Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RyanLCFC18

Anthony Knockaert

lol Except it's a million percent pronounced 'Royce'

I was on holiday in Turkey week before last and got chatting about football with the German geezer who owns the apartments we were staying in. He's a Dortmund fan (where Reus will be playing next season) and he pronounced it 'Roys'.

If he says it's 'Roys' than that'll do for me as he was a real-life, bona fide Deutschlander.

The whole country struggles, look at how we pronounce "Evra", anyone who has been to France knows its "Ev-war" rhyming with Tar.

I dread to think what we'll end up calling him.

What?! No it isn't! You've got shit hearing if that's what you heard. It's pronounced Eh-vrah, quite straightforward actually.

It's nock-air. :thumbup:

Nock-airt

Alex, as a Swiss, I would've thought you knew how to pronounce it correctly. Since when do French people NOT pronounce 'K'? In the case of Knockaert, it's a 'hard K' as in Knackwurst. Not even in Dutch (which I is where the name originates from) is the K silent like 'Kn'-words in English. Secondly, because of the Dutch/Flemish roots, the 'T' at the end is also pronounced as a 'hard T' and not a silent one (although a lot of French people, even Anthony Knockaert himself, will automatically discard the 'T' as you usually would. The French commentator in the video below actually pronounces the hard 'K' and 'T' at 1:30). But obviously the right way to pronounce his name, in my view, is the way he pronounces it himself in this video at 3:10

So there you have it. His name is pronounced 'Knock-ahr' with two hard 'K's

Commentators ALWAYS try to make players names sound fancy or mis pronounce them winds me up! The one that has probably got on my nerves the most is Marco Reus. Commentators during the European Championships were pronouncing it Royce when it's Ray-Us like the town/village near Salou in Spain :/

Royce actually looks right considering he's German and I swear when he scored all the fans shouted ROYCE as well.

I think Ray-us sounds more fancy lol

Others that annoy me are;

Drogba> Drog-bar

Pato> Pay-tow

Arshavin> arse-shaving lol

Oh my god, spot on with Drog-bar, fvcking annoys me that.

To be honest, I think a lot of people will have trouble with his first name, let alone his surname.

When did people start saying Anthony wrong? It's An-Ter-nee, not An-Ther-nee, or else why would it be Ant or Tony for short? It's not Anth and Dec, or Thony the Tiger.

Commentators ALWAYS try to make players names sound fancy or mis pronounce them winds me up! The one that has probably got on my nerves the most is Marco Reus. Commentators during the European Championships were pronouncing it Royce when it's Ray-Us like the town/village near Salou in Spain :/

But Reus is pronounced Royce / Roys mate...

To be honest, I think a lot of people will have trouble with his first name, let alone his surname.

When did people start saying Anthony wrong? It's An-Ter-nee, not An-Ther-nee, or else why would it be Ant or Tony for short? It's not Anth and Dec, or Thony the Tiger.

I dont think i know one person who says An-ther-nee.

My mates aint posh enough.

Saw this on a website which says we paid nearly £3 million for Knockaert.. I find it hard to believe as Pearson wouldn't pay that for an untested player.

Leicester City

For many Leicester City were their favourites for promotion last year with the club spending big money in the market on the likes of Jermaine Beckford and Matthew Mills. At that time they had a big name manager who ultimately failed to deliver and overspent on many of his signings (including both those mentioned) and I actually feel that the team have a better chance this year with Nigel Pearson’s first full season in charge at the club.

I am a big fan of Pearson who works well to create a solid, hard-working and organised side capable of beating any in the division. Last season he didn’t have enough time to put his own stamp on the side fully and get them in to promotion contention but with a full summer window to bring in his own players I feel that Pearson has assembled a very good side of smart deals capable of getting a play-off spot.

Nigel Pearson has kept his usual transfer style of bringing in not so big name players, lesser known talents who are capable of producing quality with the likes of Ritchie de Laet, Matt James, Zak Whitbread, Jamie Vardy and Marko Futacs coming in one quite cheap deals.

The most exciting transfer for the club for me is that of Anthony Knockaert with the talented French winger signing for a fee of around £2,700,000. The 20 year old had been previously linked with a move to Newcastle United and could prove a fantastic capture for the club.

http://www.football-lad.com/the-promotion-push-my-favourites-reviewed/

Saw this on a website which says we paid nearly £3 million for Knockaert.. I find it hard to believe as Pearson wouldn't pay that for an untested player.

Leicester City

For many Leicester City were their favourites for promotion last year with the club spending big money in the market on the likes of Jermaine Beckford and Matthew Mills. At that time they had a big name manager who ultimately failed to deliver and overspent on many of his signings (including both those mentioned) and I actually feel that the team have a better chance this year with Nigel Pearson’s first full season in charge at the club.

I am a big fan of Pearson who works well to create a solid, hard-working and organised side capable of beating any in the division. Last season he didn’t have enough time to put his own stamp on the side fully and get them in to promotion contention but with a full summer window to bring in his own players I feel that Pearson has assembled a very good side of smart deals capable of getting a play-off spot.

Nigel Pearson has kept his usual transfer style of bringing in not so big name players, lesser known talents who are capable of producing quality with the likes of Ritchie de Laet, Matt James, Zak Whitbread, Jamie Vardy and Marko Futacs coming in one quite cheap deals.

The most exciting transfer for the club for me is that of Anthony Knockaert with the talented French winger signing for a fee of around £2,700,000. The 20 year old had been previously linked with a move to Newcastle United and could prove a fantastic capture for the club.

http://www.football-...rites-reviewed/

Daniel is a young Welsh fan of Cardiff City FC. He is a massive football fan as well as a massive Football Manager player

says it all! lol

I think it's probably someone getting confused by reading £2/3m, meaning two thirds of a million pounds, and not two or three million pounds.

I could be wrong, but didn't we have a bit of banter ( me and some other folks ) on whether NP would ever spend £3M on any player even if he had the budget. There is no way we can know whether Knockaert did cost £3M, but still interesting.

Not sure, but I think 'on the fence Babs' may have been one who ( actually committed ) and said it would never happen.

Still only conjecture though about the price.

( On this one, I would be surprised myself ).

I could be wrong, but didn't we have a bit of banter ( me and some other folks ) on whether NP would ever spend £3M on any player even if he had the budget. There is no way we can know whether Knockaert did cost £3M, but still interesting.

Not sure, but I think 'on the fence Babs' may have been one who ( actually committed ) and said it would never happen.

Still only conjecture though about the price.

( On this one, I would be surprised myself ).

I was one of those that said NP wouldn't spend £3m on one player. Still stand by it because no way did we pay that for knocky

Archived