Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Transfering Music from an Ipod to a PC

I did this the other day with my iPod, wanted to put the music from my old iTunes into the new one on my new laptop.

Anyway, you have to be careful as you could end up deleting everything that is on your iPod.

Basically, you plug your iPod to your computer through a USB cable and when your iPod is recognized through iTunes you want to click on it.

Then press 'Sync' in the bottom right of your screen and a pop up will give you 3 options; Cancel, Erase and Sync and Transfer purchases.

Chose the latter, 'Transfer Purchases'.

That's all there is to it :D

Hey, I'm a first time poster on foxes talk, so go easy, if you need more help with this or dont understand my comments just let me know and i will try and explain in a better way, as my explanations can be poor!

But to transfer Ipod music to a pc doesnt involve software, there are a few stages to do it, which ive had to use before when computers have crashed or been replaced but want to put my stored music from my ipod back onto the new pc or rebooted one. Its been a few years since ive had to do it but im sure the processes are practically the same (I Hope).

Firstly plug your ipod into your computer.

Go into my computer and click on your ipod, in the removeable storage devices bit.

inside the ipod folder you will have to go onto the organise tab (if using windows vista) and go into "folder and search options"

in "folder and search options" there will be 3 tabs, "general, view and search" located under the top window bar.

Go into the "view" tab and into advanced settings.

in advanced settings there should be "files and folders"

in "files and folders" there should be "hidden files and folders" then in that there should be a choice to click "show hidden files and folders"

its in this bit you will now be able to access your music from your ipod as transparent folders should appear in the first ipod folder when applied.

this is where my memory gets hazey as ive not had to do this in so long as my ipod broke, and i havent got a replacement to find out what the next step is, the folder in which you need to go in could be "ipod music" or "music", but im not 100% sure there options, so let me know if something different comes up But basically what you need to do is find the folder which contains other folders with the following names (there should be a group like this depending on how many songs you have on your ipod ect) something like F0001 F0002 F0003 and so on. in these folders the music should be saved. the music could be saved as clear names of artists and songs or if they were converted onto an itunes from a cd could be named as a series of letters eg WFGH or FMHB.

to put these onto your computer simply copy and paste them from these folders and into a new folder you can easily access in documents eg "Old IPod songs" or something. once they are copied they will therefore be on your computer. then copy these onto your new itunes or what ever you intend to do with them.

As i have said throughout this my memories a bit hazey and it was a few years ago, stuff couldve changed software wise so apple can stop all the copying and stuff which could happen with this. But hopefully not and this will work. All the best

I've done this a few times, I have a problem though, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, knows what is wrong, or if my iPod is simply fucked.

The music I have on my iPod is fine to listen to on my iPod, when I then transfer music off my iPod to my PC my music playsback awful, it skips, tracks stop after 10 seconds, e.t.c, it's not just the odd track either, it's quite a majority of them, i've tired transfer music of my iPod onto my PC using different programs, so it's not that it's a certain program I am using causing the problem.

I don't use my iPod that much any more as I have an iPhone I use that most of the time, but my music is everywhere and get very mixed up, I must have lost loads of music now it's all gone digital - The reason I don't like downloading music, as it's too easy to lose - Atleast with a CD you have a copy that can go anywhere, granted you can lose CD's but it's easier to lose a digital download than a CD.

The music I have on my iPod is fine to listen to on my iPod, when I then transfer music off my iPod to my PC my music playsback awful, it skips, tracks stop after 10 seconds, e.t.c, it's not just the odd track either, it's quite a majority of them, i've tired transfer music of my iPod onto my PC using different programs, so it's not that it's a certain program I am using causing the problem.

This could be the problem. More oftn or not these programs are trial versions and only copy, for example of one I used once, 10 seconds of each song. To copy the whole song you needed the full paid for version.

Archived