Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

Beckford probably couldn't help but score goals if Pearson uses our assets properly but perhaps the question is not so much how many goals he scores or how he plays at his best, but how often he's significantly below his best.

I say that because he's not the sort who will graft and do something useful however he's playing. From what I have seen Beckford can be brilliant one week and so diabolical the next as to become a liability.

But, for all that he's definitely capable of a 20-goal season and we're almost certainly going to need that sort of scoring power to have any chance of competing for automatic promotion.

Goals are gold to a football club but, thankfully this season, it would seem we might have others to take Beckford's place on the bad days. And part of Pearson's job is to get the best Beckford turning up more often than not.

We have the most natural striker who can win us a league since Collymore

and I still can't believe the amount of idiots on here who still doubt him.

Jermaine, I believe in you and I'll back that up with £100 on you being golden boot next season. We have some idiot fans but don't all clubs! You're loved, at least by me.

Aye, a league winner with a superb 9 goals last year that won us a grand 9th place.

He can score goals if we play around him very well, but the way people act surprised at the fact he gets questioned is just beyond me when you consider his record for us.

Aye, a league winner with a superb 9 goals last year that won us a grand 9th place.

He can score goals if we play around him very well, but the way people act surprised at the fact he gets questioned is just beyond me when you consider his record for us.

chuffin Nora! no one has ever said the amount of goals he scored in the league last season! thanks for pointing it out!

remind me how good our midfield was last season?

On his day deadly. We need to get behind him and the rest of the team, regardless of wages, form, transfer fee etc. positive support will only encourage them to do better.

Take the Olympics for example, how many people boo'ed when we didn't win medal? Or when one of the competitors didn't do as good as expected? 0.

On his day deadly. We need to get behind him and the rest of the team, regardless of wages, form, transfer fee etc. positive support will only encourage them to do better.

Take the Olympics for example, how many people boo'ed when we didn't win medal? Or when one of the competitors didn't do as good as expected? 0.

I agree theres a lot to be learnt from the olympics by fans and players. I doubt anything will though, its up to the F.A.s to be better enforcers. Starting by bringing in the rule that any player who gets up in refs faces gets booked. Sick of seeing overpaid kids giving no respect to the game. Rant over

Good enough for Nugent to score 15 league goals and people supporting Beckford to the hilt seem to class him below Jermaine.

I presume the Doncaster midfield was excellent for Sharp to outscore JB by Christmas?

We need to stop blaming the midfield and let him shoulder some blame for what was mostly very poor performances from him. Yes the midfield play a part, but the best strikers will put away most of the chances they get and he just didn't do that.

All this "top striker", "potentially the best striker in the league" just baffles me. He can be great, but more often than not he just isn't. And maybe that's why he has never scored more than 9 league goals above league one at the age of 29.

I hope to Christ he does bang them in, you can see he has it in him. But it needs to happen more than once every 8 / 9 / 10 games and that for me is the biggest question mark hanging over him

A ridiculous comparison.

To even reach the Olympics,Team GB competitors had to be among the best in their sport.

They were also competing against the planet's finest, not some mediocrities in one of the nation's lower leagues.

And their passion, effort and commitment was there for all to see.

A ridiculous comparison.

To even reach the Olympics,Team GB competitors had to be among the best in their sport.

They were also competing against the planet's finest, not some mediocrities in one of the nation's lower leagues.

And their passion, effort and commitment was there for all to see.

You've missed my point. Ok, probably not the greatest example, but the support was an obvious point of encouragement for the athletes. Simply put; we should support the team, and individuals regardless of whether they're playing badly - we need to pick 'em up.

That record has got stuck again. Babylon tells us that Beckford has never scored more than nine goals in a season above Div 1, again and again and again and again and again and again etc etc etc and again and again.

I think we've got the message!

Now move on - who gives a sh*t?

That record has got stuck again. Babylon tells us that Beckford has never scored more than nine goals in a season above Div 1, again and again and again and again and again and again etc etc etc and again and again.

I think we've got the message!

Now move on - who gives a sh*t?

Well if people are going to keep making him out to be some amazing proven striker and blaming it all on the midfield then it will keep being trotted out.

And i'm not sure you are in any position to talk about broken records. Perhaps you and the anti Pearson brigade should take on your own advice, as I don't see you saying that to them.... but then you probably don't have an unhealthy obsession with them as you do me.

