Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford

Guest Col city fan

Are you doing your 'Even though I hated Beckford, now that he's leaving I'll say I didn't so that everyone will like me' thing?

How do you work that out?

I've been saying give him another go for weeks?

Do you read the threads?

No, because I gave my reasoning mr flip flop!!

lol lol

Yeah rite!

I wasn't aware I claimed that he was worth £30,000 a week. One could ask why you believe a striker with 5 goals in 41 games is worth £3m? After all that is the potential fee for Waghorn but I don't believe that is what you think. Quite frankly his weekly wage is imaterial as no one actually knows what he is earning, it's been guestimated and turned into fact.

I wasn't aware I claimed that Waghorn is worth £3m. :P

That figure has already been paid, as has Beckford's, that's why I'm not talking about their transfer fees.

However if I think the club are paying way over the odds in terms of wages for a player, and that there is a chance however slim that it could damage the club in the long run, it's only natural I want him to leave or take a pay cut.

How do you work that out?

I've been saying give him another go for weeks?

Do you read the threads?

Sorry didn't know that Beckford had played so much football in the last 3 weeks that it changed what I assumed was your opinion based on reading the forums 5 or 6 weeks ago.

If he does go its another piece of the failed win or bust spending consigned to history. With 10-11 reported loss and the projected much bigger loss to come when the books are closed for the last 12 months we were always going to have to cut the wage bill massively. The owners seem to have realised they need to cut their cloth. Big shame as he could well have been a 20 goal man but at his total cost it's probably too big a risk.

That figure has already been paid, as has Beckford's, that's why I'm not talking about their transfer fees.

However if I think the club are paying way over the odds in terms of wages for a player, and that there is a chance however slim that it could damage the club in the long run, it's only natural I want him to leave or take a pay cut.

Likewise if I think a player is vastly superior to other players in a similar position at the club I'd want to keep him.

Guest Col city fan

Sorry didn't know that Beckford had played so much football in the last 3 weeks that it changed what I assumed was your opinion based on reading the forums 5 or 6 weeks ago.

Why become sarcastic Mark?

I've always had my doubts about Beckford, as made completely clear on here, I've also felt for some time that his problem may be one of lack of good supply from the midfield. As I've also made clear on here now for some time.

So I felt it would be good to give him another go with an improved midfield. As I said when I did the Poll.

Read back bud.......

Likewise if I think a player is vastly superior to other players in a similar position at the club I'd want to keep him.

Even if the club is in debt, his wages are massive, and if the owners decided at any point to leave then they would play a part in crippling the club?

You must think he's an awful lot better.

I've always had my doubts about Beckford, as made completely clear on here, I've also felt for some time that his problem may be one of lack of good supply from the midfield. As I've also made clear on here now for some time.

What happened to 'we shouldn't change the way we play to accommodate one player'? That was your opinion when I started posting regularly. A few new midfielders isn't going to change anything, we are going to have to change the way we play to accommodate Beckford if we want to get anything like what Leeds got out of him.

If true great news IMO, the sooner the over hyped, overpaid under performing Mr JB is off our books the better. And before the torrent of abuse starts other than scoring a few in Division 3 for Leeds what has he actually achieved? And regarding the possible forthcoming Everton quotes..... if he was that good Moyes ,best manager in PL IMO, based on resources ,would not have let him go! Then in comes Jelavic and see what a proper striker can do.

Guest Col city fan

Even if the club is in debt, his wages are massive, and if the owners decided at any point to leave then they would play a part in crippling the club?

What happened to 'we shouldn't change the way we play to accommodate one player'? That was your opinion when I started posting regularly. A few new midfielders isn't going to change anything, we are going to have to change the way we play to accommodate Beckford if we want to get anything like what Leeds got out of him.

A couple of new midfielders could change everything Mark.

As I've also posted on here.

Koren to Beckford... I'd take that all day every week.

You've made your opinion on Beckford clear for some time, so have I.

I was willing to give him another go, with the right supply.

See... No sarcasm!

lol

This does suggest no change to the style- Beckford does not suit a more direct team.

If he'd been here in 2010/11 I think people's opinions of him would be different.

I think it's a mistake, and Pearson needs a replacement because, Nugent aside, our front line is a mixture of unproven and not convincing.

I don't believe it's simply a pay issue

Konchesky came from Liverpool and King, Gallagher and Wellens were all given improved contracts under Sven so I do not think Beckford would have been on significantly more than these players especially as his previous club was Leeds and his contract there was for League 1.

I think this is all about cash. Beckford is on big money and they will prob get a good fee for him.

Yes there are other players on a fair wage, but we won't get the cash for them and they are maybe not wanted. Just a hunch.

Guest Col city fan

This does suggest no change to the style- Beckford does not suit a more direct team.

If he'd been here in 2010/11 I think people's opinions of him would be different.

I think it's a mistake, and Pearson needs a replacement because, Nugent aside, our front line is a mixture of unproven and not convincing.

I agree Corky.

Find myself agreeing with you more recently.

I don't believe it's simply a pay issue

Konchesky came from Liverpool and King, Gallagher and Wellens were all given improved contracts under Sven so I do not think Beckford would have been on significantly more than these players especially as his previous club was Leeds and his contract there was for League 1.

Agreed.

*Everton

*the Premier League

I'm talking about his previous club to Everton where his wages would have been significantly less so Everton would not have needed to offer him a massive salary, the £30k you keep quoting seemingly as fact is pure speculation and unproven.

Konchesky, Wellens, King and Gallagher I still believe would have been on broadly similar salaries

Again you've completely misrepresented my opinion and created new criteria in order to make a point.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record no one knows Beckford's weekly wage, or Waghorn's, or Nugent's. In fact we don't know what a single player earns.

Do Vardy and James suit the long ball game?

We're always going to mix it up a bit, it's not a style issue. It's a poor value, half a dozen decent games a year, poor control issue.

I'm talking about his previous club to Everton where his wages would have been significantly less so Everton would not have needed to offer him a massive salary, the £30k you keep quoting seemingly as fact is pure speculation and unproven.

Oh come on, Sven (Or Neville, don't shoot me) was giving money away. As for the £30k figure, I'm certain that Bert alluded to Beckford being on more than £25k a week the other day.

Konchesky, Wellens, King and Gallagher I still believe would have been on broadly similar salaries

Konchesky yes... The other three no chance.

Do Vardy and James suit the long ball game?

We're always going to mix it up a bit, it's not a style issue. It's a poor value, half a dozen decent games a year, poor control issue.

I doubt they do, but it doesn't mean it won't happen.

We are seemingly get rid of a player who quite clearly prefers the ball to feet, whilst bringing in Futacs where the temptation will be to hit him in the air.

Nugent is adaptable, I hope Vardy is, but this move, along with the style we've heard about in friendlies, doesn't suggest that a quicker passing game is coming any time soon.

If the direct style is successful then fine, I can cope with that. I just worry we'll be as pedestrian as we were for too much of last season.

Archived