign CMS so God knows where that leaves the Beckford situation now. If we sign him, i'd be surprised if we sign JB too.

Seems like a generally fair post.

Only unfair bit was the assessment of our L1 time. Please don't skirt over the fact that were it not for the 15 docked points, we'd have gone up automatically straight away. Also, where we stuttered in the second season is when Gary mac opted to play a less direct style of play that did not suit JB quite so well. When Grayson came in, he saw what was needed and we began to flourish again.

I agree though, no sense in playing to one man's strengths if you don't feel he's the most important man in your squad. It's just an explanation for why he perhaps hasn't score the number of goals you'd expect. Same with Carroll at Liverpool.

Anyway, seems like we're about to sign CMS so God knows where that leaves the Beckford situation now. If we sign him, i'd be surprised if we sign JB too.

I highly doubt he's going to leave now after the last couple of days, it all seems to have died down. I think CMS looks like a good player though, wish we'd signed him when we had the chance last year, reckon he'll do a good job for you.

I highly doubt he's going to leave now after the last couple of days, it all seems to have died down. I think CMS looks like a good player though, wish we'd signed him when we had the chance last year, reckon he'll do a good job for you.

Should do ok but would still leave us shy of goals. He's not a free scoring player like JB.

Yeah, everytime I've see CMS he has looked decent.

Get him signed and leave JB with us. :thumbup:

I've no idea if Beckford is even going to leave, it looked nailed on a couple of days ago but not so sure now.

Toffee Fox still saying Beckford is going despite what is being denied

Bit surprised really unless NP is holding his cards close to his chest, but why say Beckford is in your plans if we are going to sell him makes no sense to me unless he is trying to detract from Fans criticism when we sell him?

Bit surprised really unless NP is holding his cards close to his chest, but why say Beckford is in your plans if we are going to sell him makes no sense to me unless he is trying to detract from Fans criticism when we sell him?

Who Knows? Toffee Fox isn't normally wrong on Leicester matters. He does like his wind ups though

I doubt he's going anywhere, but then again Fourth Official isn't usually wrong. As someone who really wouldn't mind either way, I'm happy to just see what happens here. I'm still not comfortable with his wages though.

I doubt he's going anywhere, but then again Fourth Official isn't usually wrong. As someone who really wouldn't mind either way, I'm happy to just see what happens here. I'm still not comfortable with his wages though.

Your not paying them so chill out.

You would be if you were getting them :thumbup:

Either way I just hope it doesn't drag on until the window shuts.

Your not paying them so chill out.

You are beyond parody.

If the Thais pull out, we're fvcked. It's not Beckford's fault he's being paid what he is, but with a) FFP and b) owners with no emotional attachment to the club, another season of expensive failure (across the board, absolutely not singling out Beckford here) could spell disaster for our club.

These things do and should matter to all fans of the club.

You are beyond parody.

If the Thais pull out, we're fvcked. It's not Beckford's fault he's being paid what he is, but with a) FFP and b) owners with no emotional attachment to the club, another season of expensive failure (across the board, absolutely not singling out Beckford here) could spell disaster for our club.

Well said. I just want the best for the club, don't know why anyone would have a problem with that.

You are beyond parody.

Yes I understand about FFP, but we don't need to be worked up about it, their is a time frame to get our houses in order in this division, and FFP regulations are different in the prem should we reach it, and another thing most of our players are high earners so should we get rid of them?, no I wouldn't of thought so.

We are not asking a team to fit around Beckford at all, that is a pretty unfair comment. We have played a style of football that wouldn't suit many strikers and hasn't suited Nuggent either. I think we are all forgetting that Nuggent only scored 1 more goal than Beckford with a higher number of starts. Beckford scored more goals than Nuggent post Chritsmas and finished the season as the stonger striker. Both players need a target man and we have that in Futacs. Again it is unfair to talk about Beckford in relation to his salary; he was offered that amount and took it (as would we all). I would blame the fd for that and not even Sven - that would have been down to whichever director sanctioned the deal not the manager. Leeds won't pay Beckfords salary - whatever that may be as we don't know for sure. As it happens it looks like it may just be a rumour that he wants out or NP wants him out. Time will tell but I think he will score 18 plus goals next season if he is given a full season with us.

