Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

I wish people would stop saying "league goals" just to try and distort the facts to make Beckford look worse. A goal is a goal - you can't say that only goals in the league determine the quality of a player (unless it's against much lower league opposition), because it's not as if players don't try to score in the cup or vice versa. The goal may not be as useful, but it's still a goal.

Beckford particularly didn't set the league on fire, but he scored 16 last season, and Nugent scored 17.

I wish people would stop saying "league goals" just to try and distort the facts to make Beckford look worse. A goal is a goal - you can't say that only goals in the league determine the quality of a player (unless it's against much lower league opposition), because it's not as if players don't try to score in the cup or vice versa. The goal may not be as useful, but it's still a goal.

Beckford particularly didn't set the league on fire, but he scored 16 last season, and Nugent scored 17.

That is nothing, we had people taking Gally's penalties from his scoring record the other day. :blink:

Fine, Beckford scored 10 goals against decent opposion and 5 against a Forest side who had a CM in defence and Swindon. Happy?

Edit: Actually it's 15 including cup goals.

Well if people are going to keep making him out to be some amazing proven striker and blaming it all on the midfield then it will keep being trotted out.

And i'm not sure you are in any position to talk about broken records. Perhaps you and the anti Pearson brigade should take on your own advice, as I don't see you saying that to them.... but then you probably don't have an unhealthy obsession with them as you do me.

I had not realised that I could be perceived as having an obsession with you. However if there is validity in that, my defence is that I probably involve myself too much in your obsessions.

Fine, Beckford scored 11 goals against decent opposion and 5 against a Forest side who had a CM in defence and Swindon. Happy?

Forest are a championship side. I don't see people taking away Nugents goals against crappy championship sides. An argument could be made that scoring against swindon isn't particually good, but Swindon didn't actually look too bad.

He also scored against Chelsea....

Fine, Beckford scored 10 goals against decent opposion and 5 against a Forest side who had a CM in defence and Swindon. Happy?

Edit: Actually it's 15 including cup goals.

How do Coventry come under "decent opposition" and Forest excluded?

How do Coventry come under "decent opposition" and Forest excluded?

lol

It's very simplistic yes but I just don't think that in a debate about how good Beckford is at this level cup goals are relevent. Doesn't mean they aren't important, just not important to the topic being discussed.

I think if your looking at a players goal scoring record you need all competitive goals included but maybe separate the different competitions. So league goals (9) and cup goals (6). That way each individual giving an opinion can choose for themselves which are important goals.

I don't think it can argued his goals record is what we had hoped for or expected whichever way you write it down though.

Even if this were true, do you not think that NP has a clearer look at the two players, given that the last 2/3 months they have spent most of the time training together?

Yes I would agree with that

Nugent also scored against Portsmouth and Doncaster, and Beckford against West Ham. It's pointless talking about which teams they scored against, they both scored against teams thst will be in league 1 this season.

Everyone is well aware that he hasn't scored 10+ above league one in a league, but this really is just going in circles.

In his first season with us he scored 15 times, that is a fact, and for me 15 goals isn't exactly a bad return for a striker in a completely new team who joined on deadline day.

He's looked sharp in pre season, so why not start looking to how well he may do this year rather than discussing his 'cup goals'.

Of course they bloody count, never heard something so ridiculous. Anyway rant over, let's just realise he does have potential to score 20+ and get behind him as there is a lot of support for him. The past is the past.

Everyone is well aware that he hasn't scored 10+ above league one in a league, but this really is just going in circles.

In his first season with us he scored 15 times, that is a fact, and for me 15 goals isn't exactly a bad return for a striker in a completely new team who joined on deadline day.

He's looked sharp in pre season, so why not start looking to how well he may do this year rather than discussing his 'cup goals'.

Of course they bloody count, never heard something so ridiculous. Anyway rant over, let's just realise he does have potential to score 20+ and get behind him as there is a lot of support for him. The past is the past.

I hate to say this because I do agree with you. But league goals are more important than cup goals, at least they are to us.

What I want from him (along with the rest of the team and their perfomances) is consistancy. It's pointless if he scores a hatrick in the cup but then goes 4 or 5 games without a goal in the league. So, his goals in the cup count, but it's his league goals that matter to us and our chances this year. I'd prefer 15-20 goals spread over 30 odd league games than 15 goals spread over 40+ games including cup matches in fits and spurts. It's obviously better for us if Beckford gets 15 goals in 15 matches and we win each game 1-0 than for him to score 15 goals in 10 matches (including cup games) and we lose half of those league games (yes I know, bit of an exaggerated example :thumbup: )

So we can just put this argument to bed. Yes his cup goals count because they show us he has potential to score goals, but it's his league goals that matter and the consistancy of his performances

Remember, last season was only his first season.

Imo, he hasn't been poor at all.

If only he motivates himself (or Pearson) to work harder, learn to control the ball better and chase any balls near to him.

Let's see this upcoming Saturday etc to determine whether he'll be our top target man. :thumbup:

I hate to say this because I do agree with you. But league goals are more important than cup goals, at least they are to us.

What I want from him (along with the rest of the team and their perfomances) is consistancy. It's pointless if he scores a hatrick in the cup but then goes 4 or 5 games without a goal in the league. So, his goals in the cup count, but it's his league goals that matter to us and our chances this year. I'd prefer 15-20 goals spread over 30 odd league games than 15 goals spread over 40+ games including cup matches in fits and spurts. It's obviously better for us if Beckford gets 15 goals in 15 matches and we win each game 1-0 than for him to score 15 goals in 10 matches (including cup games) and we lose half of those league games (yes I know, bit of an exaggerated example :thumbup: )

So we can just put this argument to bed. Yes his cup goals count because they show us he has potential to score goals, but it's his league goals that matter and the consistancy of his performances

Well put

I couldn't give a shit if Beckford doesn't play well, as long as he starts scoring goals I will be happy.

Same as Yakubu, he was lazy but got us goals, and hopefully Beckford can do the same.

I would like him to stay, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left at the end of August if he get's off to a bad start.

The problem is he only scored 9 goals when many expected him to get at least 15, but Pearson is a manager who can get the best out of his players, hopefully Beckford is one of them this season.

Guest nathan.

As much as i like Beckford i think if a solid bid came in from anyone even a promotion rival hed be sold. Cant help but get feeling we want rid

As much as i like Beckford i think if a solid bid came in from anyone even a promotion rival hed be sold. Cant help but get feeling we want rid

What over the last 2 months have given you that impression? Beckford has been involved in most pre-season games. He has looked sharp and has worked pretty hard from the games that I have seen - also scoring a brace albeit against lower league team. If we wanted rid, why hasn't Pearson but him on the transfer list?

Does anyone else think the workrate of beckford has improved since last season? I know everyone is bound to put in that bit more of an effort to get in the starting 11 for peterborough but it seems to me he's maybe adapted his game to suit the championship and impress NP, he gets slated for being "lazy" when to me he chasing defenders a lot more and closing down quickley certainly has in pre season anyway

Does anyone else think the workrate of beckford has improved since last season? I know everyone is bound to put in that bit more of an effort to get in the starting 11 for peterborough but it seems to me he's maybe adapted his game to suit the championship and impress NP, he gets slated for being "lazy" when to me he chasing defenders a lot more and closing down quickley certainly has in pre season anyway

I think it improved significantly as soon as Nigel came back.

Archived