Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

BitTorrent - most file-sharers are monitored

BBC

Anyone using file-sharing service BitTorrent to download the latest film or music release is likely to be monitored, UK-based researchers suggest.

A Birmingham University study indicates that an illegal file-sharer downloading popular content would be logged by a monitoring firm within three hours.

The team said it was "surprised" by the scale of the monitoring.

Copyright holders could use the data to crack down on illegal downloads.

The three-year research was carried out by a team of computer scientists who developed software that acted like a BitTorrent file-sharing client and logged all the connections made to it.

BitTorrent is a method of obtaining files by downloading from many users at the same time.

The logs revealed that monitoring did not distinguish between hardcore illegal downloaders and those new to it.

"You don't have to be a mass downloader. Someone who downloads a single movie will be logged as well," said Dr Tom Chothia, who led the research.

"If the content was in the top 100 it was monitored within hours," he said. "Someone will notice and it will be recorded."

Less popular content was also monitored although less frequently, the study indicated.

Marketing tool

The research identified about 10 different monitoring firms logging content. Of these, a handful were identifiable as copyright-enforcement organisations, security firms and even other research labs.

But about six of the biggest-scale monitors were harder to identify, as the companies behind them used third-party hosting firms to run the searches for them.

Why such firms wanted the massive amounts of data was unclear, said Dr Chothia.

"Many firms are simply sitting on the data. Such monitoring is easy to do and the data is out there so they think they may as well collect it as it may be valuable in future," he said.

Some firms alleged to be carrying out mass-scale monitoring have been accused of selling the data to copyright holders for marketing purposes.

"The data shows what content is popular and where," said Dr Chothia.

The study also revealed that so-called blocklists, used by some illegal file-sharers to prevent monitors from connecting to their computers, might not be much use.

"Many of the monitors we found weren't on the blocklists so these measures to bypass the monitors aren't really working," said Dr Chothia.

Hard evidence

Some copyright owners in Europe and the US are using IP addresses gathered by monitoring firms to apply for court orders obliging internet service providers to hand over the physical addresses associated with them.

They are then writing to individuals seeking recompense or warning of the possibility of court action.

But Dr Chothia doubts evidence gathered in this manner would stand up in court.

"All the monitors observed during the study would connect to file-sharers and verify that they were running the BitTorrent software, but they would not actually collect any of the files being shared," he said.

"It is questionable whether the monitors observed would actually have evidence of file-sharing that would stand up in court," he added.

Lawyers have previously cast doubt on whether evidence collected from an IP address can be used in court because such an address pinpoints the internet connection used for downloading rather than a specific individual.

Guest BlueBrett
How do I buy TV series that are only shown on USA cable channels and not yet released anywhere in the world on DVD or BluRay legally?

stream them from tvlinks or somewhere similar

It's ridiculous really.

Monitoring someone for basically stealing a 5 quid cinema ticket or a 10 quid DVD.

Who is doing this? Are there not more important things to worry about?

Somebody steals a massive diamond haul for £10million... you expect them to be tracked, surely?

But you are surprised if a million people stealing £10 are as well?

Somebody steals a massive diamond haul for £10million... you expect them to be tracked, surely?

But you are surprised if a million people stealing £10 are as well?

So how're you going to monitor a million people? Come on, you know those two examples are not comparable. As much as they perhaps should be.

Besides, that's a massively exaggerated figure. I highly doubt that as much as 1/60th of the British Population downloads movies/games illegally.

I'd hazard a guess that if they spent as much time going for the root of the cause (e.g. the website these illegal downloads are made from) then they'd be much more successful.

So how're you going to monitor a million people? Come on, you know those two examples are not comparable. As much as they perhaps should be.

Besides, that's a massively exaggerated figure. I highly doubt that as much as 1/60th of the British Population downloads movies/games illegally.

I'd hazard a guess that if they spent as much time going for the root of the cause (e.g. the website these illegal downloads are made from) then they'd be much more successful.

But they are not downloaded from websites, they are downloaded from other users, the websites just provide the links.

I wouldnt be so fast as to jump to conclusions about this to be honest. Ubisoft recently disclosed information they had that 90% of their games are pirated and not paid for worldwide, the music industry is probably worse than this.

Anyone using file-sharing service BitTorrent to download the latest film or music release is likely to be monitored, UK-based researchers suggest.

A Birmingham University study indicates that an illegal file-sharer downloading popular content would be logged by a monitoring firm within three hours.

The only information they obtain is the IP.

No computer is identified, the information is useless.

The only information they obtain is the IP.

No computer is identified, the information is useless.

Your IP is all they need to prosecute you. All they have to do is ask your ISP what mac address was used to download the data from the IP address, the mac address is hard coded onto your network card, and is sent to your ISP every time you connect to them, so it is in fact extremely easy for them to trace which computer it came from. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of people who get around it by claiming somebody else must have hopped onto their wireless and downloaded the files. I know from personal experience with a friend that this excuse does not work.

The only sure fire way is to buy a new network card, burn the old one, and never download anything illegal ever again. If however you haven't heard anything for two years + your generally in the clear, as your ISP only has to hold the data for two years before they can delete it. Most ISP's are actually against storing this information, but are forced to by the police.

I use a seedbox that's in another country to download my torrents from private torrent sites at very fast speeds (uploads & downloads) then download the files from the seedbox to computer using a secure ftp connection with a client like Cute FTP or Filezilla.

Safest way.

Care to elaborate on what these are?

best for you to google it for you to understand what they actually are, than for me to try and explain in great detail what they are

But basically, they are similar to torrents in many ways

you will have a client reader, and you need access to newsgroups

you normally have to pay for this, although some isp's offer free access but the retention is limited

What you do get from using them, is maxing out your connection at home

you dont share anything, just downloading

I used to use this company

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html?gclid=CLynxfDcqLICFYcKfAodU3QAPA

Archived