Yes I understand about FFP, but we don't need to be worked up about it, their is a time frame to get our houses in order in this division, and FFP regulations are different in the prem should we

reach it, and another thing most of our players are high earners so should we get rid of them?, no I wouldn't of thought so.

Depends on whether they provide value for money.

ASSUMING a £30k per week wage and amortising his £2.5 million transfer fee over the 4-year length of his contract, in his 11 months at Leicester, Beckford has cost us £228k per league goal.

That is not value for money.

I do appreciate the point that others have horribly under-performed relative to their alleged wages (Mills, Pantsil, Johnson) but these players have been shipped out.

Also, as mentioned above, even if we forget FFP, this level of spending is unsustainable for a Chamionship club.

Yes I understand about FFP, but we don't need to be worked up about it, their is a time frame to get our houses in order in this division, and FFP regulations are different in the prem should we reach it, and another thing most of our players are high earners so should we get rid of them?, no I wouldn't of thought so.

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT FFP.

Unless you can guarantee Beckford will get us into the Premiership (Which you can't) there is no way we should be spending £30,000 a week on his wages. The thing is if we fail to get promoted, or heaven forbid we go down, and the owners pull out this club is ****ed, we'll be in the sort of position Pompey are. I'd rather we stuck to being a Championship club with an outside bet for promotion, winning more games than we lose, than to spend way above our means trying to get into the Premier League and risk not doing it and ending up like Pompey/Rangers etc. Trying to get into the top flight may be worth it for the owners who will benefit massively financially if they can do it, but as a fan do I want to risk not having a club, for the novelty factor of playing the big clubs for a few years, but generally losing most of our games, and having to pay more to watch it? I don't think so. Call it a lack of ambition if you want, and maybe it's because I wasn't around to truly appreciate the MON era, but I just don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Aside from that, I really don't think Beckford has done enough to suggest he should be earning more than players like Nugent who it seems fairly likely are receiving less than him. Not to mention the fact that Nigel still stands a decent chance of getting us promoted not paying those wages.

:/

Beckford scored more goals than Nuggent post Chritsmas and finished the season as the stonger striker.

People keep trotting out the "fact" that Brvkford finished the season strongly but he scored once in the last nine games. He had 2 purple patches of 2-3 games in late January and March respectively (when he was excellent) but was otherwise consistently poor.

Appreciate the point about it not being his fault that he is paid what he is, but that's assuming people don't want him for personal reasons. Regardless of who is responsible for his wages, he is not providing value for money, and from both a business and football perspective it makes sense to move him on if possible.

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT FFP.

Unless you can guarantee Beckford will get us into the Premiership (Which you can't) there is no way we should be spending £30,000 a week on his wages. The thing is if we fail to get promoted, or heaven forbid we go down, and the owners pull out this club is ****ed, we'll be in the sort of position Pompey are. I'd rather we stuck to being a Championship club with an outside bet for promotion, winning more games than we lose, than to spend way above our means trying to get into the Premier League and risk not doing it and ending up like Pompey/Rangers etc. Trying to get into the top flight may be worth it for the owners who will benefit massively financially if they can do it, but as a fan do I want to risk not having a club, for the novelty factor of playing the big clubs for a few years, but generally losing most of our games, and having to pay more to watch it? I don't think so. Call it a lack of ambition if you want, and maybe it's because I wasn't around to truly appreciate the MON era, but I just don't think it's a risk worth taking.

Aside from that, I really don't think Beckford has done enough to suggest he should be earning more than players like Nugent who it seems fairly likely are receiving less than him. Not to mention the fact that Nigel still stands a decent chance of getting us promoted not paying those wages.

I was and I still agree with you :scarf:

Archived