Firstly, it's a chicken and egg scenario. Before Beckford arrived we'd scored 7 goals in our first 5 games, so the midfield was doing ok?

Can I just ask - has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, it was Beckford's fault that he was so reprehensibly awful for the first four months he was here, and not far above average for the rest of last season? Not the midfield's or Nigel's or Sven's or Edgar fookin Davids' fault, Beckford's?

Of course not, he's "class". We all saw that oh so often last season.

I just don't understand where people get the gall to criticise opinions that are based on underlying facts, when their own opinions are based on hunches, hearsay and blind loyalty. Fair enough, if you think he'll do well, fine. But all of the evidence suggests he won't. One great game against Boro and a couple of other decent ones don't change that.

People talk about other players having poor seasons and they did. King had his worst season in a City shirt, and now seems to be written off by many. Surely somebody like him, a guy who has repeatedly delivered for us when it matters (including pitting us into a match-winning position in a play-off semi) is far more deserving of our patience and respect than Beckford, who has achieved next to nothing for our club.

Likewise Wellens and Gallagher, slated by all and sundry on here, but they have had consistent spells of excellence for us. Even Gallagher's reaction to being booed off at Chelsea was a class above Beckford's "stare the crowd down" routine when he got hauled off after that "performance" at West Ham. Gallagher realised he was playing poorly and applauded the traveling fans, even whilst he, a decent servant for our club, was being booed off.

For the record, and I appreciate that this is where my views differ to Mark_w, Babylon and, in the light of his almost u-turn (we'll call it a j-turn), Col, but I think Beckford is a poor to middling Chanpionship level centre forward. Not only do I think that he won't be a success here, I'm not sure he'd be a success anywhere in the division. He's fast, occasionally makes decent runs off the ball (although as I have repeatedly said elsewhere this is massively overstated by certain posters desperate to find a minor chink of positivity after another poor display), and an ok finisher. But he has the touch of a Conference player and offers little else to the team in or out of position than goalscoring.

People use the "all he does is score goals" line as an ironic stick to beat down any criticism. The problem is he doesn't score many goals either.

Appreciate this is not a popular view, and obviously other opinions are available. For the record, I would LOVE him to be a success here (so long as it was not at the expense of the team) as we all want to see City do well. All I'm saying is that the evidence suggests we'd be best off getting rid as soon as possible, and I'm amazed by both the number and vehemence of those insisting he will come good.

I feel like I should be adding a bibliography and footnotes now.

Well if people are going to keep making him out to be some amazing proven striker and blaming it all on the midfield then it will keep being trotted out.

And i'm not sure you are in any position to talk about broken records. Perhaps you and the anti Pearson brigade should take on your own advice, as I don't see you saying that to them.... but then you probably don't have an unhealthy obsession with them as you do me.

I'm sure Ultra would be amused to see you bemoaning "unhealthy obsessions".. ;)

Guest Col city fan

It seems to me ( and it's merely an assumption) that Pearson appears that he's willing to give Beckford a chance. I think that if Beckford plays the first few games of the season and doesn't look like he's going to do anything very much, Pearson will then drop him and I would be surprised if he plays much for City again.

If he starts well, expect to see Jermaine for much of the coming season.

Clearly JB did not do enough last season but I don't see why that means he should be judged on his wages all the time when we don't do that with any other player. I personally will put my trust in Pearson to make the correct decision, which is what he is paid to do and ultimately it is his job on the line if he makes the wrong choices.

We have spent the summer rebuilding the squad so I don't see why ANY player has to be subjected to continued criticism a few days before the season when we have not played a competitive match after this summer of rebuilding. Some actually said he should be sold based on his performance against Sunderland at the weekend which I think is frightening.

Then on the other hand we have people claiming JB to be one of the best in the division and a certainty to score a shitload of goals when there is no real justification for that either which just fans the flames and gets those unsure about him all riled up.

I don't buy that JB should take all the blame though as it was Pearson who continued to select him and if he was really that bad then maybe the decision to keep playing him was a poor one and maybe even cost us a playoff place. I don't actually believe he was that bad so don't question Pearsons decision but those that do should be questioning the manager just as much. Beckford does not pick the team as far as I know.

That being said if we sell him before the deadline we should not overly criticise the manager and instead hope that the decision he makes is for the best of the club. As I said it his job on the line should we fail once more.

Archived